PDA

View Full Version : Job Prospects

Aerofoil
18th Mar 2006, 23:21
Hi all,

I'v tried to search for this question but i couldn't find anything....

I'm a newly qualified frozen ATPL holder and i am considering getting a type rating on a biz jet. Something along the lines of a Hawker 125, citation, falcon etc. I was wondering if anyone could give me some sort of idea as to the chances of a 21 yr old getting employment with 290hrs and a type rating?

I used to be under the impression that bizjet operators like you to have a lot of hrs but have heard otherwise recently although im aware Netjets want 1500 hrs total.

Many thanks in advance

Foil

B200Drvr
19th Mar 2006, 08:08
Aerofoil,
Most want abit more than 290 hrs, what you have to decide is if you want to spend $32K for a 800xp or $45k for a DA2000, with no job offer, it is a huge gamble for that type of money. I would go knock on doors and see if I could find a King-Air or the likes to start on and get the experience required for a company like Netjets, you will learn alot more along the way and put yourself in a better position for them to hire you, a move from a piston single or multi with very little time onto a jet with the latest hi-tech glass cockpit can be tough. Good luck

Flying brick
23rd Mar 2006, 08:23
Hi,

I have done a typerating on a bizjet (Hawker 125) and I have about 7000 hrs TT of which more than 6000 PIC on multi engine turboprops. Well, no way to find a job with that type rating for the time. You just have to be a the good place at the good time... Good luck:ok:

badgerpuppy
23rd Mar 2006, 08:58
dude,

you need to get to know people, get networking, it isnt hard. Just dont behave like a berk, be yourself and if you have the cash for it, as the other guy says, get a rating on something small. The operator will save a huge ammount of money and before you know it you will be taken rather seriously as it will stun you how fast you learn when you are in the light jet or turboprop charter market.

last year i watched a guy with 210hrs pass a single pilot check ride on a citationjet. Now he has over 500hrs, loads of multicrew sectors under his belt and will go on to do great things. It only cost him about 8 grand with accomodation and thats not much more than an instructor's rating.

Falcons and hawkers are there in the future, it's just a natural progression, the market is actually pretty good at the mo and will continue to be for the forseeable future, take the first steps properly. Look after the pennies and the pounds look after themselves, if you see waht i mean.

bah!:ok:

badgerpuppy
23rd Mar 2006, 14:31
no me old, someone completely different but i'm sure CM is a fine chap all around.

jibber.:ok:

Roland Burgyan
27th Mar 2006, 09:40
Dear Aerofoil,

Why don't you try to apply for an airline and get the hours to apply for a company like NetJets later on? I was 21 and had 220 hours when I joined a regional airline and now I fly for Netjets. In the last 6 years I've done 3 jet type ratings and I payed 0!! I think this way is more cost efficient than buying a type rating on biz jet (unless you're 100% sure to have a job).

All the best!!:ok:

Roland