PDA

View Full Version : Night Rating

bolty_1000
20th Mar 2006, 11:31
All,
Can anyone suggest to me a good place in the South East (Close to London or Bournemouth) to do my night qualification.?
Im looking to do it at the end of May / Beginning of August and so far everywhere I have looked at closes at 9.00/9.30. (About the time of sunset!!)
Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!

OpenCirrus619
20th Mar 2006, 12:09
I'm sure there must be others - but the only place I know that stays open late enough to do a Night Rating in the Spring/Summer is Southend (H24).

Some other places are "...by arrangement". :hmm:

As you've probably found its not getting an aircraft / instructor thats the problem - its finding an airfield, with lights, thats open. :(

Unless you need to get the rating urgently I would just wait until BST ends and do it then :ok:

OC619

mungo_55
20th Mar 2006, 12:14
Hmm, yeah I see what you mean. I just finished mine at Bournemouth at the Solent School of Flying, but looking at the info for Bournemouth they only stay open till 9.30 as you say. I think its a general problem with night ratings over the summer. Don't think Gatwick or Heathrow would be too keen on letting you do it !

When I was at Denham they could keep someone there to do the lights for you after hours, if they wanted to. Have you tried Chichester (Goodwood) ? Looks like they've got lighting and maybe they're small enough and friendly enough that one of the schools can make similar arrangements with them.

Lord Flashheart
21st Mar 2006, 09:07
BST doens't start until next weekend and you can do a night rating in two nights so try do it this week if possible.

Best of luck.

RicChester
21st Mar 2006, 09:17
Also, make sure you get it before starting the MEIR as apparently the CAA aren't too happy about people starting IR's without having done the night training (as I found out on my IRT recently :eek: ).
Happy Landings,
RichC

IRRenewal
21st Mar 2006, 09:30
Coventry always used to be an option. Don't know what the current climate is with TF operating there.

Gerard

Sky Wave
21st Mar 2006, 09:39
Try Solent Flight at Southampton. Very friendly bunch. Southampton certainly stays open that late but if the instructors wish to work that late is another matter. Give them a try anyway www.solentflight.com

SW