PDA

View Full Version : Jet lag and the other pleasures of long haul flight

Lance Murdoch
23rd Mar 2006, 11:37
As I understand it jet lag is the term used to describe the change in circardian rhythm (or rather lack of change) when you travel long distances to different time zones.
What is the quickest way to adjust to a new time zone and also to lessen the effects of jet lag? How much of the fatigue etc you attribute to jet lag is actually due to the effects of spending a long time in economy class?
I have found that staying away from alcohol and caffeine seem to help aswell as drinking plenty of water. Does physical fitness improve your adjustment time? I think it helps you to recover from fatigue quicker. Do the effects get worse or improve with age? How do long haul flight crew handle it?
Is there really a possibility of a 'cure' for it or would this just be a clever method of ameliorating the symptons?

stringbender
2nd Apr 2006, 01:58
Lance
I have been flying this now for close to a year and I am a commuter which adds to the final three days to the point of me being able to sleep in my own bed.
It takes me 5 days for recovery. My girlfriend this last time home said I never fully recovered? I can tell you that at day 6 I felt energetic and felt very clear headed.
What is a challenge is exercize, after you body is confused with what time it is and sucking caffine to keep you awake you arrive after a long day, some of which can go 20 hours. If you are able to drink plenty of water, eat when your hungry, sleep when your tired you've got the first half licked. But exercizing is the key to staying sharp in your mind as the extra Oxagen to the brain helps in dicision making tasks which may save your life. Experience is a big key here.
The problem with long haul flying, and I had a 2 hour ass for 18 years in B737's before, it is you do not "FEEL" like doing anything more than laying in bed and channel surfing or sleeping.
Sometimes you cannot sleep. You arrive in a exciting city for an overnight and possibly need to rest in stead of "seeing the sights". Your personal life too is paramount to the ajustment of longhaul. If you don't have peace and a respectful/understanding mate then quite often this add's to the difficulty of resting. If it weren't for skype the personal life would really be more challenging.
Long haul flying see's the world and every pilot should experience this as it is rewarding. One gains a "worldly" view on life.
I hope this helped.