PDA

View Full Version : Belkin54g Router Help Please

5milesbaby
26th Mar 2006, 16:47
Hi there, I've had to fully re-format the desktop non-wireless computer (following a stupid drunken click turning off the firewall!!). The Belkin router was connected by the correct ethernet cable and all worked fine before, and the laptop picked up the signal wirelessly without any problems. I've tried getting the LAN setup again on the desktop using the exact settings I used before but it just will not see the Belkin connection. I'm sending this using the laptop so the router obviously works and has full connection. The laptop has never had the ISP software installed and still hasn't to this day, it just finds the router, has the WEP already in its 'brain' and off it goes. With the desktop I've done the same as before, established the internet connection using the ISP software and Speedtouch 330 modem, and then tried to set up a home network and connect to the router. Is this the right way to do things? As I say, the router is configured as the laptop uses it perfectly.

If someone could please give me the full steps for getting the desktop to recognise and connect through the router it would be really appreciated, so I can see where I've gone wrong or missed out, I'm not great at the techy stuff but can get my head around most of it. I've tried running the wizards for Home Networking etc but none came up good.

On a side, does anyone know why when I plug the wireless router into another splitter in another room, it'll only establish a connection when the desktop is switched on and connected using the Speedtouch OR when the desktop is off and Speedtouch unplugged from the phone socket? I would have thought that as its configured the laptop can use the router whereever its plugged into the home phone line, and don't understand how the desktop/Speedtouch can interfere with this!

Thanks to anyone who gets this far and can give an answer!

5mb :ok:

mdc
26th Mar 2006, 18:21
Does this wireless contain a ADSL modem, or are you making a connection to the internet via your desktop and ADSL speedtouch modem ? I ask this as I'm a little confused if you've posted the message via the wireless laptop, then you must have a internet connection, and if this is the case and the your only connection is via the speedtouch modem, then obviously the desktop is connected to the wireless router, otherwise the laptop couldn't reach the internet. If this is the case I assume your using Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on your desktop,

If however the router contains a ADSL modem, then where are you bothering with the speedtouch modem plugged into the desktop ? In this case you'd just setup up your desktop to receive a DHCP address from the router.

Could you clarify your setup ?

DBTL
26th Mar 2006, 19:44
First, is your desktop having all its drivers installed? If you did a format you likely lost all drivers that were not included in your OS distribution package. Go Control Panel - System - Devices - Device Manager and check for exclamation marks anywhere. Then decide what you need by e.g. checking the manufacture's website.

2nd Q:
Is you combine ADSL and analogue devices on a single phone line, all analogue devices must be installed behind an ADSL filter box or filter plug, otherwise neither class of devices will work properly.

ex_matelot
26th Mar 2006, 20:31
Im using a belkin and had exactly the same prob as you last week when I had to totally reinstall XP on my laptop.Spent hours farting about,using the same settings but could not connect.I then resorted to the helpline and the initial automated message told me to unplug the modem and router and then reattach.I did this and all was well!

I then did not know how to secure my network so had to phone them anyway..

The helpline is a pain as you can be waiting for ages but they take your number and actually call you back (11;45pm in my case)-presume they are international as I had great difficulty explaining to and understanding the Asian soundin guy on the other end.I found the interractive setup on their website does not actually reflect what happens when you follow their steps..It apparently needs updating and I had to be given info over the phone that is still not available on their site.

Hope thats helpful.

Edit..

My network consists of 2 laptops,mine (the master one) detects as soon as I switch it on.To connect to a network I go to network connections and click search available wireless networks..yours should then be detected if your laptop has wifi enabled-all you do then is click connect to network and if required enter your network key.If you have forgot the key then please say as that was what happened to me..then I'll try to describe how i got around that.

Saab Dastard
26th Mar 2006, 21:11
5mb, as DBTL mentioned - have you got the correct driver for the network card installed?

Next, assuming the drivers are correct, is the card configured correctly - at a minimum, you should have Client for MS networks and Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) installed.

The network properties for the card are the next things to check - I assume your Belkin is providing IP configuration via DHCP, so both Obtain IP address and Obtain DNS information should be set to automatic.

Assuming all this is correct, you can confirm the network properties by opening a command prompt and typing ipconfig /all. You should get see a valid IP address (probably 192.168.0x.x), default gateway (the Belkin) and the DNS servers from your ISP (vis the Belkin). If you have an auto address 169.x.x.x or a 127.0.0.1, then you are not receiving the information from the Belkin via DHCP.

If your Belkin is NOT configured to provide IP information via DHCP, then you will need to supply all the information yourself - it will be identical to your laptop, except for a different IP address to the laptop.

Assuming that all the settings look correct, try pinging the belkin from the desktop.

The only other thing that could be causing problems is the firewall - disconnect the belkin from the internet, then disable the firewall on your desktop, then run through the above to see if you can connect.

BLUE SKY THINKER
27th Mar 2006, 00:49
5milesbaby . . . . .

Same reformat/same Belkin router(ADSL version)/same problem, several months ago.

Like mdc, a bit puzzled by all these modems and routers. ...To repeat his question, is the Belkin ADSL 54g (presumably not, otherwise your ethernet cable would be in there)? ...Anyway, the only point I was going to make was that the start sequence seems somewhat relevant in all this, or certainly was in my case. ...Everything needs powering down and disconnecting first. ...Then (if applicable) make ethernet connection to router, phone connection to router, then turn router power on. ...Only lastly turn on computer(s). ...I got the impression some sort of router reboot or default setting is activated in this way. ...Certainly had no in luck trying to plug a live 'on' computer into the router and expecting it to reconfigure. ...Maybe similar with a modem and router in your case if there is actually a reason why they are both necessary.

Good luck.

5milesbaby
27th Mar 2006, 11:15
Thankyou one and all for your help, you never let me down! It was 2 very simple/stupid mistakes that I knew was probably me!

Firstly I followed DBTL's advice to see the device manager and lo and behold, the ethernet driver/device and USB hubs had yellow question marks, the wizard found these on a setup disk I got for an old computer, not this one!!! As soon as these were installed the home network was detected and activated.

I still had a problem connecting to the net and couldn't understand why until I went into the Belkin settings page and remembered I'd recently changed the ISP password and hadn't updated the Belkin. I'm proud to say I'm now typing this on the desktop connected via the Belkin!

To answer the other queries, I was able to connect the desktop via the Speedtouch330 ADSL which has to be installed initially with the BTYahoo Broadband software as I haven't got a copy of their software installation without modem. When I plugged the Belkin in, the desktop couldn't see it but the laptop connected wirelessly and got an instant connection (although how with the password change I don't know!). The Belkin is the 54g ADSL modem with wireless router and does configure fortunately via DHCP.

I knew it did work as I'd had the connection with it for over a year before I hit 'that' button. My other quiery was why wouldn't the Belkin and Speedtouch work simultaneously, plugged into different filters, but realise now that it was due to the Belkin having the wrong password saved!

Anyhow, thanks once again everyone, I'll try and keep my mouse pointer away from dodgy buttons in the future!

5mb :ok:

Tosh McCaber
27th Mar 2006, 17:45
Don't know if it helps, but Belkin have a free tech support line, open 24/7.

Tel. No. 00-800-223-55-460

I've used it with good success for my router/modem. It is wireless, but the helpline will hopefully help you, or re-route you (oops-sorry!) to a helpline for non-wireless.