PDA

View Full Version : Where has all the fuel gone???

CathayBrat
23rd Mar 2006, 08:53
There has not been a reliable sourse of avgas in TZ for about 2-2.5 mths (at least where i am), with the supplier giving better and better excuses:mad: :confused: !!! Now we hear that other countries are running out:eek: Whats going on? Can anyone shed light on a dark place? Would be good to here if there are others in the same boat as us!

Solid Rust Twotter
23rd Mar 2006, 08:57
Somebody bungled it.

SA in the same boat...:hmm:

Soap Box Cowboy
24th Mar 2006, 20:32
Time to move over to Turbine's. I hear the 300HP diesel engine is coming out soon so that should help 206, 210 operators.

Otherwise there is a Company called Soloy that puts little 400 SHP Rolls-Royce/Allison engines on small airframes.

Hear that the fuel is coming all the way from Holland. And has anyone noticed that it is smelling slightly stale?

The joys of flying in the dark continent.

Piloti
27th Mar 2006, 16:12
With only 25Billion profit last year (I forget if it was dollars or pounds - but when you're making that much, does it really matter?) how can BP possibly afford a little tank in Dar to tide us over blips in their supply??? or even to send a tanker from somewhere else, come to that. (I heard the SA refinery is on the blink. Seems to be a long blink!)

A collection will be held and sent to BP Customer Services Dept. May they continue to rest in peace...

Sir Cumference
29th Mar 2006, 08:52
Interestingly enough, I heard the other day that there are only four!! refineries in the world that produce Avgas. Two of these are in SA and these normally export the product to the world. The other two are in the USA and one was taken out of commission in the floods in New Orleans. The two SA refineries are down due to 'problems'. Not going into that issue here save to say that Eskom have similar problems!

The result is that there is only one refinery in the world producing Avgas at the moment!! The answer to your question!

SC

Desperate Wannabe
30th Mar 2006, 09:30
Hi Crew
Wonder if anyone up north can shed some light on the fuel situation.
We have a 6 day flight planned from S.A to Blantyre - Club Mak - Lilongwe - Mfuwe - Livingstone and back in a C210.

I am trying to find out which of these airfields has/has not got avgas at the moment.

Thanx

CathayBrat
3rd Apr 2006, 12:05
Some usually have fuel, but with the shortage best to check. Could be embarasing to turn up and overstay........:{