PDA

View Full Version : SAA 744's to CX as 744BCF's - Will SAA replace the 744's?

scruggs
28th Mar 2006, 09:49
Hi folks,

Just a quick question about SAA's 744's that are going to CX as Boeing Converted Freighters. Sorry if it’s in the wrong forum, and sorry if it’s been discussed in a previous post - apologies made! :)

Are SAA reducing there long-haul fleet size, or are they planning to lease more A340's (A342, 3 or 6)? ZS-SAW is now gutted, and will be off to China soon for BCF conversion. Does anyone know how many 744's, if not all, CX are taking off SAA? I know at least ZS-SAW has left the SAA fleet. Not sure about others.

Thanks in advance for any info. :ok:

All the best,

eP.

akerosid
28th Mar 2006, 10:07
I recall that SAA's CEO has gone on record as saying that the airline would consider A380s, possibly leased through ILFC.

Indeed, ILFC's Steven Udvar-Hazy has said recently that he expects renewed interest in the aircraft, so SAA could be a likely candidate.

Given that the rest of SAA's fleet, apart from the remaining 737s, is Airbus-based, the A380 would make sense - as long as the airline's finances permit it.

Taildragger67
28th Mar 2006, 10:47
My recollection from when SAA decided on the A330/340 was a statement to the effect that the 744s would only hang around for a few more years... the number 8 rings a dusty bell. I think this was before the A380 had been built (I think it was even still the A3XX at that time).

So this kind-of doesn't surprise.

Airliners.net photos from last week:
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1023671/M/
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1023672/M/

scruggs
28th Mar 2006, 14:16
According to the Airbus website, they operate 9 A346s. I assume they are leasing 3 A346's as it says they only ordered 6.

http://www.airbus.com/odxml/orders_and_deliveries.xls

I also see they have no outstanding orders, and as of yet, no A380 orders. Although they may lease. ILFC currently have 5 passenger 380's on order.

I was just wondering if SAA are having to reduce their long-haul network and chopping some destinations, or at least the frequency of some i.e. one of the two daily 744 FAJS-EGLL services. I also believe they send two A346's Frankfurt daily, but don't quote me on it.

Thanks for the replies guys,

eP.

Duchess_Driver
28th Mar 2006, 14:51
While we're on the subject of SAA, can somebody clarify/explain how it is economically viable to leave 3 744's (or 2 744's and an A346) on the ground at LHR every day. From memory there are always a couple on the ground during the day at Frankfurt as well.

Thx.

(This is probably in the wrong thread, but continuing on the SAA theme seemed like a plan)

scruggs
28th Mar 2006, 19:13
Good question, I've often wondered that myself.

eP.

AlphaWhiskyRomeo
28th Mar 2006, 19:58
I guess they are getting a good 12 hours flying on them per day even now.

I suppose the only thing they could do on such a long sector is continue onto another UK or European airport after Heathrow and then fly back to LHR before back to Africa again, but this wouldn't work with timings and might put some passengers off flying with them.

PAXboy
28th Mar 2006, 23:32
The problem is the North ~ South flight, where time zone change is minimal. Both SAA and BOAC used to have daylight flights. For BA they would depart EGLL in the late afternoon and arrive early morning (after a stop in Nairobi) [ahh, the days of VC10] and then do an immediate turn.

Modern biz pax do not like daylight flights and these gradually dissappeared. So we now see that, when SAA arrive in EGLL, they are towed off piste for the day and at weekends you may see three machines (FAJS x 2 + FACT x 1) standing around. Of course, the same - but opposite - is occuring down south!

At FAJS, BA + VS sit around all day, whilst SA get to use the machines for other things or maintenance. Some SA 74's will do a Cape Town return during the day, for example. In FACT, you get the same. Sometimes, VS do a daylight return from CPT as it is more of a tourist route and they will sacrifice the loss of Biz pax, to get the machine home quicker.

When SN (original) were on the BRU~JNB route via KIN, they did a daylight return and helped to keep the cost down but if you look out at FAJS, on almost any day, you will see all of the European birds: LH + AF + KL are alongside VS and BA cooking in the noonday sun.