PDA

View Full Version : Q400 Demo for Aer Arann

TGI Flyin
24th Mar 2006, 20:09
Bombardier are sending over a Hawaiian Islands Air Q400 to Dublin on Mon 27th & Tues 28th to perform demo flights for Arann pilots, staff and managers. I thought it was new ATRs for them ?? Maybe the Canadians are making a good offer...

jethro15
24th Mar 2006, 20:23
No. The reports of an ATR order being placed were incorrect

jethro
UK and Ireland Airline Fleet Listings
http://www.jethros.i12.com

4on4off
24th Mar 2006, 21:57
So are the RE managers going to use a Q400 introduction as a means to weed out those pilots who have the audacity to question them (again)?

GBALU53
24th Mar 2006, 22:06
Would this be a good move for them to go for Q400s in view of all the problems Flybe have with there 400s??

MarkD
25th Mar 2006, 04:55
GBALU53

hopefully BBD are getting their act together with the Q4s - the order book is picking up which is good as they are assembled up the road! However, going all Q4 is unlikely if they intend continuing with SXL/CFN due runway length and I'm not sure there's the same commonality with Q300 between as 42 and 72.

My bet is this is keeping ATR pricing honest, although the Q4 is a lot faster if RE are looking at longer sector lengths.

piston pete
25th Mar 2006, 15:23
However, going all Q4 is unlikely if they intend continuing with SXL/CFN due runway length and I'm not sure there's the same commonality with Q300 between as 42 and 72.

If runway length at SXL is an issue then it's also an issue at GWY. Both airports have runways of approx 1200m. But while it's one thing being able to fly a Q4 into SXL, it's another thing filling it midweek.

Sky Conductor
25th Mar 2006, 16:53
Well when the Irish Govenment are subsidising the Sligo-Dublin route so heavily then it matters little to AerArann if the flights fill or not.

Interesting fact in the papers a while back stating that for the amount of Pasengers carried on the Knock-Dublin route last year (Another PSO route with a loganair Saab 340) it would have been cheaper to put all them pax into taxies and send them to Dublin that way!! I suppose if the PSO were discontinued then jobs would be lost as this is a big income for both airlines and airports involved.

Regarding Runway lenght..Cant see AerArann ever going anywhere only to Dublin from Sligo which is only about 80-90nm so not much fuel required. Galway is another matter..runway slightly longer but this is an important base as it is a big earner both with exsisting routes and future expansion.

jethro15
28th Mar 2006, 07:56
Has anyone got valid information on exactly what type of new aircraft Aerarann are purchasing ?
No decision made yet regarding 'new' a/c, but an additional second-hand ATR-72 is due

Heath Wroe
28th Mar 2006, 17:44
Reliable information suggests RE will sign a deal with ATR before the end of April. Management have specced out the aircraft required and may be a mix of ATR-72s and 42s but -500 series. The Q400 demo could be out of courtesy to Bombardier or it could be to keep ATR on their toes.

Information to hand also suggests the chief executive intends to take another role within the company and interviews to replace the Man have, or are, taken/taking place.