PDA

View Full Version : IREX exam - questions?

halfmoon
26th Mar 2006, 00:15
I am having great difficulty passing the IREX exam. I have failed 3 times! My last results were 63%. I believe some questions were not answered correctly on behalf of CASA or whoever grades them. I have included a couple that i remember here!

1) PVT NGT VFR flight, what are the recency requirments to act as PIC? NOT CHTR!!

2) Looking at the Cairns approach charts, what is the ALTERNATE MINIMA if the HIAL are not operational?

Is the alternate minima changed if the HIAL is not operational? I can't find anywhere it says that.

thanks.. just curious how many people fail this much?

all help appreciated

hair of the dogma
26th Mar 2006, 01:46
I passed mine on the third attempt - 69 %, 69% and then 72%. I think there is a lot to be desired about the marking on that exam.

There was one question on one of the attempts that I got wrong that was simply extracting a LSALT from an ERC. I double checked in the exam, checked it when I got home and I was right. The wonderful people at ASL have it all sown up though - it costs more to have the marking checked than to do the exam. I took the exam again.

UnderneathTheRadar
26th Mar 2006, 02:31
The IREX exam struck me as an exercise in me being required to show that I knew where to find all the relevant info to make the flight legal before departure. The CIR test should check that you're legal once you've departed!

I think in your situation you need to have a little bit of a mental checklist in your head for each question type - for each type of question I need to check x, y and z. The ATC IFR reference quide might be worth investment to help you grasp the various locations of relevant info....

Using your second example first, alternate minima for Cairns is going to depend upon whether your aircraft and the airport allow you to use the special alternate minimum. Just looking at the chart won't tell you when you can/can't use the special alternate - you need to reference what the AIP tells you (I think AIP ENR 1.5 refers). So for EVERY question related to minima I wouldn't chose an answer until I'd referenced (I use Jepps) the AIR TRAFFIC CONTOL section, the TERMINAL text section and the charts - even if I thought I knew what the answer was from the chart. If there was any doubt about the aircraft I would also check the CAOs too. In the end, I changed my mind on 2 answers after going through this process. Likewise, any question relating to lighting - reference each of the AIP, CAOs (for a/c & pilot issues) and ERSA.

For PVT NVFR ops - it's spelt out very clearly in the CAOs. DON'T try and learn all the combinations - just remember which orders are important and go and read them in the exam. (Please tell me you are taking the CAOs in - you can print off the relevant ones if you don't own a set (although my ASL lady was pretty dopy - others may not let you do this)).

The only other advice I can offer is to use all the time they offer. Of the 4 people sitting IREX with me, I was the last left by a good 45 minutes. 2.5 hours is plenty of time to check every reference you have for every question so use it - 150 minutes for 50 marks is 3 minutes per question - if you know where to find stuff in your books then that's plenty.

HTH - UTR.

PS Everyone makes stupid mistakes and I have a wonderful habit of overcomplicating some questions - but the above served me well and 93% first time should back that up.

PPS Dogma - the LSALT question 'trick' that always seemed to crop up in practice questions and on the exam was the method of LSALT calculation that involves drawing a circle around your DR position of radius 20% of the distance from the last positive fix and working out LSALT from there. Even my ATO had no idea what I was talking about during the flight test.

Not saying you were wrong but I didn't find any LSALT questions that involved simply extracting the info from the ERC - there was always a secondary consideration in there somewhere!

LUCKY-1
26th Mar 2006, 05:42
Halfmoon. I tried self study several times with results of 69% etc. Did a two week course with the old Master "Bob Tait" in Brisbane and managed to top the class. One great trick is to purchase a CD of practice exams and work through them. This is a fair ball buster of an exam, but there is a fair chance that knowing your stuff may save your passengers life one day, not to mention a perfectly good aeroplane. Work hard and you'll get there.
Cheers, Lucky

Aussie
26th Mar 2006, 05:49
Mate, i agree with lucky.

Use the bob tait book. I self studied Bob tait and passed with flying colours first go.

Try him, he knows his stuff!!

Aussie

Going Nowhere
26th Mar 2006, 06:03
I also agree with the others,
88% first time with Bob Tait's book.

SPEEDI
26th Mar 2006, 06:05
Who is bob tait? and can someone PM me details on where i could buy his book or get in contact with him

thanks

Capt Fathom
26th Mar 2006, 06:54
Who is bob tait?
Do not pass GO, do not collect $200! Young people today...!! :ugh:

dxbpilot
26th Mar 2006, 07:31
check out http://www.bobtait.com.au/

If your not the most proficient at theory try bobs books , I did 2 CPL subjects in his classes and self studied the rest using his books, had no issues , hes a real character !

heres a extract from his CPL Performance book

-What if the ZFW is not in the envelope ?

1.You may shift your weight
2.You may add extra weight as ballast
3. you may subtract weight and leave it behind
4.You may do any combination of these
5.You may slash your wrists

ha good luck next time !

halfmoon
26th Mar 2006, 20:29
thanks for all the input. I have been using the ATC book. it is straight forward but lacks practise exams.

Can someone answer this questions-

Is it in the AIP that if the HIAL is out of service then the ALTERNATE MINIMA is changed??

ALSO, In CAO 40.2.?? if operating under PVT NGT VFR flight what are the recency requirements? i took it word by word from the CAO and not one choice on the cyber exam was there. There was CHTR ops but not PVT/AWK.

thanks

Capt Fathom
26th Mar 2006, 23:38
It's all in the books. You need to know where everything is, and practice finding it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does the ALTERNATE Minima change if the HIALS is out of service?
Not that I'm aware. (It's been a while!!)
It DOES change the LANDING Visibility Minima!
All in AIP ENR 1.5, paras 5 to 9 (in particular 5.4)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
CAO's

SECTION 40.2.1 Para 14
FLIGHT BY NIGHT UNDER NIGHT V.F.R. PROCEDURES

14.1 A particular grade of command instrument rating authorises the holder of the rating to fly an aircraft...etc...etc...in the following circumstances:

(a) Private and aerial work flights under night V.F.R. procedures provided the pilot meets the aeronautical and recent experience requirements applicable to a night V.F.R. endorsement.

For those recency requirements, you GOTO:

SECTION 40.2.2 Para 5
RECENT EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS

Keep Practicing! ;)

novicef
27th Mar 2006, 01:56
Is this IREX exam this difficult? A friend of mine did IREX and passed it first time. Then self studied all his ATPL, had to repeat 2 of his exams because he spent more time on his play station games then studying.

His opinion on the exams were that they were reasonably straight forward compared to university and the only reason for the repeats was that after 4 years of study at uni he couldn't get motivated.

rmcdonal
27th Mar 2006, 02:21
Some people find the IREX hard, others find it easy. Same way some people find Flight Planning harder then Systems, and vis versa. I think it depends on your learning style.

halfmoon
27th Mar 2006, 03:43
Capt Fathom,

You are right!! And that is exactly where I looked in the CAO's. THIS IS WHY I THINK THERE ARE BOGUS QUESTIONS! There was no option for PVT or AWK NGT VFR recency in in the 4 options available on the exam.
Not to mention the ALT MINIMA for Cairns with the HIAL out. To the best of my knowledge and the hours I have spent studying this, the ALT MINIMA does not change if the HIAL is out of service.
It's really frustrating when I fork out $175 for each exam plus a 4 hour drive to the nearest exam centre to have this crap pulled on me by CASA and ASL.

Naughty S
27th Mar 2006, 05:16
Study program after failing IREX.
DAY 1 - Insert 6 pack (full strength) x 2 if required.
DAY 2 - Get AIP look in section Pg no ENR 1.5 -31 refer to 5.4 runways equipped with HIAL NO ILS. If its out and the vis is below the minima plus the 900m then alternate required. ILS ENR 1.5 -33 Section 8 for ILS 1.5Km no HIAL then vis <1.5Km alternate required.
DAY 3 - Pass IREX
DAY 4 - Refer to Day 1

AerocatS2A
27th Mar 2006, 09:17
Capt Fathom,
You are right!! And that is exactly where I looked in the CAO's. THIS IS WHY I THINK THERE ARE BOGUS QUESTIONS! There was no option for PVT or AWK NGT VFR recency in in the 4 options available on the exam.
Not to mention the ALT MINIMA for Cairns with the HIAL out. To the best of my knowledge and the hours I have spent studying this, the ALT MINIMA does not change if the HIAL is out of service.

Are you sure you read and understood the exam questions?

Can you remember what the actual questions were? How they were worded and what the possible answers were?

You're right that the alternate minima doesn't change, but the landing minima does for an NPA. (Add 900m to the required visibility.)

UnderneathTheRadar
27th Mar 2006, 10:36
Study program after failing IREX.
DAY 1 - Insert 6 pack (full strength) x 2 if required.
DAY 2 - Get AIP look in section Pg no ENR 1.5 -31 refer to 5.4 runways equipped with HIAL NO ILS. If its out and the vis is below the minima plus the 900m then alternate required. ILS ENR 1.5 -33 Section 8 for ILS 1.5Km no HIAL then vis <1.5Km alternate required.
DAY 3 - Pass IREX
DAY 4 - Refer to Day 1

Naughty S - no disrespect but you're incorrect. Lack of HIAL makes no difference to the alternate planning rules You're quoting from the section on applying the approach minima when you actually arrive - as Aerocat and others have said, HIAL or lack thereof makes no difference to alternate planning.

Halfmoon - a very good example of reading the question and referring to ALL relevant sections of the docs.

For the PVT/AWK NVFR recency information CAO40.2.2 Appendix 1 Section 5 spells out the recency requirements for a NVFR rating. Other documents (the CARs) then add on ADDITIONAL requirements for each of PVT/AWK with passengers; CHTR etc etc. The key numbers are:
- 1 hour night in last 12 months (note that a 100nm cross country trip doesn't apply to pvt/awk) PIC or dual or ICUS
- 1 takeoff & landing in last six months for solo
And that's all (the 3 takeoffs and landings in last 90 days is in the CARs)

UTR

Naughty S
27th Mar 2006, 23:14
No offence taken my post was a little tongue in cheek.

For the exam and operationally however if the visibility is below the approach minima an altrnate should be planned. Have a look at CS 15 ILS note 5 the alternate minima is 4.4 above the app min of 1.2 and when the HIAL is not working.

Cheers

UnderneathTheRadar
27th Mar 2006, 23:38
Fair call - except if the visibility is below the minima then it is certain to be below the alternate minima - therefore even if you make the adjustments to the approach minima (from 1200 to 1500m at CS), the alternate minima vis of 4400m hasn't changed - which is what Halfmoon was asking for the exam.

UTR

halfmoon
27th Mar 2006, 23:42
For the PVT/AWK NVFR recency information CAO40.2.2 Appendix 1 Section 5 spells out the recency requirements for a NVFR rating. Other documents (the CARs) then add on ADDITIONAL requirements for each of PVT/AWK with passengers; CHTR etc etc. The key numbers are:
- 1 hour night in last 12 months (note that a 100nm cross country trip doesn't apply to pvt/awk) PIC or dual or ICUS
- 1 takeoff & landing in last six months for solo
And that's all (the 3 takeoffs and landings in last 90 days is in the CARs)
UTR

Thankyou. This was not an option in the exam. I studied this one question for probably 20 min in the exam room. I know this is the correct answer though. This is why I say there are BOGUS questions in there by mistake or carlessness on behalf of both CASA and ASL and i'm sure others agree with me.

But thanks for the help everyone. This post is making me angry.

AerocatS2A
28th Mar 2006, 00:09
So what were the options for that question?

Naughty S
28th Mar 2006, 00:58
Go and buy the Rob Avery sample exams r.e. Aviation shop all the pilot stores sell them. They will cover every area for the exam if you can score a pass then go again. The exam before KDR had almost a 70% first time failure rate.

If wx below app minima alternate reqd in spite of alternate wx box if you continue on then common sense requires a backup escape route.

For the NVFR the question relates to a PVT/AWK so if it not CHTR you are not considering the NVFR 100Nm because it relates to CHTR only. Hence why it was not an answer as you are talking about AWK/PVT refer CAO 40.2.2 App I Section 5 1 hour night and 1 circuit.

Stay focused on the exam if you are scoring just below the 70% then there must be other areas you need to focus on as well. Its basically a flight rules exam with some met thrown in. Rob Averys exams will help as I have used them many a time when teaching this stuff. :ok:

Cheers

AerocatS2A
28th Mar 2006, 04:25
If wx below app minima alternate reqd in spite of alternate wx box if you continue on then common sense requires a backup escape route.

The approach minima is not relevant as the alternate minima is always higher. If the weather is below the approach minima then of course you need an alternate as the weather will also be below the alternate minima.

None of that means that the alternate minima changes if the HIALs are out, it doesn't.

downwind
28th Mar 2006, 05:06
halfmoon,

Have a good read of all your CAO's ie the 40 section for IFR and the 20.18 section for instruments req for IFR ops.

Know the aip terminal section and where to find stuff in it and finally the enr and gen sections etc...

further to that go to http://casa.gov.au/fsa/ for the back of the magazine IFR tech Q's they say they are not the casa exam q's but they are good practice for the real irex,

and finally RTFQ=1/2TBH!!!!

romeocharlie
28th Mar 2006, 05:45
Just curious, did you answer 1220' - 4.4km or 1220' - 7.0km??? Or another answer?

They are the two alternate planning minima for cairns. Casa generally put other factors in to the questions to put you off and make you go looking at the approach minima's.

Can anyone answer me this.... IF, according to the AIP's you cannot PLAN to use an RNAV Gnss approach, then why is there a seperate alternate planning minima for Cairns - for RNAV??:confused:

Even Bob was stumped with this. BTW Bob Tait's book is about $70. I'd say that's money well spent.

Naughty S
28th Mar 2006, 06:04
No need to sink the boot aero. Kind of why I dont post much on the forums.

I am well aware of the regs. But further info is needed to correctly answer the question and as to exactly what is being asked and the answers provided. Remember RTFQ. As per my previous post if you are close to borderline then there are other areas in the KDR you need to look at and improve on.

You will get there in the end so stay focused on the job. The mountain is very big even with an instrument rating in the logbook.

Keep studying :ok:

Cheers

AerocatS2A
28th Mar 2006, 11:04
No need to sink the boot aero. Kind of why I dont post much on the forums.

Wasn't meaning to sink the boot in, it just appeared that you were confused about the requirements (more likely you just weren't expressing yourself very well.)

Agreed that if you are failing then a couple of dodgy questions aren't the main problem.

4SPOOLED
28th Mar 2006, 12:26
Would have to agree that Bob Tait is the man!! I used to love all his little pictures and diagrams in the text books and some of the multiple choice questions cracked me up!

Passed all my exams from his books first time and i love the clear way he explains everything for the average joe.

Here is a funny question from Air Law

A radar vectoring service will be terminated by the phrase

A resume own naviagtion
B squawk standby
C continue visually
D she's all yours mate

carro
28th Mar 2006, 12:41
I thought IREX was pretty easy (scoring a hunjy)... compared to CPL.. maybe because we had more time to study.. For CPL we had a few exams booked in for each day due to our tight flying schedule at the time. My advise is to get your hands on as many past papers as possible, and to know your AIP back to front.. or at least where to find everything and understand what it means. If you think you've found the answer always read a few pages either side to see if there are any conditions Eg the HIAL not available vis. Also questions refering to instrument plates - scan the entire plate for relevent info, including the notes at the bottom. Remember for your regs, there's the index to help you, and tag the areas which you can't find in the index.

P.s i dont think i used CAR once in IREX

And 4spooled.. the answer is definately D

Roger Copy Ta
29th Mar 2006, 02:42
Do most pilots sitting their IREX and ATPL's buy their own copy of the CAR's and CAO's? I always thought the idea was to study notes (an abbreviated and simplified form of ALL the rules), learn the requirements and the exceptions (plus the exceptions to the exceptions!) by heart and refer to the charts, DAP's and the AIP's in the exam for everything else.

I'm self-studying for IREX now using Bob Tait's book which seems to cover everything I need to know from the Regs/Orders.

Does anyone recommend actually buying them or saving my cash for the 6 pack afterwards?

4SPOOLED
29th Mar 2006, 04:12
You are a pilot are you not?

Then it is advisable to have all the tools and information available to you when it is required. I have to admit the price i paid for CAR CARS CAO and AIP was into the high $500's from memory, with a 12 month subscription service so it does hurt, but it is advisable to have them.

And if you remember everything contained in those books then you have a much better memory than myself!!

LUCKY-1
29th Mar 2006, 04:54
Who is Bob Tait??? That really made me chuckle, and again. Perhaps this new chum has a bit to learn?

Naughty S
29th Mar 2006, 05:18
The reason I have kept the HIAL App line of thought is because I am vaguely familiar with the question from the exam

I feel that the question being asked is confused with alternate minima vs approach minima as with no HIAL vis min changes. That is were I am coming from in my answers. :ok:

Roger Copy Ta
29th Mar 2006, 06:08
4SPOOLED: the information is freely available on CASA's website. I've never heard of pilots carrying all the CAR's, CASR's, CAO's and CAAP's with them in flight, so what use are they outside of the exam room except as expensive toilet paper? The contents of Bobs IREX book doesn't seem overly difficult to learn, so as long as it actually covers everthing that needs to be known why would you bother spending the extra $500?

What does everyone else think? Aviation is expensive enough without wasting money on documents you'll probably never look at again. Not trying to cut corners here... of course you need to know what's in them, but does everyone really need their own personal copy? Has anyone here done well in the IREX and ATPL's without having them?

rmcdonal
29th Mar 2006, 06:09
Most of the people I know who sat those exams (Including me) borrowed the books from friends.
It does cost a lot of money to purchase these books. I recommend you buy the Full AIP books DAPs/ ERSA/ AIP (or Jepps) because if your flying IFR you well need them. You can always look-up CAR's, CAO etc on the net for free, and be fairly safe in the knowledge that it is up to date and correct. :ok:

AerocatS2A
29th Mar 2006, 06:21
I got all of the CARs, CAOs and CAAPs etc when I sat the IREX. Didn't need any of them for the exam.

Now I have let them all lapse but am about to do ATPL law. Now the company I work for has all the CASA docs but only on CD-ROM and I can't imagine being allowed to take my laptop into the exam. So, I can either not worry about it and hope I don't need them for the exam, or get the whole lot up to date again for the sake of maybe one question.

I'm tempted to just not worry about it.

4SPOOLED
29th Mar 2006, 06:56
4SPOOLED: the information is freely available on CASA's website. I've never heard of pilots carrying all the CAR's, CASR's, CAO's and CAAP's with them in flight, so what use are they outside of the exam room except as expensive toilet paper? The contents of Bobs IREX book doesn't seem overly difficult to learn, so as long as it actually covers everthing that needs to be known why would you bother spending the extra $500?
What does everyone else think? Aviation is expensive enough without wasting money on documents you'll probably never look at again. Not trying to cut corners here... of course you need to know what's in them, but does everyone really need their own personal copy? Has anyone here done well in the IREX and ATPL's without having them?

If you have time to start looking up these documents in the air you must have a great job! and i would literally fall on the floor laughing if i ever seen somebody carrying them in a box on to an aircraft.....Pretty silly thing to even suggest that i was implying you bring these on an aircraft.

However if you want to pass the CPL and ATPL Flight rules and Air law exams they are a must. Surely though you would want to have all tools available to you for your flight planning or/and other purposes?

I know they are available online, but they are much easier to use on paper TRUST ME i own a set!!

To pass the exams in a given time you must go through all the documents and mark them for ease of use and to aid you in the exam. Buy a set, you will never look back!

EDIT: at least buy the AIP, i use this all the time, the CAO's are also very handy!

Roger Copy Ta
29th Mar 2006, 07:43
Ok, thanks for the advice.

Seems to be a variety of opinions on this though.

carro
29th Mar 2006, 10:11
yeah definately worth buying them... why strain your brain trying to remember like a zillion rules off by heart when you can reference them in the exam... the more you flick through the regs the more it will stick in your head... If, however you are the thrifty type, buy AIPs and just borrow the rest... dont be an idiot by lessening your chances of success by not taking in all available resources.

Good luck with your exams!

P.s. Dont buy CAAPs just photocopy section 234 about the fuel recommendations.

romeocharlie
29th Mar 2006, 20:32
You can't memorise approach and landing charts so obviously you will need these for the exam AND instrument training.

IMO Jeppesen AIP Complete is around the same price as the CASA AIP these days, although the JEPP ERSA leaves a lot to be desired. You will need either a CASA or JEPPESEN AIP complete for the IREX exam.

hmm...
31st Mar 2006, 09:06
Rob Avery IREX practice exams. 4 of them in a book with red cover I believe... These are the closest you'll get to CASA ones. That was 2 years ago though...

You're a legend Rob!

Soulman
31st Mar 2006, 22:29
IMO Jeppesen AIP Complete is around the same price as the CASA AIP these days, although the JEPP ERSA leaves a lot to be desired. You will need either a CASA or JEPPESEN AIP complete for the IREX exam.

Be very careful when using Jeppesen AIP vs the Aussie equivalent. In the odd chance you get something wrong and decide to challenge it based on Jeppesen AIP - CASA AIP always wins.

I know they should contain exactly the same answers - this was just a heads up from those lovely people at ASL. :yuk:

You'd be game challenging anything though - $130 straight up! In my opinion, that's the biggest load of :mad: I've ever seen. Paying for the right to challenge a question? Don't get me started!

Soulman.

Zhaadum
31st Mar 2006, 23:34
The text in the Jeppesen AIP is exactly the same as the CASA AIP. Jeppesen just rearrange the sections a bit and index them to suit.

The main drama is that the update cycle on Jeppesen is different to the CASA one, so at any one time you MAY have a discrepancy between the two if an important amendment has just come out in the CASA AIP.

Jeppersen AIP doesn't receive AIP Supps but it is amended more regularly on a two week cycle. I don't know for sure if current AIP Supps are incorporated at the same time, but I suspect they are.

There is also the possibility of a typo when Jeppesen transcribes them.

All the above is your fault if it causes you to get a question wrong!:yuk:

I used the Jeppesen as I use them everyday and I can't find anything in the CASA AIP nowadays! I had no problems whatsoever.

Good Luck! :ok:

Z.

TruBlu351
3rd Apr 2006, 07:31
Do most pilots sitting their IREX and ATPL's buy their own copy of the CAR's and CAO's? I always thought the idea was to study notes (an abbreviated and simplified form of ALL the rules), learn the requirements and the exceptions (plus the exceptions to the exceptions!) by heart and refer to the charts, DAP's and the AIP's in the exam for everything else.
I'm self-studying for IREX now using Bob Tait's book which seems to cover everything I need to know from the Regs/Orders.
Does anyone recommend actually buying them or saving my cash for the 6 pack afterwards?

Mate, you borrow them!! and make sure they're well tabbed. There are just to many permutations WRT whacko questions they may ask - DON'T MEMORISE them all, just know where to find them - FAST! and make sure they're all ammended up to date.

TruBlu351
3rd Apr 2006, 07:36
I got all of the CARs, CAOs and CAAPs etc when I sat the IREX. Didn't need any of them for the exam.
Now I have let them all lapse but am about to do ATPL law. Now the company I work for has all the CASA docs but only on CD-ROM and I can't imagine being allowed to take my laptop into the exam. So, I can either not worry about it and hope I don't need them for the exam, or get the whole lot up to date again for the sake of maybe one question.
I'm tempted to just not worry about it.

If you don't take them, guess who will be booking in again next month!! :ok:

You need all the pubs, JUST IN CASE Murphy's questions come along. As mentioned, on SOME exams you'll never open the cover, but each exam is a different selection of Q's from their big Q database. Need to be prepared for all of them.

TruBlu351
3rd Apr 2006, 07:42
I did my IREX last year, passed OK, but was still majorly ticked off at getting some of the basic Q's wrong :ok:

READ the questions! It's so easy to misread the Q.

CASA quite sneakily include answers for people who misread the Q's - for ALL their exams. They factor in the most probable mistakes and slap those answers in too, so don't assume anything.

Good luck. Yep, the several hour drive back lets you think all about it!

kalavo
4th Apr 2006, 13:56
Haven't found one person yet who got the question wrong for putting the right answer. So, so, so, so many times people don't Read The Foxtrot Question.

A few years ago I met a guy who wrote exam questions for the DCA and now back writing questions for CASA (was busy teaching CPL and ATPL while it was the CAA). _Extremely_ smart and experienced guy. Had all the appropriate qualifications from ATPL to Degree in Psychology and experience to match.

While studying for the CPL in particular (much less so with the ATPL and IREX) there were a lot of questions I really didn't like. If you read "Stick and Rudder" by Wolfgang Langewiesche (an excellent book!!) and compare it to the current Aviation Theory Centre books you'll notice a lot of differences. I flat out prefer S&R over the ATC books (there's a lot of things in the ATC books which I believe are absolute crap!! They were much better in the Trevor Thom days IMHO), so I always found it interesting to ask this particular guy some questions and see what his answer and explination once. Not once did he contradict either reference and would break the explination down in to one syllable words if required.

The guys writing the questions don't take short cuts, typically they take one day to write one question. If you thought it was easy just because it was multiple choice, you're absolutely wrong - spending one day writing a question you have a lot of time to find the same "wrong" references that don't answer the question and put it down as one of the options. 10 years of teaching the subjects gives you a lot of experience to find the interesting answers people can come up with given an Air Law exam and a set of CAOs.

It's not a trick, it's simply the most correct answer to the question. If you do the study, read the question, and put down the correct answer you will pass. Haven't failed one CASA exam yet doing that (and I've done PPL, CPL, IREX or ATPL - only CPL was paperbased, rest were cyberexams), exam results always reflected those three things closely - how much I studied, how much I read the question, and whether I answered the question correctly.

Without reading the questions or answers, I'd back CASA's answer up every time, especially given the people I've met complain about the exam questions being "wrong". My particular favourite was a person sitting their IREX exam. Practice exam scores went up from 40% to about the 80% mark, but every time they sat the CASA exam they'd get around 50%. Found this a little confusing at first - someone doing so much study but it wasn't reflected in their result. That was until I found they hadn't read the CIR book once, just kept doing practice exams, which happened to be the same four practice exams every night (and with the answer sheet sitting right next to you, I still can't work out how you can't get 100% when you've seen the exact same questions with answers every day for three months!!!!) :eek:

Naughty S
4th Apr 2006, 20:19
Dead right kalavo! the questions are as much as an english test as well as a theory test in that you neeed to know the subject matter in a little more detail. You need to understand the question when you READ IT. Too many times people rush through exams (I have done it too) and dont take the time to simply read the question and say to themselves WHAT IS THE QUESTION ACTUALLY ASKING ME?????

Aerocat the line of thought you keep pursuing is based on what you have been told in the post. Dont you think if the question was asking about HIAL that the question is probing whether you understand what limitations it imposes if unserviceable. Alternate minima on the chart not affected, no worries you probably may have picked the 'sucker' answer and not read the question :{ . Common sense here me old, your line of thought does not take into account that the post may not have exact detail because it was MISREAD in the beginning hence incorrect response. Have been a little reserved in my replies to your posts SO FAR. If the question is about HIAL then think outside the square as to the possible answers :O just the same as the NVFR question only relating to charter not PVT/AWK.

As I have said I am resonably familiar with the IREX questions last student I trained scored 90% in IREX first time up. Personally I think the best text was Chris Henrys and the Rob Avery sample exams. Rob knows his stuff too and I have spoken to him on phone a few times and he is only too happy to help.

Gday Zhad :ok:

Cheers

AerocatS2A
5th Apr 2006, 02:34
Aerocat the line of thought you keep pursuing is based on what you have been told in the post. Dont you think if the question was asking about HIAL that the question is probing whether you understand what limitations it imposes if unserviceable. Alternate minima on the chart not affected, no worries you probably may have picked the 'sucker' answer and not read the question :{ . Common sense here me old, your line of thought does not take into account that the post may not have exact detail because it was MISREAD in the beginning hence incorrect response. Have been a little reserved in my replies to your posts SO FAR. If the question is about HIAL then think outside the square as to the possible answers :O just the same as the NVFR question only relating to charter not PVT/AWK.

Well, my initial aim was to answer the question the OP asked. But you're right, it is probably a case of him misreading the question, which is why I asked this,
Are you sure you read and understood the exam questions?

Further down the track.