PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding V Bomber NBS system - parts needed

Self Loading Freight
27th Mar 2006, 21:29
There's a rather remarkable Dutch woman called Tatjana van Vark (http://www.tatjavanvark.nl/index.html#works). She does things like build Enigma machines, miniature working replicas of H2S and... well, all manner of bizarre yet joyous stuff. I have nothing to do with her besides being besotted with her creations, which have an absolutely correct aesthetic.
One of the things she's doing is rebuilding a working Navigation and Bombing System (NBS), as used in the Victor, Vulcan and Valiant. I've never seen one of these before, and it looks the most remarkable example (http://www.tatjavanvark.nl/tvve/dduck0.html) of pre-digital Heath Robinson avionics going. This stuff does it for me, I have to admit, and some of the videos on her site of various bits twirling, scanning and twizzling around are quite bizarre. The bomb drop sequence is positively chilling... as is the thought of something quite so improbable being stuffed in the back of a large aircraft and controlling world destruction. The thought of being the operator of said equipment is even more outlandish.
But she's missing some bits. Anyone got
1 - Rectifier CP16
2 - Filmcassettes for R88 / R110 camera
3 - Watch assembly MA/5102 for R88 / R110 camera
4 - Calculator Type 7
5 - Remote control unit for (4)
6 - Remote control unit automatic for (4) ?

The Swinging Monkey
28th Mar 2006, 05:47
Try a guy called 'Johnny Birkett' in Lincoln.
Johnny purchased all of the old H2S and NBS stuff from Waddo and Scampton when the jets were being scrapped. He is a radio enthusiast and electronics wizzard type chap, and whenever I used to go in there, he had all sorts of radar bits and pieces lying around. You never know, he might just have the bits she needs.
He has a shop up steep hill in Lincoln.
pm me if you need any further contact info.
Kind regards
TSM

forget
28th Mar 2006, 07:33
Truly amazing lady! But does she know what she’s attempting in producing a working NBS! Something the entire technical might of the RAF failed to do throughout the sixties.:p

windriver
28th Mar 2006, 07:47
Try the Victor Association... [email protected]

Self Loading Freight
28th Mar 2006, 11:57
I did wonder about posting this to the Mil forum, but I'm not sure my banter's up to snuff! Robust people in there.

As for Birkett's - I know it (and that hill) well, Horatio. I've bought 'scopes and geiger counters from there in the days I had occasion to go to Lincoln. Much better than Bogey Knights on Mutton Cove in Plymouth, from where I once had occasion to lug back a monstrous radar indicator unit off the Ark Royal.

Certainly worth investigating, as is the Victor Association.

Thanks, everyone.

R

PPRuNe Pop
28th Mar 2006, 16:38
The thread belongs here. I'll see about linking Mil to it if it gathers pace as they say.

PPP

ZH875
28th Mar 2006, 19:42
What a wonderful effort, Happy memories. It is not until you see the boxes wired on a rig, that you realise just how many there were.

Any plans to have a GPI Mk6 installed instead of the Mk4.

Blacksheep
4th Apr 2006, 02:40
When I was a Vulcan electrician ('66 to '69) that stuff were so top secret we had to take an oath to keep our eyes shut when we were working in the cabin. ;)

Actually, I think 'they' were afraid the Russians would discover we were still using stuff that had seen service over the Third Reich! I'm amazed that anyone would attempt to get a set working again, but I'm sure there are lots of ex 'Nav Rads' out there who would love to have a go on it.

Gainesy
4th Apr 2006, 10:05
Though I was Ground Radar, initially, Plessey plugs, soldering of, the sheer horror is flooding back.:uhoh: