PDA

View Full Version : Air Jamaica at LHR

myrtleman
27th Mar 2006, 07:07
Last couple of days Air Jamaica have flown a EuroAtlantic 767 and a World Airlines MD11 into LHR in place of their normal craft.

Anyone know the reason for this and how long it's going to continue??

MM

older_wiser
27th Mar 2006, 17:01
A couple of weeks ago Air Jamaica's usual Airbus A340 banked into the grass whist Taxing, I am led to believe that several brake cables etc were damaged in the process
I am suprised this wasn't posted here somewhere, however this left them short of an aircraft, hence the leasing of the Aircraft you mention. The 767 returned to Lisbon today so it can be assumed that they are close to getting their own plane back.

Rampmole
27th Mar 2006, 17:08
Air Jamaica runway excursion look it up in search!!

NWT
28th Mar 2006, 07:20
The runway incident (taxi way actualy) aircraft was repaired at LHR and returned to service some time back. Believe the subcharters were due to routine hangar maintenance on the fleet.

WHBM
28th Mar 2006, 10:14
This is one of those things for operators with only one or two aircraft of a type, and who programme them fully, they will need to get cover for routine checks, AOG, etc. Step forward Air Atlanta, Euro Atlantic, etc. Although they seem to charge an arm and a leg per flying hour, including positioning in from maybe thousands of miles away, and their fleet may not be in its first flush of youth, it's still much cheaper than keeping a spare aircraft.

Having said that, some operators seem to need more substitution than others, the Caribbean A340 operators seemingly being a case in point. Being an old hand I remember when Braniff used to operate a 747 (in a distinctive all-orange livery) into Gatwick on a daily roundtrip from Dallas. They only had a few hours turnround at both ends, only one aircraft in the fleet for a long time, and yet over some years I never saw a substitution. Anyone with 747 maintenance experience will know this was a particular feat !

Bumz_Rush
28th Mar 2006, 11:26
One morning when the 747 had landed at Gatwick I heard the controller ask the crew if all their 747 fleet were orange...he replied YES.....Not actually a lie.....
Bumz