PDA

View Full Version : Flight Training College - George

CapCon
19th Mar 2006, 22:24
Hi All,

I'm a PPL holder living in the UK and looking for the right FTO to get my fATPL. During many hours of searching I came across FTC George, who claim that they can supply a JAR licence! Now this is great news as it eliminates the need for changing licences back in the UK.

I travelled along the garden route last August and would love the opportunity to carry out my flying training there!

So my questions to you all are:

1) Has anyone trained there?
2)What is it like? (facilities, atmosphere, a/c, professionalism)
3) Is it a JAR ATPL? (not very clear from the website)
4) What are the costs like?

I would appreciate any feedback

Cheers,

CapCon

Solid Rust Twotter
20th Mar 2006, 04:31
It is not JAR. The only school doing a JAR course in SA is 43 Air School and apparently it's restricted to a group of Irish students and comes in around 95000 Euro.

Kittycat
20th Mar 2006, 09:42
Have to agree with Solid Rust Twotter.. never heard of such a thing that FTC (or CFS - next door flight school) can provide that!
:confused:

CapCon
21st Mar 2006, 02:22
Hi All,

Thanks for the replies so far.

What confuses me is, if they don't do JAR training, why the big JAR sign on the homepage?!?! :confused: Could that just be PPL?

Here's their site:

http://www.flighttraining.co.za/

Cheers,

CapCon

Phenomenon
21st Mar 2006, 10:47
I'm honestly don't know about FTC George but before FTC Jo'burg went tits up I know they provided full JAR CPL courses. They had a British instructor there that used to do it. Maybe FTC George scooped up the instructor after FTC Jo'burg fell off the wagon?

sky waiter
21st Mar 2006, 15:47
FTC, used to have the right to do JAR, there is no school besides maybe 43 that offers that, as FTC george was a franchise of the original i think they still use the branding thats about it.

dynamite dean
22nd Mar 2006, 21:14
zzzzzzzzz...........
That one again. When I was down that way it was JAR this JAR that eventually on thier sign board it was 'JAR affiliated!' Currently 43 are busy setting up a JAR system but only can be done with instructor with the relevent FI endorsements from a JAA state and it is much more complicated than just grade III and Grade II as it is as per south african licensing. So it will b e a tme yet before we see a full JAR compliant school down there but certainly watch this space.:rolleyes: