PDA

View Full Version : BA - no more check-in desk?

Stockpicker
24th Mar 2006, 22:44
OK, forgive me now, I don't believe this one either but hubby is insisting this was the content of an email he had from BA today. Unfortunately he's deleted the mail so we can't check, and a visit to ba.com does not suggest any changes to operating procedure.

Here's the thing:

He says he's had an email today saying that there will no longer be any traditional check-in desks for BA flights. There will be online checkin or self-service at the kiosk with baggage drop, but nothing else. Could be just at EDI, could be everywhere, he couldn't recall. :rolleyes:

I find this so unlikely as to be ridiculous (to the extent that we are currently not on speaking terms, not ideal circumstances for a weekend as I'm sure you'll agree! :O ). How can you deal with kids/disabled/other special case pax without check-in desks? And what about the people who are techinically disadvantaged, like my mum who's 70 and frightened of computers?

Please, somebody, tell me I'm right and he's wrong!!

(Or else I might have to resort to the Agony Aunt thread ..... )

Call Established
24th Mar 2006, 22:49
I hope this is not the case, otherwise BHX have just wasted loads of dosh by building BA a new dedicated area and a load of new check-ins for nothing! I think these should be in service next week or thereabouts!

Railgun
24th Mar 2006, 22:55
By the end of this year in all regional stations BA intends to have 100% of eligible pax checking in at self service checkin or on the internet. Rumour has it T5 will not have a checkin deck in sight.

RealFish
24th Mar 2006, 23:21
This is the e-mail
Dear Mr Realfish
You demand a fast, stress-free journey through the airport and regularly use our Self-Service check-in facilities. You recognise the timesaving benefits you currently make both at home and at the airport when you check in online.
From 25 April 2006, everyone flying on our UK Domestic routes will be required to check in for their flight either online* via ba.com or using one of our Self-Service Check-in kiosks** at the airport.
Remember when checking in online, you can also choose to print your own boarding pass from a home, hotel or office printer, up to 24 hours before your flight. This means you'll be able to head straight to the boarding gate on arrival at the airport.
If you have bags to check in, you'll be pleased to know that we're converting our conventional check-in desks into 'Fast Bag Drop' desks, for you to check-in any luggage. If you require any further information on either online check-in or Self-Service Check-in facilities, click here. https://www.britishairways.com/travel/chkopt/public/en_gb
Yours sincerely
Sarah Keyes
Executive Club,
Marketing Manager

Jordan D
25th Mar 2006, 02:43
Just to keep the discussion in one place, this is being discussed in passengers & SLF - http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=218190

Jordan

apaddyinuk
27th Mar 2006, 17:54
But to answer your question...There WILL be desks still available!!! You will simply be encouraged to use the kiosks!