PDA

View Full Version : Air Kilroe/Eastern

Akrotiri bad boy
24th Mar 2006, 08:15
I'm hoping someone can elaborate on the connection between Air Kilroe and Eastern Airways.

Sometime ago, in a galaxy far far away before the BA terminal was built, I attended an interview with Air Kilroe. At the time they seemed to be ekeing out a living feeding on crumbs dropped by bigger organisations. I'm interested to know how they have "morphed" into today's Eastern.

By the way, I didn't get the job:{ Well, that's their loss and the maritime worlds gain!

Thanks in anticipation

DTVAirport
24th Mar 2006, 08:46
IIRC, Eastern operate under Air Kilroe's AOC, and one of Eastern's J32's (G-OAKJ) is owned by Kilroe but operated by Eastern, however this J32 has just been bought so will be leaving both airline's fleets soon along with Eastern's other J32's I believe. All of Eastern's J41's are owned by BA Connect.

skiddyiom
24th Mar 2006, 09:29
The J-41's are sub-leased to Eastern from BA Connect, we don't own them! And unless they are extending the leases, they are due to return to lessor relatively soon I believe.

skiddy

jethro15
24th Mar 2006, 09:55
Lease agreement for the J41 fleet covers a period between 2007 / 09
jethro
Uk and Ireland Airline Fleet Listings
http://www.jethros.i12.com

WHBM
24th Mar 2006, 10:53
Probably longer ago even than the time ABB is writing about I met Kilroe Construction Ltd, a building/civil engineering company in North Manchester. The owner had bought a light twin for company usage (maybe he had a PPL), hired it out sometimes, and it all grew from there. On the day I am writing about (1981 ?) I recall he was going over to Denmark to buy a second aircraft, possibly someone else here will be able to identify it. His fellow execs at the time complained that he seemed to be getting more interested in the "bl**dy planes" than in the construction business !

For some years they operated a Manchester - Teesside route with J32s where they had a guaranteed income arrangement with ICI Chemicals. They have done well to grow from there.

Eastern was started in the 1990s when Air UK started giving up its old route network up and down the East Coast but had no AOC until they bought Air Kilroe, doubtless principally for the AOC rather than its business worth. I would guess old Mr Kilroe wanted to retire.

Did some unkind soul say the J41s are leased at £1 per year each :)

San Expiry
24th Mar 2006, 13:04
It was always rumoured that Eastern got the deal of the century on the J41 from BA citiexpress as was - literally given away and could account for Eastern's rapid expansion subsidised by BA. So with the far from lowcost fares charged by T3 they are probably trying to get as much cash in the bank before they actually have to start paying for their aircraft?

Oshkosh George
24th Mar 2006, 13:06
Taken from Eastern's website-----------------

Eastern Airways is the trading name of Air Kilroe Ltd

Deep Vein
24th Mar 2006, 13:10
New (used) 41's arriving all the time from USA (United and Independence), I think. Fleet getting near 20 J41 and some SAAB 2000 for longer sectors/bigger loads, new routes emerging all the time. Don't kno where they are going to get experienced pilots to fly them tho'.