View Full Version : Is getting an Advanced Ground Instructor rating worthwhile?

bigm
20th Mar 2006, 13:56
Hello All,
I am going to be taking my written tests for FOI and CFI in the next week or two, with my CFI checkride following shortly thereafter (I hope!).
My question is, according to the FAR's, and the pilot test preps. the question pools, as well as the information I am studying are the same for the Advanced Ground Instructor rating as they are for the rotorcraft CFI (with a few fixed wing and glider questions thrown in).
I know that the DPE for our operation has an AGI, but I don't know anyone else that has one. I plan on asking my CFI next week what he thinks of it, but could anyone give me some constructive input.
It would seem to make sense to take the AGI test at the same time as your CFI test when you are all studied up, and as you renew your CFI in the future, the AGI would renew along with it. The only negative is that I would have to spend $90 for the initial test and rating.
I am planning on doing instruction for a while after getting my CFI (and double I), so it would seem that the AGI would be a good additional credential to have. In the ASA test prep, it only indicates that you must pass a written test to get the AGI, does anyone else have a AGI rating, and is this true?
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Kwasimoto

SASless
20th Mar 2006, 14:32
Do both the Ground Instructor rating tests....might as well do so since the questions are the same almost as for the CFI and FOI. If you ever lose your medical for some reasons or a job description calls for you having them....you are a step ahead.

You can walk in cold to the Ground Instructor tests after having done the CFI and FOI and pass no problem due to the commonality of the material and questions.

I did that years ago...and still have not used them but it sure makes for page filler material when you start copying licenses for applications.

ATPMBA
20th Mar 2006, 16:09
I got both Advanced and Instrument Ground Instructor. I believe I took the basic and instrument exams, presented both to the FAA at one time and got the AGI & IGI. Check with them as times have changed. Also, the GI ticket is good for life! I believe if you have a GI ticket and can pass 4 out of 5 students on their first checkride you can become a Gold Seal Instructor. The best time to do it is when you are doing CFI training as their is much overlap.
On the down side I believe the exams are geared to fixed-wing.

HillerBee
20th Mar 2006, 17:52
It's not that simple becoming a Gold Seal instructor!