PDA

View Full Version : 3 Sqn

ORAC
27th Mar 2006, 06:21
The Times: Take-off for RAF squadorn flying £45m Eurofighter Typhoons

The first RAF squadron formed entirely of Eurofighter Typhoon aircraft is to be established this week, 30 years after the fighter jet was conceived. No 3 (Fighter) Squadron will be formally launched at RAF Cottesmore in Rutland on Saturday, although the squadron will not be ready for operations until next year........

Stitchbitch
27th Mar 2006, 08:26
I take it that 3(F) has been disbanded and will stand up again on Typhoon or is it just swapping from Gr.7a/9 ?

OCCWMF
27th Mar 2006, 08:43
3 = 1/2 as good as their new neighbours in Echo (mathematically speaking of course:} )

ConingsbyFlyingClub
27th Mar 2006, 09:02
Pity Shi**y Six arn't Disbanding!!!

Bob Viking
27th Mar 2006, 09:09
Wash your mouth out.
You have left me with no other option.
I challenge you to a duel Sir.
BV:mad: :E

ConingsbyFlyingClub
27th Mar 2006, 09:48
Touched a nerve did I?? Just lettting u know that most people here would rather you disbanded than come to Conz. Just a flying club for next 18 months. I don't think there's much chance of you deploying on ops!!! See you next monday 6am sharp!!

Kitbag
27th Mar 2006, 10:34
Just a simple question before the mud slinging starts, could 3 be ready to show the flag more effectively than 6 can now, and will continue to be able to do so for the next 18 months, providing any sort of capability that really matters in the current climate? ;)

Bob Viking
27th Mar 2006, 10:48
Mine was harmless banter.
Yours was not.
Wind it in pinhead.
BV:*

pr00ne
27th Mar 2006, 11:03
ORAC,

Wow, I never realised the "fighter jet" was only concieved in 1976!

3 Sqn on Typhoon at RAF Cottesmore? Shurely some mistake? I also thought that both 17 and 29 were composed "entirely" of Eurofighter Typhoon aircraft?

Bob Viking,

A quick question, when Shi**y Six move from Coltishall to Coningsby, will they leave their ground crew behind? :)

Pr00ne

ex-54, apparantly BEFORE the invention of the 'fighter jet'

Bob Viking
27th Mar 2006, 11:09
Now that's more like it....Banter! That's what we like to see!
BV;)

BEagle
27th Mar 2006, 11:23
Presumably they mean 30 years after the AST403, EuropHoon, FCA, EF Y2K, ACA, EAP or whatever it was called back then was first conceived? Rather than any 'fighter jet'?

1972 was the AST403 specification date, nicht wahr?

ConingsbyFlyingClub
27th Mar 2006, 14:17
Chill man...Don't worry i'll leave some milk out everynight!!! :ok:

Al Fresco
27th Mar 2006, 17:39
Sorry ConingsbyFlyingClub, what Op is the Typhoon about to be deployed on?

Presumably something in 323B that doesn't result in any bomb actually leaving the ac!

ZH875
27th Mar 2006, 18:00
Typhoon is cleared for Op Runway Denial.

It can make a right mess of Runways, who needs bombs when you have a bicycle undercarriage...

Kitbag
27th Mar 2006, 18:08
ZH875, be careful, you may shatter some delicate and overinflated egos in Lincolnshire. I do look forward to the first operational deployment, or even a good Opeval result, you know, like the Jags and Tonkas and Harriers have actually achieved, delivering the goods, on target, on time. Suppose 2010 might see it happen? :ok:

ConingsbyFlyingClub
27th Mar 2006, 18:08
Tottaly agree with you ref Typhoon...More chance of the Spits and Huricanes of BBMF seeing some action!!!!

ZH875
27th Mar 2006, 18:39
overinflated egos in LincolnshireAnd there was me thinking the overinflated ego's were just over the border in Cambridgeshire.:p

Lima Juliet
27th Mar 2006, 18:47
ZH875

Very funny mate. Top banter!! I wondered what was going to replace JP233 - now I know:ok:

LJ

ZH875
27th Mar 2006, 21:23
What Will the Ex Harrier pilots do with their Personality Modules?, as there is no where to plug them in on Typhoon.:D

Kitbag
29th Mar 2006, 13:51
Just watched the guys leaving for Coningsby, sad day for Coltishall

Be lucky

Pontius Navigator
1st Apr 2006, 07:29
3 Sqn and the Mach 4 fighter.

I see from today's Torygraph that the Typhoon can get from TO to 12000 in 4 seconds. Maybe the g-loading stoppe dthe journos watch.

Also the boss said it was the biggest quantum leap in technology. Another one? I would have thought the ability to fly twice as high and twice as fast could be considered a quantum leap. When combined with quantum physics one bomber could replace 1000 bombers.

Yes, the 50s was the one and only quantum leap.

That is not to denigrate a sparkling performance that has been absent this past few years.

NURSE
1st Apr 2006, 08:52
well good luck to 3 with their new Aircraft. Will they deploy operationally before 800 Sqn Fleet Air Arm?

Bismark
1st Apr 2006, 11:01
well good luck to 3 with their new Aircraft. Will they deploy operationally before 800 Sqn Fleet Air Arm?

Don't think so as 800 deploy in a few weeks aboard ILLUSTRIOUS. Presumably 3 Sqn (Typhoon) won't be operational for many years yet as the a/c has no capability to be operational?

Pontius Navigator
1st Apr 2006, 16:25
I see I was wrong about the Typhoon and the Torygraph report. It was actually flown from RAF Cottesmore in Rutland and demonstrated its vast array of weaponry load - it said in the Daily Mail so it must be true.

I wonder how Ch Tech Vaughan Williams feels about it now? Is he a stringer for the DM or merely a composer?:rolleyes:

bird99
4th Apr 2006, 22:23
Bismark

i'm sure it won't be long before 800 deploy operationally, but they are going to the boat in short order for an exercise.

WhiteOvies
5th Apr 2006, 14:23
I'm sure in due course 800 NAS will enjoy the 'Stan. Most of the guys on the Sqn have been out there once or twice already. 31st March Operational as 3(F) Sqn, 1st April (well 3rd April, even the FAA tries not to work w/ends) not Operational as 800 NAS. Personnel pretty much unchanged over the weekend, bar the OC (RAF) to CO (RN). Political point making anyone?:hmm:

pr00ne
5th Apr 2006, 14:33
WhiteOvies,

I don't know about political point making, even I wouldn't begrudge the Navy having RN OC's for their two squadrons, BUT, why, if the folk are the same, the jet is the same, the role is the same, the home airfield is the same, have they become non operational almost overnight because they now wear a different badge, have a new OC and are called 800 rather than 3?

WhiteOvies
5th Apr 2006, 14:47
pr00ne,
I'd love to know, above my pay grade though! No-one I've spoken to knows. Does get the lads out of an Op tour to 'Stan but puts more pressure on 1 and 4 as someone still has to be out there doing the biz.

LateArmLive
5th Apr 2006, 17:06
800NAS won't be getting out of any future tour to the Stan, indeed if the deployment continues they will be replacing IV(AC) as planned in the Autumn. Whenever a new Sqn stands up it is "non-operational", I don't think there is any political point-making going on.
Having said that, if something were to happen the newly formed Sqn could and would deploy very successfully in very little time.