PDA

View Full Version : Let's see what you think...

Conan the Librarian
27th Mar 2006, 21:58
Just hotfooted it back from a voluntary (public duty gland disorder) installation of a new PC/broadband/Wireless network and the new, all singing, but only partially dancing and dysfunctional Dell (not at all impressed to be honest - and it should be a goody)has a quirk which I would like to throw at you all before hitting Dell Tech and shouting "Tilt!!!" tomorrow.

The DVD combo drive will not let me access the files upon the drive, though it seems to autorun porgram CDs. This device is running Win Media Centre, which I have not seen before, though I can hardly imagine it differing from XP to any degree. If you go to Win Explorer, you simply cannot get the highlight to stay on the drive and therefore, explore the alleged goodies within. Everything obvious checked over and it reports a working, enabled state.

Perplexed. Haven't seen this one before...

Conan

VH-GRUMPY
28th Mar 2006, 02:25
Coonan

Have you tried right clicking on the DVD icon and checking out the choices and the properties.

There might be a switch needing to be set under Sharing and Security.

zoink
28th Mar 2006, 11:28
Hey Conan

My first impressions
1) Anti Virus taking way too long to scan the disk hence preventing you from accessing the files through explorer. Perhaps disable antivirus and see if that makes a difference

2) Dodgy DVD recording causing explorer to stall - you could try and validate the disc using something like http://www.infinadyne.com/cddvd_inspector.html

after that i would try and disable the hardware and reinstall the drivers.. might work...

Hope this helps and let us know how you got on... :ok:

Conan the Librarian
28th Mar 2006, 11:35
Thanks Guys, your inpout most appreciated. The problem was installing software and not being able to access supplementary files, so is not "media" (as in movie) related.

I have just come off the phone to Dell who have come up with a strange story. They say that that a new machine needs rebooting several times for the drive to be recognised, which on all my years of mucking about with computers, have never heard before. I will not be able to test this until I go back this evening, but will report back. Sounds a bit dubious to me, but we can try it.

thanks once more,

Conan

PS I did wonder about File sharing being locked. That was an early thought, but all reports ok and was tried with all options. Was beginning to wonder if this wasn't some Microsoft Media Centre jewel regarding Digital Rights Management for a while, but that was maybe a tad cynical...

CBA_caption
28th Mar 2006, 16:09
Conan,

Media Center (SP! Why couldn't they simply change the letters for the UK version?) is merely XP Pro with an extra bit of software. I think the reason they sell it as a new type of XP is to make sure people have compatible TV cards etc. Stops Jonny Nobrains trying an upgrade and not understanding why he can't record Eastenders!

DRM should not be an issue, it'll cripple Vista, but thats a different thread altogether!

Have you tried disabling it in control panel/system/hardware/. Then removing the driver. Reboot with it enabled and get a windows auto-install?

Personally I never believe anything a call centre has to say. I just go through the motions to add ammo to my complaint. Not had expericence with Dells' CC mind you.

CBA

DBTL
28th Mar 2006, 17:33
There's this mythical Upper/Lower Filters issue in 2000/XP.
This may not be the solution to your current problem, but sooner or later you'll encounter the Filters weirdness.

http://dvdxcopy.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/39462

http://www.mcse.ms/archive54-2005-4-1428182.html

Conan the Librarian
28th Mar 2006, 22:57
well, it is all sorted. Oddly enough, Dell, were right. After another two reboots, the system allowed full access to files in the D drive. Still not happy with the machine though as it feels oddly unresponsive for a well specified system. On the whole, it works, but I really can't give it more than 6/10.

Convergance means all sorts of odd bells and whistles, with remote controls, set top boxes for TV and radio and yes - you are quite right - Windows Media Center (Ye Gods, that grates as much as the only option for language being English (American) ) but the technology is becoming more streamlined and though many of us could have achieved the same results three years ago, today's offering has a lot fewer wires.

Another whinge afore ye go. 6 USB inputs, but two taken up by a horrible USB keyboard and even more horrible USB ball driven mouse. That leaves just four. Dunno if they sell USB hubs yet, but if not, it won't be long....

Thanks again everyone.

Conan