PDA

View Full Version : Defection from 609 Sqdn immediately pre-war

Gonzo
26th Mar 2006, 10:08
I'm just re-reading Patrick Bishop's excellent 'Fighter Boys', and it tells that a member of 609 Squadron 'defected' in the build up to World War Two. Is there any more information regarding this, or perhaps it was some sort of typo/proof read error and there was a desertion rather than a defection?

Footless Halls
28th Mar 2006, 19:06
Think there might have been an article about something relating to this in 'Aeroplane' mag a while ago. I recall that it related to a Hurricane, but I think it might have been a Belgian pilot in the early years of the War?

Tocsin
30th Mar 2006, 18:02
609 never flew Hurricanes - it was Hinds to 1938, Spitfires early in the war, followed by Typhoons.
The Squadron is active today (in a ground role) and there is also an association - see www.609wrsquadron.co.uk.
I've never heard of an airborne defection/desertion from the UK though!!

Gonzo
30th Mar 2006, 21:12
Well, I'd never heard of it before either.....must have missed it the first time I read the book.

green granite
2nd Apr 2006, 15:57
don't remember any mention of it in "The History Of 609 Squadron" by Frank Zeigler

Gainesy
4th Apr 2006, 10:07
Gonza,
Can you say which page its on? Have read the book but don't recall that bit.

Gonzo
4th Apr 2006, 22:22
Gainesy, halfway down page 99, in the hardback edition.

Gainesy
5th Apr 2006, 08:21
Found it, thanks.

Its written rather vaguely but I think he uses the word "defect" in the sense that when 609Sqn were called to active duty, one of the pilots declined to go, rather than in the now accepted sense of the word.