PDA

View Full Version : Funniest thing that has happened to you to do with flying?

king rooney
22nd Mar 2006, 14:14
The thread I started entitled "worst mistake uve ever made" seems to have been a popular one, so I thought id start another one.
Basically, what is the funniest thing that has happened to you to do with flying, either in the air or on the ground?

Ive not been flying long, so havent really got anything to put down, but im sure there must be some hilarious tales out there waiting to be told!

scruggs
22nd Mar 2006, 14:31
On my trial flying lessons about 5 years ago from half-penny green, the flying instructor was allowing me to do the flying while he monitored. I couldn't help notice he kept messing with the back of his neck. I thought nothing of it at first, when all of a sudden he said, very calmly, "ouch...that hurt". As I turned my head to look, his hand was covered in blood! Turned out he'd picked a rather large scab - and believe me - it didn't stop bleeding for the rest of the flight! :eek:

I remember thinking to myself "here we go! This could only happen to me". I had visions of him passing out or something similar.

Anyway, we landed OK. As we walked back to the flight school's hut, the instructor walked off in front whilst I strolled on watching the planes. When I looked back, the collar of the instructor’s white shirt was covered in blood! I didn't say anything; I hoped the next poor git to have a lesson wouldn’t spot it until in the air.

Not funny at the time - believe me - but I can smile about it now. :\

Canada Goose
22nd Mar 2006, 16:16
Not exactly hilarious but did crack a smile at that time - last year at the start of my initial MEIR I was taxiing for a rwy intersection when the tower gave me a conditional clearance. I complied and pressed the button on the yoke to acknowledge the clearance. They promplty called me back with the same clearance. I promptly acknowledged again, thinking it a little odd. At that point the examiner casually mentioned that I was infact pressing the autopilot button, not the PTT !
:O

Shaft109
22nd Mar 2006, 16:34
I was once in the back seat of a PA28 overhead LAX at 7500' going to Santa Barbara and needed a pee REALLY BAD:\ . There was nothing for it but to find a used oil bottle in the back and organise myself.
Quite tame really, but a little bird tells me one lad had to go No2 coming back from Vegas over the desert at 8 grand. Bye bye LA Sectional chart out of the DV panel. Until they got back to *** ***** and realised it had hitched a ride all the way back on the fin. :O

Willows
22nd Mar 2006, 16:51
I once flew into a 'swarm' of balloons a few miles away from a hospice. (Swarm? Maybe it's flock?) I found out later there was a charity event for cancer or something and they had a balloon release.

Fecking scared the crap out of me, I thought it were seagulls. Funny now I think about it though.

Superpilot
22nd Mar 2006, 16:59
On my 3rd or 4th lesson, my instructor is trying to emphasise the need for a good lookout, teaching me all the scan for traffic techniques etc. Then decides to add a bit of fun to the whole thing and says "for the next 10 minutes lets see how many aircraft I can spot, compared to how many you spot".... After about 5 minutes he's in the lead by about 2, and then suddenly I see a big fu**off shadow looming over his head, I say "there's some traffic". He looks left, right, behind, up, down and says "Where!", "There!" I say again pointing to a location up and to the right. He grabs the controls puts the plane into a dive at about 45deg bank shouting some heart warming expletives. Made my day! :cool:

dwshimoda
22nd Mar 2006, 18:49
Practising spinning during my PPL - I used to tuck my chart and check list inbetween my thigh and the door on the C-150. Entered the spin, let it develop & then s**t myself when the door flew open mid-spin, ejecting 20 quids worth of stuff into the Bedfordshire countryside at 4,500 feet! Luckily I never subscribed to writing my name or aircraft reg onto the check list!

Taught me to think about where I store stuff now - and why I should always wear the harness :)

d2k73
22nd Mar 2006, 19:47
Last summer i went to out to weston aerodrome (dublin) for a VFR flight in a C152. Got inside the aircraft and closed the door, (at least i thought i had) taxi to active was fine, during take off at about 50 kts the door opened at shut several times, caused by the fact that i had a bottle of lucozade between my thigh and the door and when i closed the door it just bounced off the bottle and didnt shut properly!:\ Had to hold on to it untill we climbed to a reasonable hight so i could open a close it properly!