PDA

View Full Version : Nigerian JJC

Alpha Bravo Bravo
20th Mar 2006, 12:57
I was referred to this forum by a friend and i have found it quite intresting.I am a nigerian and have just completed canadian cpl with multi and instruments rating.I was actually in canada for a different purpose but ended up becoming a pilot.

Now my question is:
1. i am on my way back to Nigeria and will like to know how valid my canadian licenses are, i know i have to convert but what are the processess?

2.I understand it is difficult to get a job in Nigeria without getting type rated. Which type rating do i get, 737 or dash 8, etc?

Thanks for the anticpated advice and by the way, how s employment now in naija for locals?

surely not
20th Mar 2006, 13:13
Suggest that there are more options to you if you get a 737 type rating. -300are becoming popular, but there are still a lot of the old -200's around.

Aero are the only major Dash 8 user in Nigeria which limits yr opportunities a little

18left
20th Mar 2006, 14:21
To convert your canadian licence,you will need to sit three exams,airlaw performance and loading.
Theres an impending pilot shortage in Nigeria as Virgin Nigeria,Aero and other airlines are mopping up pilots BIGTIME,it will be foolhardy wasting your money on a type rating,without coming to nigeria first to "test the waters" as you might be hired and type rated and of course BONDED,but if you have excess cash to spare ill recommend 737/200 and 300 differences and pls do make sure the type rating center is Ncaa recognised otherwise????????????

european champion
20th Mar 2006, 14:31
If there is really a shortage of pilots would they consider hiring foreigners for first officer positions?

AlternativeProcedure
20th Mar 2006, 18:00
Hi ABB,
Have to agree with 18L on this one, just come down and see what the options open to u are. As for the dash type rating, i dont even think Aero will be impressed with that. Its generally not that type of a company. Maybe the Rivers state government might be, they have one Dash8 at POT. I reckon that by the time NCAA are done with you conversion wise, things will have picked up alot jobwise for the low hour guys.
One thing to remember is that, for every one day you are away from Lagos airport, you miss an opportunity. Mobil just conducted some interviews, very nice company, Capital might be doing some in a month, there's always Wings, Overland etc etc.
The chances of flying something big here are a lot better than Canada for a low hour pilot. So grab the chance, put in the hardwork at NCAA and Nigeria is your oyster.
AP

Alpha Bravo Bravo
20th Mar 2006, 19:04
thanks alot good people. Will put on hold the type rating stuff for now.So whats the procedure like contacting NCAA? I know they used to be at Lagos? are they at abuja now?
Will PM u guys as soon as i arrive naija for a drink!! Have been away for 4 years now and cant wait to get back!

Sabastienl
21st Mar 2006, 17:00
Hi Folks,
Just Q for the thought to see how things are in Nigeria camparing
to other parts of the world when it comes to landing flying job for 500h
or so pilots. My Question goes as such; could a person whose none Nigerian
land a job with any of the local operators like Blue Tail or ADC or any
of the others flying 73 since it is the mostly used aircraft in Nigeria where
he would to finance his type rating or willing to be bounded for the type
rating if the operator choses to train that individaul without too much
hassels? or you think it is just too much run around for none Nigerians?
I know you guys mentioned about license conversion req.! that's understood-
now how about none Nigerian Nationals is it easy to convert or is it differnt
rules for foregin pilots?
Last Q & it is just general? How is aviation now a days in Nigeria
following the two recent crashes ....are things back in the upswing
again?
Any reply will be well appreciated ....O by the way I am not South
African! ...no offence to South Africans!

AlternativeProcedure
21st Mar 2006, 17:33
Hi Sabastienl,

Are you sure you're not from SA? Only kidding dude. regarding this issue of employing foriegn F/O's in Nigeria, to be quite honest, there are different standards, i know of 2 who are employed. So who's to say its impossible, although the general spill you'll get from airlines here is that they dont employ expat F/O's. For a none Nigerian F/O looking for a job in Nigeria, arm yourself with a type and who knows, companies who are really desperate for 732 pilots might take you.

AP

Sabastienl
23rd Mar 2006, 16:39
Hi AP,
Thanks for your reply....want to ask what are these guys flying? Turboprops
or jet?...how easy for a foregin pilot let's say from EU to land jet joggy job
in Nigeria given he had invested in 73 type rating? One last thing ....just
out of curiousity what sort of pay a person can expect generally speaking
....no need to be specific!? Actually, it may be worth a while for the folks
at Blut Tail (F/Os) with 1 year since joining to post salary a new joiner may
expect ..... I would be defenitily interested in landing something with them
if I can as they have now the largest 73 fleet in Nigeria, I think!
you can post your reply ....or pm if you desire! :)

AlternativeProcedure
23rd Mar 2006, 17:13
Hi Sabastienl,

as minimum, you should be looking @ at least =N= 250K, at 250 naira to the pound it basically works out to be 1000 Pounds Sterling a month. Some companies will pay upto =N= 480K. Coming from Europe, that might look like peanuts initially, but when u consider that on average, if you live with the bare essentials(like I do), you save at least 800 pounds every month, then it starts to look better. The salaries I have posted are for the Nationals, I dont know what an expat f/o will take home, probably more.

AP

Engine Noise
23rd Mar 2006, 17:23
AP,
How how about corporate airlines in Nigeria? Whats the employment rate? Are they good to work with?

AlternativeProcedure
23rd Mar 2006, 18:19
Hi Engine Noise,

by "corporate airlines in Nigeria" I'm assuming you are talking mainly about executive aircrafts. From my limited experience(and I must stress this) these are mainly one man bussinesses and the day he decides that salaries wont come that month, you have to put up with that. The number of aircrafts in such organisations are usually less than 3 in number. When an aircraft is U/S, the pilots are usually the ones that suffer.

Be prepared to be within that airport for long periods of time waiting for that call from the "oga". as with executive flying, one sometimes needs to travel to destinations outside the "usual" areas. Nigerian being Nigeria, you would have to do a lot research about your destination yourself, unpublished masts, opening times, suitability and even animals on the runway. As usual with corporate work everywhere, dont expect to log alot of hours. The only substantial hours you'll be logging are duty times sitting in the aircraft waiting for "oga".

Employment rates? Once again, bk to the old question of nationality, if ur an expat, come with type and experience, if your a national, work hard and network your way in.

AP

Sabastienl
24th Mar 2006, 05:59
Hi AP,
Thanks for the reply, we can say then 1000-2000 GBP...ok! how is the
living in Nigeria like ...expensive or alright comparing like to UK. I know
Africa generally speaking cheaper to live in than europe, but some may
differ! How about B.1900D anybody flying those birds in Nigeria ....any
idea...contacts possible.
Keep the chin up....have fun on the Otters.

centurion_ue
8th Apr 2006, 17:22
mind if i ask a question?how many hours does one have to log b4 getting a job down here in nigeria?

18left
9th Apr 2006, 05:44
the hours you have when you obtain your cpl is good enough an atpl is even better

giopi
9th Apr 2006, 10:07
And which are the requirements for Direct entry captains for the 73?

Virgin Nigeria is getting 737, who else gets 73-300/500?

18left
9th Apr 2006, 10:24
captains vary any where from 4000-6000 total time with at least 1000hours p/1, on type. aero also operates the 300 series,and a couple other airlines will start replacing there fleets to 3/4/5

bradnie
12th Apr 2006, 01:00
Anyone heard of this rumour,that there is possible a RJ 700 operator out of Lagos.Any truth to this.