PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Reactivation problems

Shaft109
18th Mar 2006, 19:03
OK Need to reactivate XP over the internet. No problem until it can't determine network connectivity. It was connected before I needed to reactivate and now it can't find the IP settings.

Now i can't seem to get on in safe mode to check the IP settings.

What do I need to do to make sure the settings are right? As you can see, the connection is fine from my Mac, but not the PC, and the router is set up ok.

Cheers, frustrated.

Mac the Knife
18th Mar 2006, 19:18
Phone Microsoft. Provide you've got even a half-plausible reason for reactivation they'll give you an activation code (they don't want you to be tempted to install a non-MS OS).

The UK free-phone number is 0800 018 8354.

Richard Spandit
18th Mar 2006, 19:27
What happens if you open a command window and type "ipconfig"? I imagine your router contains a DHCP server (dynamic host control protocol?) so if your XP machine is set to "obtain an IP address automatically" you shouldn't need to know any specific addresses

Shaft109
18th Mar 2006, 22:46
Sorted, 3 days later......

Basically I installed a network card so i could connect to my existing set up (Mac and Router) using ethernet. That's when all the fun began, apparently adding an NIC causes a reactivation to be required, but somehow buggered the IP settings on the computer. I eventually used the phone number and got it all back under control.

The router was operational all the time and so i knew it wasn't that.

What a farce, I'm sure that people love XP, but i'm sticking with Mac.

Thanks, Shaft