PDA

View Full Version : New MOD Security Poster

Wyler
19th Mar 2006, 16:37
Was in Newcastle last night at a dinner with a very good friend. He asked me if I had seen the new MOD Security poster. Apparently, a friend of his, a barber from Ashington, had been approached in the street by an advertising type agent asking if he would be interested in doing a photo type job. He was a little sceptical but took them up on the offer. He was the main 'model' for this poster. All well and good until I was told he was flown to Greece and Cyprus, put up in 4* Hotels and paid, wait for it, 2000 quid a day!! He travelled with about a dozen 'essential' people from the agency and was away for a total of 8 days. His main talent? He 'had the look of the Middle East' about him. I cannot say these figures are accurate but I have known my mate for over 20 years and he is not prone to exageration.
Is this value for money? Does the MOD really have to pay these rediculous amounts of money for a bloody poster that will join all the other posters tha wll be ignored or 'coloured in' by the troops?

SirToppamHat
19th Mar 2006, 16:56
Wyler
I am sure that's peanuts compared to our new branding! Did you know we were the Royal Air Force? God knows what that has and will cost to put in place. How many hours will our people spend trying to work out how to get the crest to go at the bottom of the first page of a letter without it appearing on every other page ...... Though I had to laugh during a recent meeting with NATS when their rep anounced they were being re-branded to be called NATS (the change being that they were no longer National Air Traffic Services (NATS), just NATS).
Also peanuts compared to the cost of all the studies and 'consultants' that come in to tell DPA what the rest of us do. Picture the scene; SO2 level chap leaves the Service and gets picked up by a civvie company. Returns to work with a new friend who is versed in techie and management speak, and proceeds to interrogate the eng and ops SMEs before returning and presenting a report to the Hd of the IPT (SO1) who is also an SME. Total cost? I dread to think, but I reckon they start about £500 per day per person and go up from there. Value for money?

STH

Grum Peace Odd
19th Mar 2006, 17:07
Value for money?Abso-bl:mad:y-lutley! Especially when I get my chance to be one of those 'consultants'! :E

airborne_artist
19th Mar 2006, 17:19
I'd lower my daily rate to £2,000 a day to help out the cash-strapped MoD with some modelling :E

Beagle-eye
19th Mar 2006, 18:32
Was speaking to a MoD mate last week and he was telling me how much travelling he is doing at the moment. I commented that he must be busy. His reply .... no, not busy just using up travel budget before end of year :(

airborne_artist
19th Mar 2006, 18:54
His reply .... no, not busy just using up travel budget before end of year

Of course, because if it's not all spent, he'd get less next year :uhoh:

Tartan Giant
20th Mar 2006, 14:39
After reading about this ourageous waste of public money, I wrote to my MP who was equaly shocked and will be asking this question in the house.

I am tabling a Parliamentary Question today to ask:

What (a) national and (b) regional advertising campaigns have been carried out by the MoD in each of the last three years and what has been the cost of (i) the creative work and (ii) the purchase of airtime/media space for each campaign.

If it's not the devious :mad: bastrd BLIAR hiding "bungs" for gongs/Lords, then it's his mob throwing more money around.

TG

A2QFI
20th Mar 2006, 15:07
I think this reads across very aptly to the tabloid drivel about an overseas training flight, referred to in another thread on this forum!

ukatco_535
20th Mar 2006, 15:21
SirToppamHat

I understood the rebrand was due in the main to the CAA wanting their logo back, as NATS are now no longer part of the 'same company'.

Any change in the way the name is banded about is just piggy backing with the logo change.

However, in the current climate of cost cutting, I think that NATS et al need to have a think about how money is spent.

Logo roll out day is the 27th!!

I am excited - not!

SirToppamHat
20th Mar 2006, 18:09
ukatco_535

Yes, they mentioned that, but it still doesn't explain why they are no longer National Air Traffic Services, does it?

STH

airborne_artist
20th Mar 2006, 18:48
Wyler - I understood your post was for an internal MoD poster - is that correct? If so, Tartan G's MP's Q won't cover the spend on this and similar wastes, sorry, expenditure?

Tartan Giant
3rd Apr 2006, 22:49
My MP got the answers.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/TartanGiant13/Military%20Spending%20Ads/Page1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/TartanGiant13/Military%20Spending%20Ads/Page2.jpg
That's £12.5 million "Creative Costs" - now look at the "Media Costs". Enough to build a hospital or two; or enough to pay nurses a decent wage!
Wasted £££
TG

Blacksheep
4th Apr 2006, 04:52
Naval Service??? Bloody Hell!, I can understand the much abbreviated Royal Air Force being abbreviated to RAF, but what happened to the Royal Navy? Perhaps its because so many of the sailors are hiding beneath the waves these days, that nobody knows they're there...

That 68 million quid won't buy two decent hospitals either, but its probably enough to build a couple of the NHS variety. And never mind paying the nurses more, its the cleaners who need a bit of encouragement.

Questions:
1. How many recruits do the forces need these days and how much does that bill work out per recruit?
2. Are they worth it?
3. Would the money be better spent on retention schemes?

Fox-1
4th Apr 2006, 13:30
The reply is a little misleading as it details the spend on RECRUITMENT advertising, and therefore does not include internal Security, Flight Safety, Fitness Test etc spends.

I haven't seen the new Security poster, or if I have I didn't notice it, but I think it would have been cheaper to Court Martial some poor chap for leaving a Secret document on a photocopier. Would have got much more Forces interest.

ProfessionalStudent
11th Apr 2006, 10:43
How DO you get the crest at the bottom of the first page and not the rest?

steamchicken
11th Apr 2006, 15:15
Naval Service=RN+RM+RNR+RMR+Cadets+Civvie Employees