PDA

View Full Version : C182 crash in Colombia - video

Dufo
22nd Mar 2006, 11:47
Quoting user Jsqvl1 on Airliners.net:
Here' the link of the video:
http://www.colombiaserver.com/apps/accidente.mpg (14.9MB)
The video was presented by Noticas RCN, a news segment from Canal RCN of Colombia
The plane was operated by Patrulla Aérea Colombiana (Colombian Air Patrol), a non-profit organization that helps people with medical assistance on remote places of Colombia.
There was 4 people on board: The pilot and chief of medical staff, another doctor, a little boy recently operated, and the mother of the boy. Just the pilot survived, but he has burnings on 95% of his body and is fighting for his life.
:ugh:
edit: alternative video location: http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZWC2XJYgcJU

richiya
22nd Mar 2006, 13:58
it would seem the plane was overloaded, on rotation the front landing gear is off the ground for a long time before the main gets off, strange..

On a caption of the film the pilot tells the lady sitting in the front of the plane not to touch the pedals with her feet under any circumstance!

RIP and I hope the pilot recovers from his injuries.

fernytickles
22nd Mar 2006, 15:19
Richiya
So you're the NTSB, the AAIB and the Columbian version all rolled into one then? It could have been caused by any number of different factors (engine not producing full power, too much flap, etc, etc), and making such sweeping statements based on watching a rather fuzzy video recording without knowing all the factors involved seems a bit rash.

180 Too Fower
22nd Mar 2006, 16:19
Very sad and awful.....looked like a big oxygen bottle in the back, have to say it did look "out of Limits" when it did get airborne....bit like a Cranefly trying to get airborne with string attached to it's tail. Sad.

richiya
22nd Mar 2006, 23:16
my thread started with "It would seem"...sorry I gave my thoughts:hmm:

cplpilot
24th Mar 2006, 20:56
"March 21, 2006

An aiplane from the Patrulla Aerea (Air Patrol) crashed in Mosquera, Nariño, a small and remote town in the south west part of Colombia. Immediately after takeoff, the plane, a Cessna, was pushed by heavy crosswind, and crashed into a house, killing a boy, his mother and a doctor on board. The pilot, Rafael Arenas, aged 42, who had been working for 10 years on the Air Patrol, survived with burns on 90% of his body, but died later in the Intensive Care unit of El Valle Universitary hospital.

The Air Patrol is a Colombian ONG, made by pilots and doctors to bring medical care to people in the most abandoned regions of the country."

My thoughts to all of them....

Philippec
24th Mar 2006, 20:56
The dust cloud stays behind the airplane, it doesn't seem there's a heavy cross wind.
The nose of the airplane is quite high, and even in a soft field take off, a pilot must keep an eye in front of him. So he might have lost perception of where he was going and not keeping track with the runway, you'd then think you're going straight and easily forget to apply counter rudder pressure.
As well, the CG might have been aft, therefore, applying a normal back pressure on the controls becomes too much of a back pressure...
He realizes that he's not aligned with the runway, and afraid of hitting obstacles, keeps the back pressure on -> not enough speed, etc...
But it is clear from the start that his visibility in front of him is blocked by the nose of the airplane, don't you think?
Now, the right passenger might have applied pressure on the controls too by accident.
My sincere thought to the family, may they rest in peace.
:(

biggles190
26th Mar 2006, 04:31
Pilot error, a C182 tail will touch the ground if C of G is to far back.
He lifted off to early with over half the runway left and kept the tail to low not alowing the air craft to gain speed.

If he kept it straight,and lowered the nose he may have recovered the situation.