PDA

View Full Version : Spanish+French

kerrinator
18th Mar 2006, 10:37
How much of an advantage is the ability to speak, 2 extra languages, when it comes to getting that first job???.
Reason I am asking is because, I never went to college to do A levels, and I'm doing them now as a private candidate. The subjects I chose are French and Spanish. I chose them, because I can fluently speak them.
I know it seems that I chose these particlar subjects, because its the easy option, but between doing ATPL exams, working full time, I don't really have the time to do subjects, I'm not familiar with.
Any opinions would be great
Many thanks!

GusHoneybun
18th Mar 2006, 11:34
well, the only advantage to being able to speak french and spanish is that you can apply to work for companies in both these countries as well as the UK and Ireland. Although it is unfair to people that only speak english, it is a fact that spanish and french companies conduct their business in their native tongue and require employees to do so also.

having said that, i managed to get a job in scotland without speaking a word of the lingo :ok:

scroggs
18th Mar 2006, 12:46
There's also the benefit that you might have a chance of understanding what's going on in French and Spanish airspace! The French (and all their ex-colonies), in particular, seem very reluctant to use English for aviation communication.

Other than that, the chief advantage for having other languages is if you wish to work in those countries. Note, though, that you will need a comprehensive knowledge of technical terminology in your chosen languages.

Scroggs

king rooney
18th Mar 2006, 17:59
thing is that you would probably have little chance of getting a job in France or Spain, as it would appear there are sack all jobs available. Asked the same thing my self a few monts ago porque hablo espanol corriente, have a look here:
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=205638