PDA

View Full Version : Overweight Pilot

scruggs
21st Mar 2006, 19:47
Hi All

I wanted to ask a question regarding the weight limits of pilots. Recently I was at Antigua VC Bird, waiting to board VS34 back to EGKK. After checking in we went through to the departure area, when I saw, what I could only describe as shocking (to me at least).

For there, standing in front of me, was a pilot (captain) of a Caribbean commuter airline. A pilot in an airport, why is that shocking I hear you ask. The shocking bit for me is that this guy looked about 5ft 8 tall, and in my estimate weighed around 25 stone. And no, he wasn’t big-built like a body builder, to put it bluntly, he was the fattest pilot I've ever seen.
I was just gob-smacked. Most pilots I've seen are fairly athletic in terms of body physique, I thought you would have to be to pass and maintain a Class1. Am I wrong here?

Seriously, I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I thought limits were placed on this kind of thing. Are other countries not as strict in terms of medicals as the UK/JAA medicals? Or are class 1's in themselves not as strict as some (like me) think.

Our VIR pilots stayed at the same hotel as us (St James Club), and they seemed in better shape than this particular pilot! CC weren’t bad either:E

At this point, if I've offended anyone with this post. I apologise in advance. It was not my intention. I am just curious as how this person maintains his medical.

Cheers.

Steve.:ok:

scruggs
21st Mar 2006, 21:36
Cheers for the reply Jimmy The Big Greek (which for some reason is now removed).

According to this website:http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/bmi/calc-bmi.htm

If you have a BMI over >30.0, then you are classed as obese. So if what you say is true - in aviation, pilots can technically hold a class1 and be obese.:confused:

Anyone else care to shed some light on this?

I'd just like to emphasise, I'm not trying to be rude or offend. I am honestly interested to find out.

Cheers,

Steve.

Fountain Pen
23rd Mar 2006, 10:26
Yes...you can have a BMI of over 40 and hold a Class 1 certificate....

This has been canvased before....BMI 30 or under you get no hassels from the CAA..over 30 BMI well depends on them what they do next...

What they usually do is to get you to go to a cardiologist and do a stress ECG....then get a report from him...then your TRI or E will have to get you into the cockpit and make sure you can demostrate that you can handle all the controls normally and can perform emegency procedures without any problems....

So after all that...they just pass you and you have your Class 1...so they just give you a hard time until you get to 30 or under on the BMI reading...

I know...as I have this problem...got to stop drinking beer and red wine...and I love my food....need more excerise I guess......darn it!!!....

scruggs
23rd Mar 2006, 11:47
Many thanks indeed for clearing that up FP, I appreciate it.

All the best,

Steve.