PDA

View Full Version : Registry Cleaner

Farmer 1
24th Mar 2006, 16:00
Can anyone recommend or otherwise Registry Cleaner (that is its name), by Softwareonline.com, or RegistyOptimizer.com?

It seems to have invited itself onto my computer, and now tells my there are 458 problems detected. There were 478, but it cured the other 20 for free, and they now want money to finish the job - swines.

I don't mind paying if it does as it says.

Thanks in advance.

SoftTop
24th Mar 2006, 16:07
I downloaded one of those a while ago and when it said "pay me, pay me" I simply closed the prog then ran it again .... it let me do that over and over until I had cleaned the reg. :cool:

Haven't used it since - too much hassle, and not sure it would be value for money.

I thought that MS had a free version somewhere, but never managed to track it down.

There was another one, that had the executable JV16.exe, that was really neat. Unfortunately they author (understandably) decided to make it pay-ware rather than share or free and the most recent versions need a contibution. Haven't done that yet either.

Good hunting

ST

obgraham
24th Mar 2006, 16:08
IMHO: remove it now. Get a proper antispyware program (or 2).

Farmer 1
24th Mar 2006, 16:10
Thanks, ST, but this one is a bit cleverer than that - it's a one-off freebie for 20 errors. It seems a pucka programme - just wonder if anyone else has come across this particular one. Cost is $29.95.

frostbite
24th Mar 2006, 17:36
There are lots of decent free ones - have a look on zdnet or downloads.com.

What do you mean by "invited itself"? Does that mean you didn't deliberately install it?

Farmer 1
24th Mar 2006, 17:39
I took over the computer after my daughter had finished using it. I think it may have been a bit of finger trouble on her part.

I think I'll start off with a quick search for some freebies. Thanks.

PPRuNe Pop
24th Mar 2006, 17:49
Microsoft RegClean is a ggod un. Free and works well in mintes. It's free. Just use the above to search MS and you should get it OK>

Conan the Librarian
24th Mar 2006, 18:11
Cc Cleaner or whatever, seems to be mentioned often here as a good, capable and free piece of kit. Sure that a user will pop up somewhere tonight and tell you more.

Conan

Shendal
24th Mar 2006, 19:07
Use this one:
http://www.worldstart.com/weekly-download/archives/reg-cleaner4.3.htm

P.Pilcher
24th Mar 2006, 22:23
Farmer 1 I've P.M'd you

P.P.

25th Mar 2006, 08:56
Conan
Is crap cleaner (http://www.ccleaner.com/) the one you were talking about? It works great. :ok:

Farmer 1
25th Mar 2006, 10:30
Thanks, guys. Food for thought all round. I usually find you get what you pay for in this world, so I'll probably have to get my wallet out, if I can find it.

BLUE SKY THINKER
25th Mar 2006, 11:22
Farmer 1.....

Before you do, take a look at (free) RegSeeker 1.45 (http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm). ...It's very thorough, so make sure you enable the backup first, although unwise not to with any of these programs. ...I've been using it for about a year.

I'm not sure about the availability of the Microsoft equivalent now on the web, but I know it is no longer supported by them and am pretty certain I have read recently that it shouldn't be used with their latest OS's.

RegCleaner mentioned in a previous post is quite old now, no longer being updated since the concentration on the paid version. ...That said I use it, not for registry cleaning, but for it's very useful opening page that allows you to see and deal with what is actually registered to the registry (quite a few surprises here).

I agree CCleaner is absolutely fantastic for what it is designed for, but registry cleaning is a secondary function. ...If anyone is in any doubt, do one on this program and then do one with RegSeeker mentioned at the start.

Conan the Librarian
25th Mar 2006, 11:31
Bingo 126dot! That is the one. Don't use it myself, but have heard glowing reports about it.

Conan