View Full Version : Air Malta

Wingswinger
11th Nov 2005, 17:02
I've noticed that Air Malta is looking for A320 captains to be based at BHX and BRS. Does anyone out there have any information on the company, its culture, its routes, future plans and the T&Cs on offer?

Wingswinger
16th Nov 2005, 20:53
Just bringing this back to the top.

pindakaas
28th Dec 2005, 08:04
Dear all,

I have a possible interview coming up with Air Malta in the next month. I am an A320 F/O. Can anyone shed some light on the terms and conditions they offer? I couldn't find anything so far. Thanks a lot in advance!

Cheers,
Pindakaas

Positive Landing
28th Dec 2005, 20:02
They should have sent the T&C to you when invited to the interview???.
For captains is 58000 pounds gross (Sorry, no info for F/O´s), plus 2.5 per duty hour. Private medical insurance; Base: Bristol.

Good luck:ok:

Conway Bomber 2000
18th Jan 2006, 09:56
I know Storm Aviation is looking for rated guys/girls for Air Malta, give 'em a call !

Good Luck !

Dani
19th Jan 2006, 10:19
The present ad is for saisonal and full year contract. You might want to contact Storm directly, they are very nice and will provide you with the information.

I heard Air Malta pilots are not so much happy, lots of flying, unstable roster and less pay than in Malta. Pay is much better in Asia for sure. And if you want to fly from UK, then EJ is better...

BAe 146-100
19th Jan 2006, 10:53
I assume this is for the new three year contract Air Malta has signed with Excel Airways flying from BHX & BRS with two based A320s? Flights will be operating on behalf of Excel to the Canary Islands, Spanish Med resorts, Greek Islands, Cyprus, Red Sea, Turkey and ski destinations. If nothing else the flying aspect will be interesting! :ok:

Regards
BAe 146

Binder
18th Mar 2006, 09:37
Air Malta are advertising for DE positions on the Bus at BRS & BHX.

Does anybody have any info on T's & C's ,rosters etc. Would appreciate a heads up. Thanks.

Binder

Wingswinger
18th Mar 2006, 10:17
Binder,

I've sent you a PM.

WS

pickers
18th Mar 2006, 13:09
Hi, any chance of the same PM please? Thanks

Scanwing
18th Mar 2006, 20:56
Does anyone who has applied for the position as F/O on A320 heard anything from someone yet?

I applied but nothing yet, hope to hear from then soon. I have no hours on type but totaltime of 1630h and A320 rating.

Cheers

nitrowired
29th Mar 2006, 14:45
Hi everybody.
can any one tell me what kind of interview at Air malta are done for F/O position. specially i would like to know about the tech part and the sim. if any one has any information about that company please write here. thanks

LEVC
29th Mar 2006, 15:26
i cannot tell you what do they ask but i can ask somebody i know who got hired by them not long ago.

I don't know where are you from or what ties you have in Malta, but,
as far as i know the most difficult is not the questions but to be called for an interview, it's not a writen rule but you must be maltese to be considered for a F/O position, and also have plenty of contacts.

I know of at least two A320 rated foreign pilots who applied and got no answer, one of them quite experienced, has flown 1000's f hours on turboprop, so for what it seems they aren't looking for experienced people even if they have a rating in the most common aircrat in their fleet.

In any case wish you good luck

When i see the guy i'll ask him about the process and will post it here.

Air Polygamy
29th Mar 2006, 16:15
I heard they badly needed Pilots cuz thier are leaving. Is that true?

LEVC
31st Mar 2006, 07:51
Yes a lot of pilots are leaving (20+ in the past 6 months!!!!!!), but all of them are Captains, no copilots leaving, and there are Maltese pilots applying to join them as copilots, i don't think they need unexperienced pilots, they are in need of experienced Captains.

As i said there has been foreign A320 rated pilots (with litle or no time in A320) applying and they haven't even been interviewed or asked to asist for an interview.

PGCLRC
4th Apr 2006, 18:38
Has anyone heard what they're offering? Salary expectations, conditions etc..?

Hakeem Shakur
6th Apr 2006, 13:09
I spoke to a pilot's wife who said her husbad's salary at Air Malta didn't help pay the bills. Pretty scary for an airline. The guy is now flying for QR. but I know for a fact taht they need pilots.

Mindie
21st Apr 2006, 15:52
LEVC,

Did you ask the pilot you know about the airmalta interview etc?

LEVC
21st Apr 2006, 22:39
Not yet, i have been away for almost 10 days, but i should be meeting with him this week end, i'll post any info i get on the subject.:ok:

As i said before, the feedback i got untill know from several persons working in the company, is that it is more important who you know and where are you from than any other thing to get in to the company.

And i confirm what Hakeem Shakur has heard, wages are much lower than virtually any other company in Europe.

Odlix
21st Apr 2006, 23:45
As far as I know they have foreign people on their UK bases. Wage around £3000. Not flying a lot of hours right now I heard.

fokker
22nd Apr 2006, 11:00
it's not a writen rule but you must be maltese to be considered for a F/O position.

Errr ... I don't think so. Malta is in the EU, so this would be illegal, wouldn't it? Of course, there would be nothing to prevent them requiring you to pass a technical interview in Maltese, as KLM does. (In Dutch, obviously! := )

LEVC
22nd Apr 2006, 12:00
It is not a writen rule, and , yes , they require "O" levels in Maltese, i know of very few people of other european countries who can speak maltese (can you Fokker?), and none of them are pilots.

That, translated in plain language, means they do not want foreign pilots in Air Malta, and you must be Maltese to get in.

Odlix
22nd Apr 2006, 12:08
It is not a writen rule, and , yes , they require "O" levels in Maltese, i know of very few people of other european countries who can speak maltese (can you Fokker?), and none of them are pilots.
That, translated in plain language, means they do not want foreign pilots in Air Malta, and you must be Maltese to get in.

You mean for maltese bases, right? I only know two Air Malta pilots; one is dutch, the other one's french. UK based though.

Gianni 268
22nd Apr 2006, 18:02
Air Malta has one base in Malta and one in the UK as far as I know. apart from the problems being posed by a bunch of pilots leaving for the likes of Emirates and Qatar, there is also the looming problem of low-cost operators soon to start operating in Malta.
Easyjet are soon starting, and probably Ryanair in the near future. with the exorbitant ticket prices charged by Air Malta, one wouldn't be surprised if the airline is forced to take some drastic measures soon.
and yes, KM pilots are arguably some of the lowest payed in the EU.
the problem is that, Air Malta being the only airline based in Malta (apart from Britishjet, which owns one MD-90), then there isn't much of a choice for pilots wishing to live in Malta. they either accept the low wages or drag their families to go and live in another country. and since Malta has no land links to mainland europe, then travelling to and from is quite expensive. not to mention the high departure tax charged by Malta International Airport. Pity isn't it?

wingnut-will
9th Jul 2006, 07:48
Air Malta are currently hiring cadets for traineeships. I think all you need is a JAA F. Atpl. No mention of hours minima, except it is a bonded flying position for 10 years. But I think there are different terms for experienced F/o's. AM operate A320/A319 and B737 classic.

Apply at http://www.airmalta.com/page.jsp?id=4728&siteid=1

I wont be applying unfortunatly. I'm still PPL! Good Luck.

Rayoflight
9th Jul 2006, 12:32
The only information I can provide is for Air Malta.

The Cadet Scheme they provide is only for nationals, or Maltese speakers. The reason why is obvious, they want the people to be in Air Malta, and not move around. They also require a ten year bond.

The pay under maltese contract is veeeery low and that is why people are leaving and Air Malta are so desperately for pilots.

They also hire expats for the UK base and the contract offered is from six months to a couple of years. Moneywise is much better than the maltese contract (but still low for A320 flight crew).

Terms and conditions... well there are no conditions.

F/O Basic Salary 36000 GBP per year (Gross).
Capt. Basic Salary 60000 GBP per year (Gross).

Duty pay F/O is 3.5 and 4.5 Capt. (aproximately 4000-5000 GBP on top each year)

2 days leave per month. 8 days off per month.

5% basic salary bonus at the end of every year.

No pension scheme.

Low loss of licence.

Medical Insurance.

Roster... HELL, complete chaos, higlhy unreliabe and unastable plus ridiculous set up (for example flying the same crew and few routes for months, because in Malta is the way we do it). We still do it manually, no computer system.

From Malta normal european destinations, Paris, London,...

From UK base charter destinations to Canary, Balearic and Greek Islands, Egypt, Portugal, Spain and Cyprus.

Enviroment in Malta not good due to bad relationship between Union and Management. In UK there is no union and no control from management.

Although not very high salary, bad T&C´s and bad organization people generally quite good and kind of operation is fun.

Sahha.

:ok:

Charlie Roy
11th Jul 2006, 21:13
If Ryanair set up a base in Malta as is being suggested, a lot of jobs at Air Malta will be in jeopardy.

See this article:
http://www.maltatoday.com.mt/2006/07/09/t1.html

Charlie Roy
18th Jul 2006, 23:11
I don't know whether to laugh :} or cry :{ at this Air Malta report, effectively saying that Ryanair and Easyjet shouldn't be allowed into the Maltese market because they would generate too much tourism and would put pressure on airport transfer coaches amongst other things.

http://www.businesstimes.com.mt/2006/07/05/t3.html

Low and behold it might create a few jobs in the airport transfer coach market, eh?

Poor Air Malta though :sad:

Bad Robot
7th Sep 2006, 23:10
I see Air Malta are recruiting again for BHX and BRS.
Any Info on Rosters?

Plus the usual questions on T&C s

BR.

Kanger
8th Sep 2006, 09:57
'Selected candidates will be required to enter into an agreement with the Company, which will require them to bind themselves for ten (10) years from the date of appointment as Junior First Officer.' http://www.airmalta.com/generic/marketing/advert%20CPL_2006.pdf
:ooh:

wilcoluca
8th Sep 2006, 10:42
They say Maltese Language is a requirement...

Bad Robot
8th Sep 2006, 14:51
Thanks Guys, but I was referring to the BHX & BRS contracts advertised by BALPA. So I don't think the 10 year rule will apply nor the language requirement, as it is a contract from March - October 2007 with a possible extension.

BR.

Jap
8th Sep 2006, 15:52
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=233477&highlight=air+malta

cheers

WhiteFly
9th Sep 2006, 07:44
Hey I downloaded the application form but didnt see anywhere any mention that you must be from malta.. I only noticed that you have to hand it in person or by a representative of yours.

Being from greece i was thinking of taking my motorbike and go there through italy.. should be fun!

pilotpilot
10th Sep 2006, 20:27
Hey whitefly, I strongly suggest that you clarify whether or not you have to be a Maltese national before you hop on yer bike! Management at Airmalta (Malta base) is quite chaotic... they might have left a sentence out or made a mistake. The advert would have passed from manager to assistant to assistant's assistant to secretaray to secretary's assitant etc etc... hehe! :) As far as I know Airmalta is currently not recruiting non-locals to be based in Malta....

Bad Robot
10th Sep 2006, 22:24
Air Malta ARE recruiting for UK,March 2007.
Based in either BHX or BRS.:ok:

BR.

Bad Robot
12th Sep 2006, 19:16
Epsilon....Check your PM's

BR.

wilcoluca
13th Sep 2006, 06:59
I'm also interested in knowing how i can apply....

no sponsor
13th Sep 2006, 11:40
Their requirements to have a Maltese language O'Level, in addition to delivering it by hand, a copy of your Government ID card, and the police conduct certificate would suggest the need to be resident in Malta, if not a national.

flysi
26th Oct 2006, 19:19
It has taken over five years, but I have finally been offered my first airline job. By a happy coincidence, two offers have materialized in the same week. The question is...Air Malta or Royal Brunei? Both would involve flying
A319's and A320's.

Any information regarding these airlines would be much appreciated.

For those still applying, stick with it.

Gravox
26th Oct 2006, 20:37
Congrats,
If it doesn't rain it pours. You find yourself in a very envious position,to be able to have a choice between two operators. You only, can make the desicion so it requires plenty of thought.

I have a friend who use to fly for RBA on the B757, and used it as a stepping stone to move on to bigger and better things. He said he was over worked and under paid, and didn't really like living in Brunei?

Best of luck with you choice

PPRuNeUser0215
27th Oct 2006, 06:31
Although we all think at some stage that flying bigger is flying better, the real difference between one job and another is Lifestyle.
With similar types, of course this is not part of your question but in my opinion, even if it was, it shouldn't make that much difference.
So best to establish what life you want for the next few years. Perhaps a bit of adventure would suit you, in that case RBA could be a nice change from the European life you know.
Or if you already have kids and family (or short term plans), you would be better off staying in Malta/Europe.
Perhaps you should also consider the stability of the currency you will be paid in, cost of living, saving possibility, career prospects.
Then again chances are, because it is your first airline job that you end your career with either of them so you might want to go for the one offers the most diversity/fun etc...

In any case, you can't go wrong because once you have a Bus or a Bong on your licence, you will never be in the situation you have been in until now.

If it was me, I would go for the sunny place so I can have my boat moored not too far and use it most of the year. ;)

tom775257
27th Oct 2006, 08:24
Isn't Brunei a 'dry' country... 'nuff said! Still I guess it would be cool to live somewhere completely different.
I might see you in Malta, I'm starting next month... I take it you got the call yesterday too??

Too much celebrating last night...feel ill...off to bed again!!

scroggs
27th Oct 2006, 10:06
While this topic should really remain in Wannabes, there is unlikely to be anyone there who can adequately answer your questions. Hence the move to T&E, where you're more likely to find people who have experienced employment in these airlines.

Scroggs

P.S. This thread might help: Air Malta (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=217378). I can find nothing useful about Royal Brunei, though you might try a Google Advanced search on RBA.

flysi
27th Oct 2006, 10:42
AMEX - Thanks for your advice. Lifestyle will be the deciding factor.

TOM 775257 - Yes, I got the call yesterday. Have you decided on Malta, then? If yes, any reason other than being able to go boozing?

From what I gather, there are roster and pay issues with both airlines. Wonder if that's just airline pilots having a whinge?

Bad Robot
27th Oct 2006, 12:00
Ad appeared in Flight again on 17th Oct, this is the 3rd time I have applied but with no response at all from Air Malta:confused:

Exactly what requirements and experience levels do they require, as I would seem to fit their minimums?:ugh:

BR.

tom775257
27th Oct 2006, 12:31
Hi flysi,

I only had the one job offer so no choice involved. However for me the lifestyle in Malta seems in line with what I like in life. I can sail, scuba dive, there is a good night life, good food etc. I guess the other issue is how far you are happy to be away from friends and family, and that depends on you personally. My brother moved to Seattle, absolutely loved it there, however returned home due to that reason. Sorry I can't help you further, and good luck with your decision.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Brunei_Airlines

http://www.travellersworldwide.com/14-brunei/14-brunei-about.htm

Tom.

Bus429
27th Oct 2006, 13:15
Air Malta
RBA is under resourced but full of plans that rarely - if ever - materialise. That said, interesting part of the world. Have a look at previous posts concerning RBA over the years.

flysi
27th Oct 2006, 15:01
BAD ROBOT - I have no idea what Air Malta's minimum requirements are. I, and about half a dozen others, got job offers this week having done A320 type ratings at GECAT. Experience levels range from 250 hours up to 1500 hours, although none has airline experience. A quick interview and a sim ride.

TOM - The social scene on Malta should be good, especially with a few of us going from GECAT. Just concerned about no pay for two months...

BANANASBANANAS
27th Oct 2006, 15:27
I have no experience of Malta so can't comment on that side of the argument but I did work for 9 years for RBA on the "Bong" fleet so can perhaps offer some insight into Brunei in general and RBA in particular.

Brunei is indeed a "dry" country but you will discover a million and one ways around that. Don't let that put you off.

I left RBA just over a year ago and the Airbus fleet was definitely a better run, fairer and much happier outfit than the Boeing fleet. What you do need to be aware of is that RBA is undergoing a major (and fairly haphazard from what I hear) fleet change which may well involve the A319 A320 fleet being taken in part ex as part of a deal which sees B773 and B738 arrive. You need to make sure that when the music stops you will still have a seat!

The training you will receive by RBA is pretty good in all fairness but the shine can wear off very quickly. If you are just looking for a couple of years "fun in the sun" and receive (in your contract) adequate assurances about A319 A320 longevity then I would definitely recommend it as a stepping stone to better things. Otherwise I would take a close look at what Malta has to offer. PM me if you want any more specifics.:ok:

geraldn
27th Oct 2006, 18:08
are u going to be part or full time ??,based in malta or uk??,

congrats

Bad Robot
27th Oct 2006, 21:00
It would appear that Air Malta are only interested in Young blades with limited experience levels.:{

BR.

767Pilot
28th Oct 2006, 04:40
Flew for both.
Would say go for Air Malta without a doubt. Wouldn"t go back to Brunei, ever. But would go back to Malta.

flysi
28th Oct 2006, 11:26
BAD ROBOT - At least two of those offered a place with Air Malta are in their mid to late 30's, so it's not necessarily just for "young blades". We were lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time.

GERALDN - It's a full-time two year contract with Air Malta, of which at least the first 400 hours would be flown from Malta. After that, perhaps Bristol or Birmingham.

EPSILON... - I've no idea why you have not been offered a position. Why do the airlines do half of the things they do? There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the recruitment policies. Good luck.

Bad Robot
28th Oct 2006, 18:22
I'm sure there is an element of luck for those recently successful but you would have thought those of us who weren't, would at least had some sort of aknowledgement one way or the other; or even dare I say it an interview? After at least showing our enthusiasm by applying several times and still keeping our fingers on the pulse.

BR.

Dmax
29th Oct 2006, 01:35
Do you know if Air Malta is looking for 737 Type Rated?

Wich metod did you use to apply to Air Malta?

Thanks
Davide

cruisecontrol
3rd Nov 2006, 15:32
Hi all, and congratulations to those with job offers, it must be a great feeling to have to choose between employers!

I just wondered if anyone who has successfully completed the GECAT SSTRs would be prepared to comment on the age profile of candidates there? I'm in my early 40s with a frozen ATPL and the necessary funding in place, however I think I might be on the old side now for acceptance onto a course and for subsequnt employment with the airlines.

Any advice/comments much appreciated.

flysi
3rd Nov 2006, 18:20
Hello cruisecontrol,

On my SSTR course at GECAT, we had the following:

1. a 146 captain (in his fifties, I think, but he might slap me for writing that), who is presently flying RJ's for some ridiculous sum of money. I'm not sure if he'll bother going for an Airbus job as a result.

2. a 36 year old flying instructor (with 1,300 hours). He has a job offer with Air Malta.

3. a 28 year old former weather girl who had 250 hours and 5 minutes. She has an interview coming up with another airline.

4. a 38 year old air taxi pilot (over 1,400 hours) who will be joining Air Malta.

There was another 38 year old on the course after mine, but he has yet to get an interview.

Suggest you contact GECAT and discuss it further with them. Speak to Debbie French (tel; 01293 596712).

PPL152
13th Jan 2007, 05:26
They had a call for a applications last year from late Summer till December.

Their requirements included

1) Multi-Engine CPL/IR

2) 1 Advanced Level at Grade C or better from Maths, Physics, Computing or Business Studies.

3) 5 GCSE 'O' Levels to include Maths, English and Maltese.

I believe their call of applications is now closed.

Regards,
PPL152

chrislikesblue
13th Jan 2007, 07:52
I believe they are still hiring fos with A320 type rating,could someone confirm this?

CLEAR4T/O
13th Jan 2007, 16:27
This link will take you there, they are looking for drivers in both bristol and birmingham. Absolute minimum are cpl/ir and a320 rating....
http://www.aviationjobsearch.com/employer.asp?employerid=1140&vacID=63329

manuelvi
16th Feb 2007, 14:14
Hi all.
Does anyone have any info about air malta's status of pilots selections?
There was an opening till end of december, did some of you has been called? do you know anything about their selections?

thanks to everyboy

MV

skylog
16th Feb 2007, 17:18
Are you referring to the call of applications for pilots with type submitted on flight international or for the call of applications for cadet pilots open only to maltese nationals??

manuelvi
16th Feb 2007, 17:20
Sorry if i was imprecise.
Yes i am referring on the rated on 320 opening published eather on flight global and on their home page.

MV

skylog
16th Feb 2007, 17:51
Im more informed regarding the cadet applications ,however regarding the type one ,all those that had to be called 12 in all have commenced,its a 2 year contract,based in malta with the option of returning to the uk after a while.

manuelvi
16th Feb 2007, 17:54
Thank you, so there is no more need of pilots there as i understand..
cheers.

PS: on the advertise i have seen they were looking for two bases in england...

skylog
16th Feb 2007, 18:03
As far as i know but dont take my word for it ,however i think a new call came out for applications regarding 2 bases(one of them BHX),Most of the recruits came from the GECAT & CTC programmes.

manuelvi
16th Feb 2007, 18:15
Ok, yes this is it and do you know if they are still recruiting for these bases?
sorry for all these questions but i'm very interested in air malta:) :)

thank you for your support

cheers

Xelcia
24th Feb 2007, 00:49
Hello All,

I was hoping someone out there might be able to post some info on
the assessment with Air Malta, I am due for an interview with them at
London Heathrow on the 11th of March and any info regarding the
assessment would be very helpful! (Sim Profile, Tech Q's, Interview, etc)

Thank 4 the time,

Xelcia ;)

Gattaca
24th Feb 2007, 14:24
If you are experienced on the A320:-

A sim ride at GECAT which will also be your Rating renewal with a TRI/TRE and a very straightforward interview with Chief Pilot or GMFO.

If you are typerated but not experienced on the A320 :-

If you come from GECAT,interview plus sim ride at the Gatwick facility,if you have already done the psycometric test at GECAT this is valid for Airmalta if not you will be asked to sit for one.

PM me if you have any additional questions regarding pay conditions etc

Fly Ginger
28th Feb 2007, 08:01
hi, would be interested to know your background (hours, type etc...). Probably sounds a bit cheeky but just interested. Pm if you like.:)

green-dot-speed
28th Feb 2007, 10:22
Best way to apply???
thanx guys

SinBin
28th Feb 2007, 13:47
Rumours afloat, recent GECAT 'cadets' got paid £12 a day at Air Malta, until you got 80 hours, however getting the 80 hours is taking a lifetime as they've been told to go back home to the UK and are still waiting to go back some since Xmas. If you're going to GECAT as I am, be wary of this deal at the end. All a little bit strange, pay is low I hear.

Bad Robot
28th Feb 2007, 14:22
What happened to the £38K plus, for F/O's that they advertised last year then?:confused:

BR.

SinBin
28th Feb 2007, 14:32
No idea, all sounds a little dodge if you ask me!

Fly Ginger
1st Mar 2007, 07:55
there is, to be fair some truth in what you are saying. However, there are also reasons why these things have happened. The major one which is lack of training captains is being addressed right now.

Do your homework......... pm me if you wish

SinBin
1st Mar 2007, 09:45
I stand corrected, as I said, this was a rumour, so one for the rumour network?!

Is the situation improving for you guys?

Fly Ginger
1st Mar 2007, 11:16
Well said sir.........

To be fair sin bin, you are right, this is a rumour network!!!!
I think that there is light at the end of the tunnel..... i think we all didn't know just how long the tunnel was. Chatting to friends at other employers it could also be said that the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

I keep telling myself that anyway.............

Just remember.................... fly ginger

Jetset320
17th Mar 2007, 19:14
Salaries for new recruits based in Malta are considerably lower than the above, however you have to consider living costs being comparably lower etc

Not too sure about your statement on the cost-of-living here in Malta. Apart from (perhaps) rent, everyday cost-of-living here is much the same as UK, in many cases more expensive. At any rate, the cost of living in Malta is certainly not 100% less than UK........

the bald eagle
18th Mar 2007, 01:23
Guys and Gals

You might be intrested to see another thread on the Air Malta topic in the interview jobs/sponsorship section under Air Malta abinitio sponsorship vacancies thread

I must warn you (what looks like 2 KM pilots) tell the truth on what its like to be a KM driver...it don't look to good :{ but thats why we all enjoy prune...have a read and chuck your thoughts at us.:)

Arrowhead
18th Mar 2007, 02:49
FYI I spoke to the Chief Pilot a few months ago when the ad first came out for the UK BRS/BHX FO positions. He said it is a summer contract which is renewed every year (or at least has been for a long time in the past), so no flying in the winter. Meanwhile he said it is a separate operation from Air Malta (Malta), and therefore there was no route to command or possibility to transfer to the main airline. So if you just want a temporary contract for the summer, fine. If not, avoid.