PDA

View Full Version : Passeneger rights and consequential loss

Daysleeper
19th Mar 2006, 19:14
Right, mate of mine had tickets to Rome to watch the Scotland rugby match. Turned up at Thomas Cook check in to be told the flight no longer existed and he should have been contacted.....So what are his rights? They are offering a refund for the flight tickets. I think he is at least due the EU standard 400 euro for cancellation without notice (each way?) though he would still be out of pocket for the hotels and rugby tickets. Any thoughts?

Desert Diner
20th Mar 2006, 04:20
I think chartered flights are seen differently than scheduled.

Probably the best he can get is a full refund for his air fare and some patronising advice about buying travel insurance for the next time.:}

At least it was cancelled on his outbound flight. He really would have been :mad: if it was on the inbound

Daysleeper
20th Mar 2006, 06:35
It was sold as a scheduled flight and besides the EU passenger rights information draws no distinction between the two.

At check in the girl said "we no longer have that route, we did inform most of the passengers"

So I don't think they can claim any of the usual excusses of "Safety" "weather" or similar.

striparella
20th Mar 2006, 10:32
Whoever he booked the tickets from should have informed him whether it be a travel agency, online etc etc...they are the people responsible for telling him.

I can't remember off the top of my head but i don't think ths situation qualifies for the 400euros comp.

The SSK
20th Mar 2006, 10:42
According to the Regulation (http://europa.eu.int/smartapi/cgi/sga_doc?smartapi!celexplus!prod!DocNumber&lg=en&type_doc=Regulation&an_doc=2004&nu_doc=261) (Article 5.4):
The burden of proof concerning the questions as to whether and when the passenger has been informed of the cancellation of the flight shall rest with the operating air carrier.