PDA

View Full Version : ActiveSync problem

Capt Claret
24th Mar 2006, 01:03
I'm running a Toshiba Satellite 5220, XP-Pro & ActiveSync 4.1, connecting to an I-mate K-Jam running Windows Mobile 5.

EVERY time I start the PC, activesync produces a message saying it can't open the Comm port (used for Bluetooth) and to reset it.

This is triving me to distraction. As best I can tell, I've set the bluetooth port on the pc exactly as described in the ActiveSync help files.

Any suggestions that don't revolve around destroying the pc or using a cable? please .....

The Voice
24th Mar 2006, 06:41
oh Clarrie .. you take away all our fun! :E

psssst .... get a MAC!!;)

Conan the Librarian
24th Mar 2006, 10:35
Daft question, but with Active 4.1 why do you need Bluetooth in the picture? I believe that Microsoft crippled Win Mobile 5 and ActiveSync 4.0/4.1 so that for full synchronisation, that you have to do it on the cradle, via USB.

I find ActiveSync 4.0/4.1 a PIA really. Had a nightmare getting it to work initially, but now that it does, I leave it well alone until somebody brings out a more friendly piece of software. I think it is the weakest part of the Win M5 equation.

Conan

Keygrip
24th Mar 2006, 13:39
I don't want to hijack the thread - but Conan just gave me a way in.

I have an iPAQ PDA which will NOT ActiveSynch as it says on the box.

When I put the PDA in the cradle, the computer (either desktop or laptop) says "Device detected: Synchronising"

But it will say that for days and days and days - with the little green icon in the system tray whirling around.

I'm pretty sure it's fairly simple set-up trouble - but I'm bu**ered if I know what I'm doing wrong.

Q: Does the device have to be labled, or named, in any way to make it lock up?

PPRuNeUser0211
24th Mar 2006, 15:11
Key, and claret also,

there's a bug wrt activesync 4.1 which applies to my xda mini s that sounds the smae as key's problem, whereby you have to take all of the outlook related items off your today screen on your pocket pc before you sync, otherwise it hands as key describes. this is stuff like messages, tasks etc etc etc

Conan the Librarian
24th Mar 2006, 17:51
Microsoft being less than perfect? NEVER!!!

ActiveSync 4.1 was allegedly bought out to try and plug some of the howlers that people were reporting in 4.0 and even then, MS seem to have nobbled a lot of sync features with wireless and Bluetooth. As far as I can see, with MS Windows Mobile 5 anyway, you have the option to sync fullly on the cradle or not at all. I did read some waffle from MS saying that their customers preferred it that way due to security issues. There is apparently, a plus here for those NOT running Win Mobile 5. Simply consign 4.1 to the bin and install 3.6 which is a lot more flexible when it comes to syncing via Wireless or Bluetooth. Sadly for us WinMob 5 users, you have to use either 4.0 or 4.1

4.1 gave me the heeby jeebies and I can't wait to find a product that does the job better, but Win Mob 5 is still fairly new and we might have to wait for a short time, before competitors come up with the goods.

Whilst there are self help and support groups, if you are running WinMob 5.0 then your device is most likely supported under the guarantee and I suspect that the PDA manufacturers themselves, are more likely to be able to walk you through some procedures to fix it. Dell, certainly do an excellent job in this respect and were it not for them, I would have been another frustrated
user myself.

Now that 4.0/4.1 works ok on my own PC, I can report that emails and tasks run seamlessly, though I did have to move from Outlook Express to Outlook 2003 which was bundled with the Dell. If it is trying to synchronise with the PDA then it knows of its presence. Try setting up another sync "Relationship" and see if that works, or works any differently. You can always delete that relationship if you crack the problem,

My heartfelt advice however is to hotfoot it to HP, or whoever, for they will be fonts of wisdom on the peculiarities of WinMob 5 and Active Sync 4.0/4.1

Conan

I still find the most offensively miserable exercise is trying to sync the awful Windows Media Player. There are other, better, solutions. (Unless you love the Satanic pleasures of Windows Playlists, that is...)

Capt Claret
24th Mar 2006, 19:03
Sorry to be the spanner in the works but I have no problem Syncing, either via Bluetooth or via cable (no cradle with the K-jam).

Initially ZoneAlarm was causing some interference but a KB item sorted the settings for that.

The only issue I have is AS telling me it can't open the BlueTooth port (Comm 10 to Comm 20).

Thanks folk.

:p And BTW Voice, I haven't had to ask folk to resend emails, or re-authorise contacts to reconstruct my PC like some MAC users I know!