PDA

View Full Version : re-enlistment to NCA

rock_dove
18th Mar 2006, 20:24
hi folks,
pretty sure you guys are fed up of seeing these questions coming up on your forums all the time but i'll chance my arm anyway! Im just curious to know what the procedure would be (should i be accepted!) for re-enlistment to the RAF as NCA/wsop. spent 5 years in on TCW as comms op and then jacked chasing the non existing IT job we were supposed to be able to walk into! been back on civvy street for just over a year now and i cant say its lived up to my expectations. If anyone has any advice on the procedures for re-enlistment, ie, repeating Halton etc, i would be most grateful to hear from you. cheers:ok:

ProfessionalStudent
18th Mar 2006, 21:00
Don't take it as gospel but...

I would expect the AFCO to snap your arm up but don't forget that you won't get streamed to either WSOp(AEOp) or WSOp(ALM) until after the 24(?) week generic trg package (though 25%ish of the NCA output of 55 Sqn NCA are streamed to the latter spec).

I wouldn't have thought you would have to do Halton again (apart from maybe kitting) then you'll join A Sqn at OACTU for that course (not sure on the length). I think 55 Sqn runs open days for prospective candidates but I'm not sure if it's open to civvies (even ex-serving ones) but give them a call at Cranditz to find out. You never know, they might offer for you to come along anyway. Nothing ventured and all that...

Feel free to PM me for more info if you don't get what you want elsewhere.

Good luck anyhow:ok:

Hoots
18th Mar 2006, 22:14
If you contact the NCA recruitment team at Cranwell im sure they can point you in the right direction and give you all the information regarding the changes in structure to the different course. Havn't got the phone number to hand and the MOD operator aint that great, but they come under the recruiting umbrella, so even OASC can point you in the right direction to contact them.

If i was in your shoes i would contact them before the AFCO.

Good luck

Ginger Beer
19th Mar 2006, 07:41
Yep,

They'd rip yer arm orff,

Only coz they can't find many people dumb enough to sign up for a career that may or may not be the one they wanted.

Just suppose you really wanted to be a loady, SAR Crewman, dangling off the rope saving lives, AFCs, VD and scars etc ?

After your initial 12 weeks of B@!!ocks on OACTU, you do 24? or so wks of generic Aircrew trg at 55(R) and then................. PMA tell you that you are suprisingly suited to be streamed as a .....WSOp(AEOp) at Kinloss, funny eh ?

You will be totally at the manning mercy of PMA. It is a great idea from PMA, as this system would address the problem areas of NCA manning defecit however, there is one slight problem.............. they didn't anticipate that Mr Average ain't so dumb and the recruitment numbers are frighteningly low. So low, that they are unable to fill courses.

So, the future holds.........................?

Ginge

sooms
19th Mar 2006, 09:51
Are those terms of enlistment right?
Surely no-one, not even a spotty 19yr old would join up before knowing what their job will be at the end of training?
Also, what happens if you are unsuitable for both?

airborne_artist
19th Mar 2006, 09:59
Also, what happens if you are unsuitable for both?

They get offered an exciting role in the RAFP :E

Ginger Beer
19th Mar 2006, 10:57
Yep,

You can only apply to be NCA. not FE, not LM, not AE.

You will be streamed according to manning requirements, aptitude and personal preference however, this streaming will only take place once you are in the mob and have completed Basic Mil trg, NCA Basic trg on OACTU and the generic Aircrew module of the professional trg cse. That is nearly a whole year of service so far .....Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I know I wouldn't go for that, I don't know of anyone who would ?

Imagine joining up wanting to be a Pilot and when you get streamed are put into an OC Supply job because the system says your aptitude suits it and there aren't any Pilot slots at the moment ? Doh.

I don't ffink so,

Ginge

Dogfish
19th Mar 2006, 12:04
rock dove

How did you get into the RAF in the first place, through an AFCO of course, so why don't you go back there and get all the information that you need. Failing that go to http://www.rafcareers.com/ and you'll get all the information there on all 3 trades within the NCA aspect. For a starter the closing age is 32 with a minimum terms of service of 12yrs.

As for going through Halton again you will unfortunately have to do the whole 9wks seen as it's been over a year that you've been out. UNLUCKY:{ Then it's off to sunny Cranwell. Good luck, I'm sure you'll come out with a lovely :\

rock_dove
20th Mar 2006, 10:39
cheers guys (even dogfish?) thanks for the gen, found it helpful to get a realisitic spin on the nca recruitment process and not some supply cpl in an afco reading out the pma rhetoric to me, but now im forewarned about the pitfalls i can pay a visit to the afco without being bluffed! so once again, cheers 4 the help, all the best:ok:

FAO Dogfish:
i am aware of the usual recruiting procedure for the RAF, and due to having some experience of AFCO personnel ie, when i joined first time,(as you pointed out in your reply) i know that you will not always get a realistic and truthful explanation of your chosen trade/their chosen trade for you, so i thought i would take it upon myself to be proactive and speak to some people currently serving within the world of aircrew to get some advice and a more realistic point of view on the procedures, but hey, cheers for your comments anyway, think i may just go to an afco now...............:\ :\

PTC REMF
20th Mar 2006, 14:25
Cranwell used to run a intro day ( ususally the last thursday of every month). I'm not sure if they still do. It showcases all the diffierent (branches /trades?). Might be worth the trip, the instructors/ students might have some extra info .

Wessex Boy
20th Mar 2006, 17:08
Is the NCA process as tough/Political as when I went through it in the Late '80s?
Swinderby April '88 (17 flight)
Finningley AAITC 146 Course
Shawbury 67 & 68 Course ALM (Rotary)
Innsworth Jun '89, Chopped, dismembered and offered RAFP or Steward!

and does it still include the Yorkshire Dales and Otterburn, those places that I turn all misty eyed when I recall those happy hours of climbing hills, carrying pine poles, leading men and singing?:{

FJJP
20th Mar 2006, 17:39
I suspect the best advice would be to talk to the staff at Cranwell. They might have experience of others who have been in a similar position and there may be a different way in rather than through the AFCO.

Worth a call - it may be that there is a streamlined entry since you've only been out for a short time [equivalent of SERE for officers].

Could be the last?
20th Mar 2006, 18:16
There is a NCA open day at Cranwell on 30 Mar 06! Ring and book a place if you are really interested! Good Luck

Klingon
20th Mar 2006, 18:53
Rock Dove

How old are you? There's still an age factor to consider, if youve been in/out and round about you might fast be approaching the witching hour, which was age 31 for qualifying candidates or age 26 for direct entry.

I agree with contacting Cranwell direct, youll get a far more sensible answer than the AFCO. :cool:

rock_dove
20th Mar 2006, 19:08
Hi klingon, ive just had my 24th birthday so i think ive got a bit of time on my side. any idea who the best P.O.C at cranners is, dont think the staish would be too happy if i interrupted him whilist having his mid morning pimms and lemonade!!:D

markerboy
20th Mar 2006, 19:14
Rock Dove

Am currently a distructor on 55(R). PM me and i'll give you as much gen as I can.

Whaaa newark
21st Mar 2006, 06:18
Rock Dove

I used be on the Wing as a TCO, and there are a lot of ex TCOs that are now NCA, it seems to be the thing to do. If you have any questions or need any advise pm me. I should be able to sort you out a visit if you are serious about reapplying.

No Whaaa

THELONELYSAC
24th Mar 2006, 14:14
A good website for NCA Applicants is
www.airmenaircrew.freeserve.co.uk (http://www.airmenaircrew.freeserve.co.uk)

If your in the RAF PM me with RAFMAIL account email and ill send you an intranet link to NCAITC page!

good luck:ok:

rock_dove
29th Mar 2006, 18:54
hi SAC, im out in the cold in civvy street at the mo, no RAF mail for me (did administrators course on trade training, is it still sh1t?) but if you have any other bits and bobs that can help i would be grateful, cheers:ok:
BRAINFART, soz!