PDA

View Full Version : How do i set up a network with 2 laptops and a desktop?

Jinkster
28th Mar 2006, 12:11
How do i set up a network with 2 laptops and a desktop?

We have 2 laptops and a desktop all connected to the internet using a wireless router. All running XP - 2 with Home and 1 with Pro.

What do i have to do to connect it all together to we can share files etc?

Thanks in Advance!

unclenelli
28th Mar 2006, 19:51
I'm assuming that you've already got the router/modem and the hardware fitted to the desktop and the lappys.

best to connect the desktop to the modem by a cat5e cable, as a wireless configuring can die halfway though and leave you unable to talk to the modem for ever......

set the DNS and Gateways on the modem, desktop and lappys as follows:

modem DNS 1.2.3.4
gateway 255.255.255.0 (same for all)

desktop DNS 1.2.3.5
lappy1 DNS 1.2.3.6
lappy2 DNS 1.2.3.7
lappy3 DNS 1.2.3.8 etc etc........

Saab Dastard
28th Mar 2006, 20:37
Fair point about connecting to the WAP over a copper cable, and I'm sure you are trying to help and have the best of intentions, but

set the DNS and Gateways on the modem, desktop and lappys as follows:

modem DNS 1.2.3.4
gateway 255.255.255.0 (same for all)

desktop DNS 1.2.3.5
lappy1 DNS 1.2.3.6
lappy2 DNS 1.2.3.7
lappy3 DNS 1.2.3.8 etc etc........

is just so wrong, it's hard to know where to start!

If all the PCs are already connected to the internet individually via the wireless router, then they already have their IP addresses, subnet mask and default gateway set - presumably via DHCP from the wifi router.

If this is the case, then all the devices can already "talk" to each other - confirm this by going to a command prompt, type ipconfig, find what all the IP addresses are, then "ping each PC from the others.

What you now need to do is to configure each PC's Network Properties with File and Printer Sharing for MS Networks (install this service if it is not already there).

Once all the PCs have this installed, you will then need to decide what directories you wish to share - you should never share the root of C:, btw, for security reasons. Right click on the directory in My Computer, select properties, then Share as - give it an easy name! If you have NTFS partitions rather than FAT or FAT32 you may also need to set Security properties.

You should be able to then browse to the shared folders using My Network Places - you could also map a drive to \\computername\sharename (or \\IP address\sharename).

With XP home you may have to change from "simple" file sharing to actually get to file sharing - I'm sorry, but I can't remember where you make this change (it took me bloody ages to find!) - in XP pro it should just be there.

It also helps if all the PCs are set up to be in the same workgroup. Depending on how you have set up Sharing and Security, you may need to provide a username & password when connecting to the sharefrom another PC.

Remember that with this setup you will have peer-to-peer file sharing, so if the computer you are sharing files with is not there, then you won't be able to see the files! Of course, you could set up the desktop as a "server" in the sense that it is always on, and only share files on it.

Sharing printers is also possible - use the "add printer" wizard once you have a printer set up, working and shared on a PC that has File and Printer Sharing for MS Networks installed.

Good luck.

asuweb
29th Mar 2006, 11:53
If you are using Windows XP on all machines, then the easiest way to set up a network is simply to run the Network Setup Wizard on all three machines, assigning the same workgroup to all of them.

Windows will do the rest.

If you have a firewall (other than the one with SP2) you will most likely have to add the network to the trusted zone. This varies depending on the application used..

Jinkster
30th Mar 2006, 14:36
Thanks - might have a bash at that later :hmm:

:ok: