PDA

View Full Version : Computer Doesn't Boot

empacher48
24th Mar 2006, 05:19
If anyone is able to help - or have any idea, I would be very appreciative. (In advance)

I have a Albtron Motherboard running an Athlon XP 2Ghz processor. But I was able to run my computer successfully this morning, shut down, ran off to work... But tonight when I came home My computer failed to boot up. It has power, with all the appropriate lights, fans, CD-RW, DVD-RW, HDD and floppy drive all running, but only the test pattern on the monitor, and no beeps associated with a normal start up..

I am normally quite switched on with computers, as in I built this one myself 3 years ago, I have tried resetting the CMOS, checked all the cards, cables and jumpers are secure and in place. There are no marks on the M/B to indicate it has cooked itself either. Power supply is delivering the correct voltages to everything...

Is there anything else left to try - or is it time to fork out some more cash get a new motherboard and CPU?

Thanks

PPRuNe Pop
24th Mar 2006, 06:21
Not quite I would have thought. Have you tried starting in 'Safe Mode' and then getting to System Restore for a start from the day before? Should be worth a go at least.

Sh3113y
24th Mar 2006, 07:00
If HDD is spinning up and no beeps, it could just be faulty graphics card. Sounds like pc is actually booting but you just can't view the display. Test with another card if possible.

empacher48
24th Mar 2006, 08:02
I have tried a different card, but to no avail, the same problem occurs.

I can't get into safe mode, as I can't even see the bios startup screen to start with.

Thanks for the help there guys!! Getting a bit frustrating!!!

vapilot2004
24th Mar 2006, 08:44
So you've tried resetting the CMOS, I guess that means the battery was disconnected with the power unplugged?

Try removing all of the internal connectors to the motherboard except power. (think HD, etc) Disconnect all of your external items except the keyboard and monitor.

Still no life - have you tried reseating the memory modules ? - perhaps a removal of one or more may isolate the problem to that.

Another check is to pull all of the cards but the video.

In checking the power, I get your meaning to be that every pin is producing the correct voltage and the grounds are at 0V?

With all of the above not working, it comes down to the processor or the mb or the CMOS on board the mb.

Good luck Emp !

empacher48
24th Mar 2006, 08:57
Yeah - reset the CMOS by removing all power, batteries, and swapping the jumpers too. (I did put the jumpers back into the correct location!)

Just tried removing all internal cables (except cooling fans for MB, CPU & Case) with no luck, removing external cables as mentioned, and cards, with no luck either.

The cable points had all the correct voltages.

Final solution maybe for the system to take a slow trip to 10,000' followed by a fast trip back to terra firma. :} ??

frostbite
24th Mar 2006, 11:51
I would investigate the graphics side a bit more. Is there any chance of monitor swapping? Have you thoroughly checked both ends of the computer>monitor cable?

PPRuNeUser0211
24th Mar 2006, 15:19
empacher, which test pattern are you talking about? As for cooked bits and pieces, mobos have a series of beeps they give out depending on what isn't working properly, ram, gfx card etc etc etc. This doesnt rule out everything but I put it to you that its either a) a psu snag (possible, do you have it surge protected? easily tested if you have another pc/psu to hand...) or b) a cooked mobo (harder to test, unless you have two pcs with roughly the same config...)

But in the past I have known a psu providing insufficient power to cause a similar problem (ie enough to start the mechanics but not set the numbers crunching).... seems unlikely if they're producing the correct voltages as you say, so most likely the mobo... get yourself a shiny new pc my man/woman!

Saab Dastard
24th Mar 2006, 17:43
If you can't see the BIOS then it sounds most like a MOBO / processor failure (or L2 cache failure).

Normally RAM module failure will be detected during the POST, but an on-screen alert will be displayed, even if you can't access the full BIOS routine (due to no memory).

Given power - and lights - but no sound effects, I would suspect processor. Have you tried re-seating the processor? Last ditch effort I know.

If it turns out to be the processor and you get a replacement, try to find out why the old one failed - so that it doesn't happen again. As pba_target suggested, ensure you have protected power supply, also adequate ventilation and dust protection.

BTW, I have come across servers that will not boot (to protect the CPU) if the cooling fans are not running. I once spent ages tracking down a CPU / memory / mobo problem that turned out to be as simple as a disconnected power lead to a CPU fan! But I doubt that standard desktop PCs would have that "protection".

empacher48
24th Mar 2006, 20:06
Thanks for all your tips guys!

I have tried a different monitor, but the test pattern I mention is the one which states "The monitor is working correctly, check your PC and your cable are connected."

As far as the beep patterns, I don't get beeps. I have tried reseating the CPU to no avail.

I run the machine through a UPS so I don't believe its a problem with surges or power spikes. As far as dust goes I do take the case off the PC once a month for a blast of canned compressed air - I live in a very very dusty environment!

This system does have an overheat protection for the CPU (all geared up for overclocking - but never got the chance to try that out!!), but the fan is connected and working and no obvious damage to the heatsink either.

Either way it looks like it might be a trip to the computer doc next time I venture back into civilisation.