PDA

View Full Version : pilot jobs nigeria

NIJASEA
28th Mar 2006, 09:30
All nigerian pilots,
When i was in the US during my CPL course i had a cab driver who told me he was nigerian with a CPL but his friends in nigeria kept telling him that the flying situation was not too good in nigeria and as such missed out on a great career in flying.

I suggest all nigerian pilots should come home and find out what is going on for themselves, companies like AERO, BELLVIEW, OVERLAND, CAPILTAL to name a few are in need of crews and trust me when i say they have no choice but to train.

Sorry for this: LETS EXHAUST NIGERIANS BEFORE STEPPING OUTSIDE OUR BORDERS.

jagunmolu
28th Mar 2006, 16:32
:{ Its quite interesting and disheartening to read that Nija pilots are driving cabs in Yankee and then blame it on hearsay that jobs are not available in the country,methinks this is a bull story,when you are not sure of your professionalism as a pilot then you should respect the sensibilities of those that have decided to endure the rigours of getting appropriate pilot jobs they are qualified for.I really do not pity any nija pilot who has descended to ferrying guys about the streets of yankee when there are jobs for the taking in nija, that we even have to looook for foreigners,thats his choice but he would have also had the guts to tell you the WHOLE TRUTH about his situation.

ACN_Pilot
28th Mar 2006, 18:41
The opportunities in Nigeria for freshers are very good, u really cant go wrong. Straight out of school and into a jet/turbo-prop? No wonder we dont have many pilots who were instructors. Milk the opportunities now while they last. And the money especially relative to cost of living, u can save a lot more than your friends in Europe on the wages u get here.

ACN_Pilot

Engine Noise
28th Mar 2006, 18:57
nijasea, were u by any chance at kissimee or orlando florida? i think i met a a nigerian out of orlando int airport that told me the same crap when i told him that i was a nigerian student pilot, though i didnt believe him.
Ours is an impressive thing that people envy and derive pleasure by lying that they are part of us.

Stayinalive
28th Mar 2006, 20:30
Hope he didnt ask u for some investment cash. Pay $50000 and recieve $2mil once transfer is effected......yeah right!

skycaptain81
31st Mar 2006, 09:42
The situation is Nigeria is not bleak,but I must say its great to have a forum like this where Nigerian Pilots Abroad can interact with Nigerian Pilots back home. I trained in the U.S as well, Oakland California to be precise and I met an African Pilot (not Nigerian)who was also a Cab driver.
Well there is hope for Nigerian avaition but it might not be as rosy as people might want you to believe.My two cents to you would be to come to Nigeria and see for yourself if there is an urgent demand for pilots right out of flight school.A type rating on the 737-200/300 series might make you irresistable to "bluebird" as Zazoo calls them.
Remember, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.:ok:

GreenOnGo
31st Mar 2006, 12:00
It seems that there are quite a few shaky operators, so a bit of caution is well advised.

411 B
31st Mar 2006, 13:10
What! Caution in Nigeria. Nah! Africa ain`t for sissys.:}

GreenOnGo
31st Mar 2006, 14:54
Might not be for sissy's. But then I like to fly aircraft that work.

Margarita
31st Mar 2006, 16:26
You will find lot of them from Africa. Some of them work really hard...

lowflare
31st Mar 2006, 21:25
Well with the yellow cab you can always pull over by the road...

NDB17
3rd Apr 2006, 02:07
Naijasea & Jagunmolu,

You guys seem to forget it wasn't long ago guys were going thru hell securing a job in nigeria. I know of guys who spent 6 yrs with WT before being sent for their B737 type training. I know a guy who spent 6yrs and never got typed. Nigeria has been a bad dream to many. The fact that today this guys are desperate doesn't mean all is well and dandy. "Bluetail" was notorious regarding pilot pay. Guys had to wait 2-3 months before being paid and then were only paid for one month.
If you're fortunate to be employed, count your blessings. but presenting the nigerian aviation industry as being rosy is far from the truth.

Cheers

18left
3rd Apr 2006, 12:46
cab driving as an alternative hmmmm
i took the chance of coming home with my faa atpl at a time when there where NO JOBS.I landed a turbo prop job within three months of arrival.
I have been flying in nigeria for almost 14 years now and worked in a couple of airlines and no one till date has EVER owed me salary.
Different strokes for different folks,there are good jobs out there as well as bad ones so choice is yours
.more people have been employed in the last six months in nigeria than probably in the precedding two years put together
summary is if you have not giving it a shot then you loose out big time,you cant get a job from the comfort of you base in the u.s,you have to be physically present but some people are to scared to take the chance,basically no pain no gain
thats the way i think it is

ZAZOO
4th Apr 2006, 18:31
eh ehm skycaptain81!!! Hope I got that right? Its Bluetail Sir, I repeat Bluetail;)

Hi there 18Left:cool:

If you get ATPL OR EVEN PPL and you de drive a yellow cab in yankee, then I must say there is more to that story Haba :ugh:

And for the record I have been offered jobs in socalled better countries and Know what I still like it damn well here in lagos :p

At least with the so called JAR license I never heard of one of our guys putting down his machine in the wrong airport short 5miles from his intended airport, what a disgrace:eek: this Ryan air guys don de take risks oh.