PDA

View Full Version : EU Black List

thomay
22nd Mar 2006, 12:08
Here is the link to the official EU Black List

http://europa.eu.int/comm/transport/air/safety/doc/flywell/2006_03_22_flywell_list_en.pdf

Are you on it? :E

JohnnyRocket
22nd Mar 2006, 12:19
Just to give it some context:
The European Union banned 92 mostly African airlines from its skies after a wave of fatal air crashes last year. It put restrictions on a further three companies. The ban, the EU's first-ever such blacklist, is due to come into effect on Saturday and works on the principle that an airline banned in one of the bloc's 25 member states will be outlawed in all of them.

JR

r3500vdp
22nd Mar 2006, 13:12
Only surprise to me is African International Airlines since they've been flying to Europe quite often. I assume that Das Air is not the same as Das Air Cargo ?

suppie
22nd Mar 2006, 14:23
Only surprise to me is African International Airlines since they've been flying to Europe quite often. I assume that Das Air is not the same as Das Air Cargo ?

Noop....Das Air is from Uganda and not from Congo

Scimitar
22nd Mar 2006, 16:48
Isn't African International the outfit run by Alan Stocks from Crawley? The one that neatly followed the demise of IAS Cargo back in 1980.

ContractFlyGal
22nd Mar 2006, 16:49
I thought that Northeast Airlines was re-registered in a Kazik country....no longer Swaziland.

Captain104
22nd Mar 2006, 17:26
Hmmmmm...........Gentlemen :bored:

My feelings about this list are a bit reserved. Or shall I say: this list must be a hoax!
How many passengers in Europe (EU) will ever be in a situation to decide whether they should trust one of about 50 "airlines" registered in the Democratic Republic of Kongo? Perhaps BUTEMBO AIRLINES or FILAIR or WIMBI DIRI AIRWAYS will suit??? ;)

Come on! This funny list is the outcome of endless political discussions in Brussels under the secret headline: how to avoid problems or retaliation from Russia, Turkey, Egypt or Cyprus and other countries who send rotten aircraft in rotten condition with rotten trained crews( you know what I mean) all over Europe.

Instead: stay off the hot staff and feed the stupid Pax in Europe with info from Equatorial Guinea and Swasiland. These so relevant info grab my nerves and they make me shudder. Yours too? ;)

Regards

egsshell
22nd Mar 2006, 19:19
Looks like the two Ariana Afghan aircraft at Lasham will not be going anywhere for a while - not in their present colours at least.

The SSK
22nd Mar 2006, 20:18
Hmmmmm...........Gentlemen :bored:
My feelings about this list are a bit reserved. [snip]
Come on! This funny list is the outcome of endless political discussions in Brussels under the secret headline: [snip] grab my nerves and they make me shudder. Yours too? ;)
Regards
Captain 104 your analysis is between 80% and 95% correct. That's not going to stop this little issue from having all kinds of repercussions.

Phileas Fogg
22nd Mar 2006, 20:39
With a name like 'RWABIKA BUSHI EXPRESS' I'd ban them just on their name alone :))

Knold
22nd Mar 2006, 21:42
I'm glad to see EU bureaucracy was able to take an unbiased stand once again :yuk:

The operating ban on Ariana Afghan Airlines applies to all aircraft operated by this air carrier except the following one : A310 registration number F-GYYY.

I swear the frogs will kill us all... IMHO

cwatters
22nd Mar 2006, 21:52
....this list must be a hoax!

A list was released recently...

http://news.google.co.uk/news?hl=en&spell=1&tab=wn&ie=UTF-8&q=blacklist+airlines&scoring=d

an-124
22nd Mar 2006, 21:53
So does anyone know if AIA has actually been banned? Are they not flying out of MSE anymore? When does the ban come into affect?

AlphaWhiskyRomeo
22nd Mar 2006, 22:24
I'd be very surprised if it was the same African International that flies DC8s around Europe and beyond. It says that that one is based in Swaziland, whereas the other is South African I believe. Plus their ICAO number is AIN, is it not? They are still flying in the EU today, so I'm pretty sure it ain't them.

Strikes me that some suspect operators may give themselves similar names as reputable operators to try and slip the net?????

MungoP
23rd Mar 2006, 00:44
I don't pretend to know the exact reasons behind this ban, it may be that we can take the EEC regulating body at face value, I don't see why paranoia should be allowed to creep in. I've had ( and am still having ) the pleasure of operating in both Congo and Afghanistan and personally welcome the restrictions based on, if nothing else, the lack of regulatory effectiveness of the aviation authourities of those countries....especially the DR Congo. If nobody is taking care to ensure that operating practises of these ailrlines meets the minimum standards then they most certainly should not be allowed to operate into Europe. I believe that Ariana Afghan Airways is taking steps to overhaul its operation, its competitor, Kam Air should take note... As for the Congo, as with most things, there's little hope.

big fraidy cat
23rd Mar 2006, 08:34
This is an interesting article which appeared in today's Cyprus Mail internet edition.

Supervisor needed to inspect planes
By John Leonidou

A BILL to implement an officer to supervise the worthiness of airplanes has been unanimously approved at the House Communications Committee.

The bill, which was also approved by officials of the legal services and civil aviation, notes that an officer be placed to specifically supervise the inspection of all aircrafts to see if they are airworthy or not.

Speaking to reporters, Department of Aviation Director Iacovos Demetriou said, “It is vital that this bill be implemented because Cypriot air legislation has to be in accordance with European regulations.”

The Head of Air Safety in Cyprus, Andreas Paspallis, said that the implementation of the supervising officer was ruled after a visit from officials of the International Air Transport Association (IATA) who had noticed that the legislation on plane inspections for airworthiness were “not clear”.

Paspallis added that with the current legislation, it is the civil aviation that would have to face the music should anything go wrong with an aircraft after it has been inspected.

”The European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) has some new regulations which contradict the civil aviation laws and of which needed to be amended. For example, that supervising officer would be responsible for the maintenance of the aircraft and would also be responsible should the aircraft pose a fault. As things stand now, it is the civil aviation that would be responsible if something was to go wrong with an aircraft.”

Copyright © Cyprus Mail 2005

an-124
23rd Mar 2006, 10:31
It is the same African International. The Swaziland DC-8's are the DC8-60 series. They also have the south african registered DC-8 50 series that cannot come to Europe anyway due to stage 2 noise restrictions. Be interested to hear from any pilots or loadies who know anything about what is going to happen to them.

BRISTOLRE
23rd Mar 2006, 10:35
Nope.. the 3D- reg example is -54 and the -60 series are ZS South African registered. These should be OK, its the 3D regd and Swazi AOC operated aircraft that will be banned.

latetonite
23rd Mar 2006, 11:34
Capt.104: I totally agree. I do not see any sense-making reason to ban some of the DRC companies: they never head this way anyway. There are some more interesting ones just south and east across the European borders , making headlines every year, and they have been apparently forgotten..The majoraty of the list are there just to make up this list. Window dressing comes into my mind..

Freeway
23rd Mar 2006, 12:08
The fact is we would probably never ever see 99% of these airlines in the EU anyway.
The threat from sub standard airlines, operating potentially dangerous aircraft, due to shoddy engineering and lack of, if any, decent pilot training comes from countries much closer to home than the DR of Congo.

Russia and especially its recent breakaway republics, Iceland, the Balkans, Turkey and most of the north African countries are I believe pose much more of a threat to the EU, as these airlines based in the countries mentioned above already fly to EU destinations on a regular basis.

So lets sort out the above bunch of gash operators and then I might just start believing in the Black list.

PS. BLACK list.:eek: ..... wouldn't have thought they would get away with calling it that in todays politically correct society, especially considering where the majority of the airlines are based.

MarkD
23rd Mar 2006, 13:44
Freeway

you have to start somewhere. I wonder if EU govts/orgs will be forbid hire of/travel on these airlines even outside EU airspace. That might help push the point home in some cases.

Freeway
23rd Mar 2006, 13:54
I agree with your point that they, (the EU), have to start somewhere, I just wish that the powers that be would look at what is occurring right under their noses, right now.
Anyway, I suppose we should be grateful for small mercies, and the fact that, as you say, we have a starting point with at least something to build on.

Earl
23rd Mar 2006, 19:03
This is a very good thing.
I personally witnessed the B/S with North East Airlines, registered in Swaisiland attempting to operate out of KSA.
I was furloughed from a ACMI carrier at the time.
They claim now that someone hijacked the AOC and this was not them.
More lies and deciet.
Still have the ID card and paperwork.
Never was paid as many others either.
Good on the EU.
Time for these people to hit the road.
A good company will never ask you to lie about records proficency or anything.
When we allow these things to happen we lower ourselves to another industry standard.
Before long we have no standards at all.
Then we complain as to why they are cutting our salaries.
Its our own fault, good on them for looking into the operating standards of these companies.
From what I have seen some low time guys will accept things such as this, just to get the foot in the door.
Time for this to stop.

daedalus
24th Mar 2006, 09:25
Dear Freeway,

What's wrong with Icelandic airlines? I have flown Icelandair previously and it seemed fine to me. There is an Icelandic company flying from Hahn to Reykjavik which I was thinking of using.
Should I think again?:oh:

Freeway
24th Mar 2006, 16:17
No Icelandair is fine. It's the flag of convenience charter operators that I was really referring to.

locust
3rd Apr 2006, 15:24
The Sierra Leone Air Universal, (banned airline) is applying for a Cypriot AOC and become an EU Airline.

AIRWAY
3rd Apr 2006, 15:27
A loophole in the rules so that others banned can follow :confused:

r3500vdp
3rd Apr 2006, 16:21
Air Universal is based out of Jordan. They moved from the Sierra Leone register quite a long time ago. There used to be a captain who flew L-1011's for them on this forum as well.

big fraidy cat
3rd Apr 2006, 17:41
Perhaps this has something to do with a previous post on PPRuNe.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=194740&highlight=cyprus

Cathar
3rd Apr 2006, 18:54
Air Universal is based out of Jordan. They moved from the Sierra Leone register quite a long time ago
It is not where the aircraft is registered that is important in this case, it is which state issued the AOC. It is clear from the recitals to the Regulation establishing the blacklist that Air Universal still operated under a Sierra Leone AOC and that this was inappropriate considering that they were based in Jordan. In particular see recital no. 78 which states "While the Air Operator’s Certificate of Air Universal Ltd was issued by Sierra Leone, evidence shows that the airline has currently its principal place of business in Jordan, contrary to the requirements of Annex 6 to the Chicago Convention."
A loophole in the rules so that others banned can follow
I don't think so. A whole new set of rules will apply and while the name is retained it will be a very diffent company. They will have to be majority owned and controlled by EC nationals to get an operating licence and will have to meet JAR-OPS standards to get an AOC. In this way the objective of the Regulation will have been achieved.