View Full Version : Language differences in other countries

Ifrboy
21st Mar 2006, 13:06
Hi,

I’m currently employed as a helicopter pilot in Europe but due to personal reasons I might find myself moving all the way up north (denmark/norway/sweden).

While the move isnt that much of a problem for me, I’m more afraid of the language differences that will come with it when applying for a job over there. At the moment, my current knowledge of scandinavian languages is pretty much near zero.

Recently I’ve been told that, especially Norway, seems to usually only take people that speak the local language. Is this true?
I can understand that small operators prefer native pilots to enable easy conversations… but would they hire non native pilots that dont know the local language (but do speak 3 other languages)? And what about bigger operators (offshore, ems, etc)? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance

By the way, I realy like this forum, very active with a lot of recent postings going on. Keep up the good work :ok:

mortennb
21st Mar 2006, 16:36
Sweden and Denmark i dont know.

But I know some of the companies in Norway (EMS) require you to speak atleast 1 scandinavian language.
If your going offshore, I beleive its more duable.. But not 100% sure.
If you are planning to apply for a job flying inland.. I think you have to speak the language.

Martin1234
21st Mar 2006, 20:22
It is a requirement that the SAR operator in Sweden only employ pilots that can understand and being understood by others that speak any of the Swedish accents. I don't know if there's a similar requirement on the HEMS operators.

mortennb
21st Mar 2006, 21:21
It is a requirement that the SAR operator in Sweden only employ pilots that can understand and being understood by others that speak any of the Swedish accents. I don't know if there's a similar requirement on the HEMS operators.

Lufttransport A/S is one of the biggest HEMS in Norway with several bases in Sweden as well. And I know they require 1 scandinavian language.

i4iq
21st Mar 2006, 22:22
IFRboy

I have some Swedish linguaphone tapes you can buy off me if you want to start studying!

|Ken|
22nd Mar 2006, 11:25
What about Korea, Japan and Brunei?

bigm
22nd Mar 2006, 12:26
I learned the most Swedish I know from the Chef on that show.

At least so I thought.

Good luck with the learning of the Scandinavian languages, I started, but never completed it, they are tough! I did try Swedish on a casette program back in the late eighties.

Mike

Pandalet
22nd Mar 2006, 13:11
There's always the Norword mailing list, should you develop a sudden desire to learn conversational Norsk. I may have the mails archived somewhere if you're really desparate, but google would be a better bet. It's essentially a basic language course that gets mailed out one lesson per day.