PDA

View Full Version : SAA turfs disabled group off aircraft

Deanw
20th Mar 2006, 08:35
Cape Times: March 20, 2006
SAA turfs disabled group off aircraft

By A'eysha Kassiem

After touting SA's disability model and policies at an international conference in Malawi, members of the organisation Disabled People SA (DPSA) say they were "humiliated" and "embarrassed" when asked to disembark from a South African Airways (SAA) flight due to their handicaps.

They are taking the matter to the Human Rights Commission (HRC).

SAA has apologised, and is investigating how the group of 16 people's medical information was not transferred to the return flight crew, who would have deployed additional staff.

According to SAA, based on international air policy, an additional crew member was needed for every three disabled people.

SAA spokeswoman Jacqui O'Sullivan said they had launched an investigation into the matter.

"When there are several disabled people on board, you need additional staff. For every three disabled people, you need one additional staff member. I met with them (the aggrieved disabled passengers) at the airport and communicated that to them and apologised."

Andrew Kudakwashe Dube, resource adviser to DPSA and one of the passengers, said: "We were half-way through boarding when the captain ordered that all boarding be stopped and that we be removed from the aircraft."

He said they were told that due to "safety concerns" they would have to leave the aircraft. Only three of their group were allowed on board.

"Some of us were seated, but we were told to get off. We initially thought there was a misunderstanding because we had made provision for our own attendants, but the cabin crew informed us that we had to disembark.

"Here is a captain who is (supposed to be) concerned about safety, but who is happy to leave a group of disabled people on the tarmac.

"This was very embarrassing as we had just come back from a conference where we praised SA."

Dube said there were a number of participants from Botswana and the UK, among other places, who were also part of their group.

Another passenger, Vulelwa Mbolekwa, who is blind, said she was "very shocked".

"This rule was new to us because, when we left SA, we all travelled together and were not informed of this ... We were treated like criminals."

MarkD
20th Mar 2006, 18:08
something very similar happened on a Ryanair flight (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=194006)

Blah Blah Fishpaste
21st Mar 2006, 07:06
That what you get when you put the wrong people in a position that they are not trained for or actually just couldnt be bothered to do it properly, because eish, its a job! this will bee the end of years of hard work.

Viva Africa....:mad:

Deskjocky
22nd Mar 2006, 10:53
Not sure when this incident happened but SAA has just migrated its CRS from Axsres to Amadeus, there have been lots of issues around info in bookings not generating through to the airport etc- could be one of the causes. Still this is no excuse to only discover the problem when the pax are already boarding- where was the management at check-in? whole thing could have been resolved in a much less public manner if this were done.

Deskjocky
22nd Mar 2006, 10:53
Not sure when this incident happened but SAA has just migrated its CRS from Axsres to Amadeus, there have been lots of issues around info in bookings not generating through to the airport etc- could be one of the causes. Still this is no excuse to only discover the problem when the pax are already boarding- where was the management at check-in? whole thing could have been resolved in a much less public manner if this were done.

Afriviation
22nd Mar 2006, 18:14
Blah Blah Fishpaste, who are the 'wrong people' ?

reptile
23rd Mar 2006, 15:04
Afri.....you trying to create another scene?? :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

nozzle
23rd Mar 2006, 17:01
Very well said fishpaste i agree with you 100 percent either way saa and its service stink.I only fly with saa because i have no choice but otherwise i would not set foot on board.

Combustion
23rd Mar 2006, 17:16
funny enough the last time i flew saa i was disgusted with the service.
Will it ever get back to what it used to be ??????:

Blah Blah Fishpaste
26th Mar 2006, 07:35
:uhoh: Afri.....i see you like fishing....see new thread