PDA

View Full Version : IPAQ PDA connection to wifi desktop

BOAC
22nd Mar 2006, 17:11
Just got myself wifi'd, and have connection from desktop to 3Com modem router via USB wifi adaptor.:ok:

IPAQ normally accesses internet ok via USB cradle connection into desktop and throuigh b/band wired modem.

I can 'connect' to the IPAQ from the desktop USB (with the 3Com switched off at the moment) but the iPAQ cannot access the internet via the Desktop.

I would appreciate any help in which settings I need to make on both the IPAQ and the desktop (WinXp SP2).

Assuming I can achieve this:confused: , I would then like the IPAQ to be able to use the 3Com modem around the house, so again any help appreciated on those settings. Not a lot found so far on the internet!:{

Conan the Librarian
22nd Mar 2006, 17:54
If you are using a Wireless router, then the IPAq will have a wireless network "Find" facility. When it finds your network, all you should need to do, is input the network password and away you go!
Conan

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
22nd Mar 2006, 18:06
Try a soft re-set on the IPAQ and then see if it accesses the network. If you have security set up on the router you'll need to set the IPAQ too..

BOAC
22nd Mar 2006, 18:39
Thanks for prompt attention!

Just to confirm , guys - I CAN connect - it is the internet through-feed I cannot get. 'Unable to connect with current settings'.

Saab Dastard
22nd Mar 2006, 21:52
BOAC,

I assume that you are running MS Windows Mobile Pocket PC (some flavour).

The MS website is reasonably helpful if you know where to look:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/help/pocketpc/connections.mspx#wirelessNetwork

Coconutty
23rd Mar 2006, 09:04
IPAQ normally accesses internet ok via USB cradle connection into desktop and throuigh b/band wired modem.

I can 'connect' to the IPAQ from the desktop USB (with the 3Com switched off at the moment) but the iPAQ cannot access the internet via the Desktop

That's a bit confusing !

I think what you are asking is how to access the Internet wirelessly with your PDA.
I assume your 3 com wireless modem is capable of handling more than one device.

No doubt there is a program on your desktop allowing you to access the settings of the modem, so you need to check the instructions and that all settings are as they should be.

On the Ipaq :

Tap : Start / iPAQ Wireless / WLAN to turn the Ipaq wireless on ( mine has an orange flashing LED while it is firing up and searching for networks, which changes to flashing green when it's ready and connected ).

Top right of the screen may be a "Connections" icon - two horizontal arrows opposed to each other - tap on that icon to bring up the Connectivity window, or if no such icon -Tap : Start / Settings / Connections / Connections / Advanced.

Tap : "Network Card" to open the "Configure Wireless Networks" window and you should see a list of all the wireless networks that have been found.

Tap your 3com connection ( or whatever it is called ) to access the configuration settings where you can check that it is set to "Connect to" - The Internet, Set authentication as "Shared", Data encryption - probably "WEP", Network Key and Key Index - as specified during wireless modem set up.

Tap and hold your 3com connection at the above stage to "Remove Settings" or "Connect" if it has not connected.

Hope this helps - if not the answer should lie within the 3 com modem set up.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d129/coconut11/coconut.jpg
Coconutty

BOAC
23rd Mar 2006, 10:43
Thanks Saab and coco - part of my problem (apart from old age:) ) lies oin the fact that I have a 3870 with Poket PC 2002, and MS appear to have dropped all pages relating to this system.I cannot find any link on saab's page to 2002.

For coco - the functions in PC2002 are different. I am trying to start 'simply' by getting a PDA connection to the internet through my wireless enabled desktop and then work up to full 3COM connection; I can, as I said, get full internet access on the PDA via USB in the cradle. I have 'this network connects to the internet' as an option on the PDA wifi settings and it is ticked.

Coconutty
23rd Mar 2006, 13:29
BOAC,
First off you can get support, troubleshooting, driver downloads etc etc from the "HP" Web site (http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Home.jsp?locale=en_US&prodTypeId=215348&prodSeriesId=96481&lang=en&cc=uk) - who now own "Compaq" rather than trying to find it at Microsoft !
( Clicking on the underlined "HP" Web Site link above will take you to the support page for your 3870 :) )

Connecting your PDA wirelessly to the Internet via your 3Com modem / router is a separate issue from connecting wirelessly to your Desktop.

I can't offer much help here as I haven't got this facility myself, but you'll probably need to turn on "Sharing" of files on your Desktop PC and also make sure that any Firewall you have installed is configured to allow the connection.

Good Luck :ok:
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d129/coconut11/coconut.jpg
Coconutty

BOAC
23rd Mar 2006, 15:03
Coco - I had already trawled that site to no avail, thanks:confused:

I will have to take a 'sabbatical' on the issue and try to work it out. Why IS it so difficult?

Saab Dastard
23rd Mar 2006, 18:04
BOAC, just checking - are you trying to make a wireless network connection from the ipaq to the 3Com ADSL wifi router?

Asking the obvious - your ipaq does have wifi capability?

BOAC
23rd Mar 2006, 18:08
Yes - CF wifi card which works fine at 'hot-spots' and will 'connect' to the desktop wifi signal. That at the moment is from a USB wifi adaptor. 3com wifi router connection is the next target after I hack that:{

Saab Dastard
23rd Mar 2006, 20:38
BOAC,

Things to think about - why do you want to connect the IPAQ to the PC wirelessly?

You can connect the ipaq directly to your 3com wifi router (I have done this) - you may have the ipaq set up to connect to peer-to-peer rather than access point wifi devices?

SD