PDA

View Full Version : Question: IFR flight plans and unmanned fields

Woof etc
25th Mar 2006, 07:45
Maybe you ATC types can help out on this one:

In our operation we often fly to unmanned strips with no facilities but on an IFR flight plan. First of all - is it possible to complete the entire flight in accordance with IFR (VMC conditions). If not at what point must IFR be cancelled? What about a departure from an unmanned field with no facilities? At what point does IFR commence if I have filed an IFR flight plan?

If I file an IFR flight plan to an unmanned field with no facilities (in VMC), can I use another unmanned field with no facilities as an alternate? If so what minima apply? My take on this is that the conditions would have to be VMC for the field to be used as an alternate.

Lastly, if a visual approach is requested (in contolled airspace) on an IFR flight plan is the IFR flight plan automatically cancelled or can it continue under IFR? Is the controller still responsible for traffic seperation?

abc.fp
26th Mar 2006, 04:48
The way I see it.

You cannot fly IFR into an unmanned VFR Airfield. (Not even into a manned VFR airfield) You would have to cancell IFR at some stage before landing, normally when a landing is assured. This is normally done when you have field in sight and reasonable assurence exists that your flight can be completed in VMC conditions.

You could depart from an unmanned VFR field as an IFR flight, keeping in mind that you are responsible for your own seperation untill in controlled airspace. You need an ATC clearance however to enter controlled airspace!

A visual approach is an extension of a instument approach, where the instrument appraoch is either wholly or in part flown with visual reference to ground. That means that you could be cleared for a V/A, visually position to a final approach fix, and then intercept the ILS. A visual approach is strictly speaking still an instrument approach, flown in VMC conditions to expedite your arrival.

It is a hot debate on what the correct missed approach procedure would be for a V/A. In very few cases is this actually published around the world. Should you fly a visual circuit after the M/A? Or should you follow the missed approach for a published I/A, if so, which one? I trust that this debate will be a neverending one, until such time that its actually published in the relevant docs. In the meantime, its important to be clear about your intentions when in this situation, letting ATC and also other traffic know exactly what you're doing, as everybody has a different opinion on this matter.

Hope I could be of help...

Best regards.

abc.fp
26th Mar 2006, 04:59
Apologies, I missed one part of your Q on the V/A issue.

When cleared for a V/A, the PIC is responsible for terrain clearance, but ATC is still responsible for seperation. You could therefor be cleared for a intermediate altitude or alternative routing due to other traffic.

Regards.

Woof etc
26th Mar 2006, 11:32
Thanks for that ABC.

Posted the same question on the ATC forum and got this response:

For the UK...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof etc
First of all - is it possible to complete the entire flight in accordance with IFR (VMC conditions).

Yes. All "unmanned" fields are outside controlled airspace. There is no obligation for an ATC clearance when flying IFR outside controlled airspace. At night, IFR are the only flight rules permitted to such "unmanned fields".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof etc
If I file an IFR flight plan to an unmanned field with no facilities (in VMC), can I use another unmanned field with no facilities as an alternate? If so what minima apply? My take on this is that the conditions would have to be VMC for the field to be used as an alternate.

For a public transport flight, the planning criteria depend on your ops manual. I don't know what the JAR-OPS view is of airports without published IAPs as alternates. For private flights, the requirement is only that
The commander ... satisfy himself ... that the flight can safely be made, taking into account the latest information available as to the route and aerodrome to be used, the weather reports and forecasts available and any alternative course of action which can be adopted in case the flight cannot be completed as planned;

Any other takes on this? This must be a pretty common situation for the contract guys - what do you do?

abc.fp
27th Mar 2006, 04:39
Hi Woof,

I guess the situation would largely differ from country to country. Best is to assertain yourself with the relevant laws applicable.

The AIP would normally indicate what type of traffic is permitted in a circuit, and in my experience this is normally VFR only for unmanned airfields. (Could of-course be diff in other parts of the world). If this is the case (VFR only), its pretty self explanatory that IFR would have to be cancelled before entering the circuit.

Another issue would of-course be what NAV-aids are available at such fields. How would an IFR navigate into a field where no nav-aid available?

Regards.

nugpot
27th Mar 2006, 05:46
There is a connection between VMC and VFR, and IMC and IFR, but they are not the same things.

Flight under Instrument Flight Rules does not have to be in Instrument Met Conditions. In fact, most operators operate their flights almost exclusively under IFR, even in VMC. You can operate under IFR from take-off to landing and not once enter cloud, including to and from unmanned airfields.

Requesting and receiving clearance for a visual approach, does not cancel IFR. With a visual approach, the controller is responsible for air traffic separation, but the pilot is responsible for terrain clearance.

Filing as alternate, you must comply to normal AWOPS (All-weather Ops) criteria. That depends on the weather (TAF +- 1hr, etc) and facilities at your destination and your alternate(s).

Woof etc
27th Mar 2006, 12:27
So can I file an unmanned airfield with no facilities as my destination and alternate on an IFR flight plan. Should be OK if destination and altenate forecast is VMC?

abc.fp
28th Mar 2006, 04:44
Yes you can file an IFR FPL with an unmanned field as destination, and/or alternate. The question is just whether you'd have to cancel IFR before landing or not. In my opinion you would have to. Thats how its done here, and in SA as far as I know...

Woof etc
28th Mar 2006, 08:45
Thanks for the answers!

Goldfish Jack
28th Mar 2006, 23:19
Some interesting questions.

It is quite possible to complete the flight under IF rules right to touchdown, provided that you are in VMC where there is no letdown available. Obviously weather criteria must be taken into account when it comes to working out ones minima. A IF flight plan does not have to be cancelled on arrival, provided you are able to proceed and remian VMC when below MSA.

As to the departure: You can depart IFR provided you are able to remain VMC until you have reached MSA, (or are able to proceed to your take-off alternate without the safety of your flight being compromised)

As to going IFR to an unmanned airfield, and diverting to another one, your main criteria would be weather related, hence you would have to ensure that the forecast weather is equal or better than the MSA, as you would have to be VMC to go below the MSA as there is no letdown avail to you. (The various rules pertaining to use of take off and landing alternates is avail in the SA AIP )

A visual approach does not cancel your IFR flight. It is an extension of the instrument aproach, however ATC will separate you from other traffic. A very interesting point which many pilots do not know is that you are REQUIRED to remain in controlled a/space when doing the visual approach, hence terrain criteria will not come into account, as controlled airspace has to be constructed to ensure terraian does not appear (for want of better words) in it. (That is why the lower limit of controlled airspace is always a VFR level and is always 700ft above the highest obstacle within 5nm. Hence if you are IFR and fly at the lowest IFR level of controlled airspace you will always be at 1200ft above the highest terrain within 5nm of your position.

As to the missed approach on a visual approach: There is not one - when you think about it, you should be landing assured when you execute the visual approach, hence there should be no need for a missed approach (otherwise you would not request a visual approach, or at least you should not!). If you have to go around, due to whatever, you will communicate this to the tower, who will give you a missed approach to follow. If the aerodrome controller requires you to go around, they will tell you what to do. What if you have a radio failure: Follow the published procedure which says, continue in VMC and land at the nearest airfield - the one you are going to..!

Your can file IFR to an unmanned airfield at any time and carry on righ to touchdown, obviously you will have to do the approach in and land in VMC.

Hope this clarifies it .......

Woof etc
29th Mar 2006, 07:17
Thank GJ - usefull stuff.

Didn't get this though:

... as controlled airspace has to be constructed to ensure terrain does not appear (for want of better words) in it. (That is why the lower limit of controlled airspace is always a VFR level and is always 700ft above the highest obstacle within 5nm. Hence if you are IFR and fly at the lowest IFR level of controlled airspace you will always be at 1200ft above the highest terrain within 5nm of your position.

ATZs and CTRs surely qualify as controlled airspace?

Goldfish Jack
29th Mar 2006, 15:32
Ah yes English was never my strong point!

ATZs and CTRs go from ground to a specific upper alt. Other airspace starts at a specific lower level and goes upwards.... etc. They join to TMAs, CTAs, and the upper limit would be a VFR level/alt.

Was talking about TMAs, CTAs, etc.

My comment would not apply to ATZs and CTRs.