PDA

View Full Version : Coastal Aviation Tanzania

RICCARDOVOLANTE
17th Feb 2005, 19:35
DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHINK ABOUT COASTAL AIRLINE IN DAR TANZANIA?

cpt hamna sheeda
18th Feb 2005, 08:20
Sent a PM with your questions.

flyhardmo
20th Feb 2005, 06:52
i worked for coastal..PM me for details

Coleman Myers
20th Feb 2005, 07:24
They operate into Mwanza occasionally don't they ?. I remember two lunatics from Zim who used to work there and they loved doing the Zanzibar run ... I can think of worse places to be than DAR flying gap year girls around :E !.

Zenj
20th Feb 2005, 21:23
Hi

Yes I know Coastal Travels, one of the most successful commuter companies in Tanzania, I know several of their pilot's including their Chief Pilot Capt Aziz.

What else you want to know ?

Zenj

RICCARDOVOLANTE
21st Feb 2005, 06:40
Thank you for your Rply Zenj.
Sincerely
Riccardo Volante

406pilot
21st Feb 2005, 13:49
oh send me a pm..send me a pm...send me a pm..

why do u fellows presumably men,cant be man enough to talk about this so called "most sucessful commuter companies in Tanzania" in the open,to help another illegal mzungu pilot to get a job in this country....bitter huh? thats wht truth tastes like.

keep it up there fellows,

no more 406pilot

flyhardmo
21st Feb 2005, 13:59
come on 406
you know what the situation is like. If i had to post everything about coastal half the things i would say about some of the people there would be illegal in 90% of the world. Otherwise Type out your name and tell us all about your good mates at ATC and what you think of em :E
the guy wants info i gave him the truth.

RICCARDOVOLANTE
21st Feb 2005, 17:00
I would like to say thank you to everbody that helped me on having info about Costal.
My question was non intended to create any conflict between you guys , but just info to help a pilot with a family like me that needs to know more about the job that has been offered.
I have been a bush pilot in Africa ,single without worry with the expetion of my self,but now I need to move very carefully.
I hope that you guys understand my situation.
Thank you
Riccardo Volante

MungoP
21st Feb 2005, 17:08
I'm also in the process of applying to Costal....it is a bit frustrating to know that there are pitfalls out there that are only being pm'd....moving to a new employer is risky enough without feeling that I'm staggering around in the dark...with elephant traps dug ahead of me...
Without being too explicit maybe some of you could at least offer a few hints as to any hiccups associated with the company...:ok:
thanks guys....

SIMBA KALI
21st Feb 2005, 17:39
Well, I will work for bread and water but need not to p.m you for info. Wat is the catch for me to extort information about this "most succesful" airline from you? :E I see this forum as a discussion focus group, with intelligent and exceptional individuals. Please shed some light about coastal so that we can all learn.

Solid Rust Twotter
21st Feb 2005, 17:39
Darn! Thought it was about ribs....

ShenziRubani
21st Feb 2005, 19:30
406rubani, come'on dude. It is the economy of our industry that does that. local airlines all over the World will always look for cheaper pilots and a lot of wazungus have the licence and are ready to take the job for less, just to try something else and add a valuable experience to their licenses. they always leave in the end, and leave the seats available to locals, but darn the operators, they'll always look for the cheap young ones.

I agree with FlyhardMo, he could post openly here. There are things you cannot always post, unless you have left the company in very very bad terms. Look at me: I have left the Greek in the worst conditions, and still, although I don't hide my feelings towards him, I have never criticized his company or the job there on this forum. Even advised guys in need of hours to go take it.

It's ethical Bwana.

On the other end, it is our duty on this forum to give advices and as much infos as possible to other ndugu pilots who need them. One's experience, good or bad, is always good for others.
Sasa mzee, hatuna shida hapa. Kazi tuu, kama kawaida.

Mo! what's up bud? Hope you're logging those hours. Where too next? Have you tried Zimex? Best salaams, chris

cpt hamna sheeda
22nd Feb 2005, 09:58
Coastal (at least 5 years ago) was a company manged by a swedish woman with no idea of aviation at all, she has the position just because she is white. The italian owner, well the italian owner seems to be brought up in the better mafia traditions and he acts like it.

For me it was 7 days a week standby 500us a month including housing. That meant 1,5 months work to earn back the money paid to Mr Mw. from the DCA to get my TZ licence. I was paid in time every month but still felt happy to hold the money in my hands.

Everyday you hear that you only cost money (with 4 to 6 flights a day i earned my salary back in 2 days i guess)and a bad pilot (i never had 1 scratch on my plane), this was said to you by the swedish woman with no idea of flying. In the same months when i left 4 other pilots left just because the situation was unbearable. but this was all 5 yrs ago.

The positive; the local employees were all very friendly and helpfull, so is cpt Aziz a friendly and competent chief pilot. The country is beautifull and was the best flying i did so far.

It is shame that Tanzanian operators (excluded Northern Air) seem to think that this is the correct way to run a company.

kwa heri to all.

406pilot
22nd Feb 2005, 12:06
Now thats the kind of reaction i was looking for..hats off to u capt.hamna sheeda....

by the way 5 years might seem like a long time but things dont change much in this part of the world...i.e same **** different day bwana

go ahead mo' and chris if ur gonna say something say it over here or forever hold ur silence boys(i was gonna say men-but only one guy is man enought to say it in the forum)

Nasty as it may seem to riccardo we're all friends and we know each other well so fear not of any conflict but i do encourage the boys to stand up and speak the truth so that more people wont face the music

keep it up there

no more 406pilot

ps:mo'dont u think my identity is pretty darn obvious to all? after all i do have a huge personality

ShenziRubani
22nd Feb 2005, 15:29
:D :D :D 406 you will never change!
I agree with you and have the same opinion regarding those companies in TZ (except Northern Air) but it is difficult to bash too much on them. After dealing with the management and the low pay of Coastal, or Air Excel, we still had a very positive experience, adding hours like crazy and flying in an amazing country and building a very good experience (it's not in France or Illinois that one would hit a giraffe on takeoff!!).
I respect Mo's decision to give advices to Flying Riccardo by pm though.

LOL :ok: - chris

flyhardmo
22nd Feb 2005, 17:05
ps:mo'dont u think my identity is pretty darn obvious to all? after all i do have a huge personality

and a hugh jazz bwana :}

I still work in this country and the aviation here is so full of ****e that it always comes back and i can't be bothered with crap, actually happy where i am.
the same lady described above is still at the Helm. Everyone else is quite pleasant to work with and the flying is good. I left on fairly good terms but they stillsay things like your are a ****ty pilot from someone with a PPL. Fortunately there are people in the other companies who hire you based on how you fly.

Chris i moved to greener pastures. Having good fun in the 404 doing beat ups at sero. Twotter is next. How are u doin.

Riccardo there is no problem with 406. I know him well. he likes a wind up. i'll just shove some alcahol and meat down his throat next time i see him:E

Zenj
22nd Feb 2005, 17:31
Hi,

The heading here is referred as Coastal Airlines, it's not an airline but a charter company as we call it here in Tz or in some places you can call it a commuter company.

Yes it is successful in a sense that It's one of the leading paymasters in Dar ( Arusha ... not aware but other companies seem to be better in Northern Circuit than Coastal ) in pilot salaries.

It has better pay then Precision Air and Air Tanzania , the two only airlines in Tanzania, it has several ex-airline pilot's who are very experienced and have turned down offers from those airlines to go and command ATR-42's and B737.

Now what else can I comment here as far as a Pilot is concerned, if the lady who does not know aviation run's it , do we care ? as long as the pay is nicer and better than places where the guys who run the air companies are having masters in aviation management but think pilot's are as same as anybody else in the company and end up creating a lousy place for pilot's and get even happier if pilot's decide to leave the company.

They could be some problems like any other place, there could be also some funny pay for those who have just come out of a flying school, I'm not aware of that but I do not rule out that in any company here in this part of Africa.

We know a lot of guys who have come here with 200 hours and were ready to fly even without a pay, for the sake of getting flying hours, but in reality if you were in the same situation and there were no choices what will you do ?

I stand to be corrected

Zenj

cpt hamna sheeda
22nd Feb 2005, 18:21
What about the belgium pilot (A's boyfriend), is he still acting like a chief-pilot overthere. Does he still own his plane?

SIMBA KALI
22nd Feb 2005, 19:33
He he wenzangu,
Is it the little cat is out of the bag or call a spade a spade and not a big ass wooden spoon? Coastal Charters /Airlines, watever it is seems to be doing wat anyother will do for rookies. Pay them a nickel and work their asses off like mules,****y management etc
:E . The thing is let us not be secretive about this staff,lets help each other out. Am heading to Kenya , anyone with info about ALS or Blue Bird Aviation pse give me aheads up. Nitashukuru:ok:
The first crate of tusker and a rack of murura is on me. :)

406pilot
23rd Feb 2005, 13:58
for Zenj:

interesting theory u got there my friend correct me if i am wrong in understanding ur comments...according to you the company in question is a leading company because its amongst the leading paymasters in the country? whatever happened to safety,on time departures,and customer satisfaction?
It seems to me we are either not talking about the same company or you have only seen wht meets the naked eye...

For:chris & mo'

see guys its difficult to improve on perfection thats one of the reasons i havent changed but by mr.zenj's column you can clearly see the need to shout out your stories..

keep it up there fellows

no more 406pilots

ps:no offence meant to mr.Zenj but do you come from a commuter background yourself?

lone Falcon
23rd Feb 2005, 17:46
Hmm,

Interesting thread.

Simba Kali,

Try out AIRKENYA. its a better option if youre from Nairoberry.

Mr Zenj

Why is it that I get a feeling you are one of the 737 drivers who is ready to light a rocket towards a caravan ? :ok:

I think when it comes to flying most of us, who have flown a 206 at least, do care for safety and some class makes us profesional.

Money is something everyone needs, and if needs are not met we all know what comes next.

from this thread I get a feeling that Coastal pay very good, but make you work hard for what you earn...... 406 correct me please.

:ok: LF

GUSTO
24th Feb 2005, 08:24
Well Guys ,

I know the sweedish woman very well that runs coastal as she is my friend.

First as you all know in TANZANIA or any African country it is difficult to get respect from men when you are a woman and have a high up position , so this might explain why she is sometimes hard . Secondly , it is very easy to send free critics but she has built this charter company almost herself so if she did not know anything about aviation she will not be running the biggest and most sucessfull charter company in east africa ( may be Africa ) If you are interested give a call to Cesnna in the US and ask for the best caravans operators in the world , coastal is in the list.

cpt hamna sheeda , a bad pilot is not a pilot who specially crash plane or dammage them , it is more like you someone with a BAD attitude.

RICCARDOVOLANTE ,

If you have an opportunity to fly for Coastal go for it , experience is very good , the country is lovely and the salary is great .

Gusto

cpt hamna sheeda
24th Feb 2005, 13:02
With friends like that, ..........

406pilot
24th Feb 2005, 13:14
hey fellows...

c'mon gusto u got ur dream job now u dont have to be nice to her anymore??

i still keep urge the damn guys who refer to stay in pm's 2 shout out their reviews...

"the truth is out there"

keep it up there fellows

no more 406pilot

ps: respect to women thats a new one from gusto did that momma look-alike gf of urs teach u that???

kiwifly
24th Feb 2005, 14:12
Hey Gusto you Clown. If that Swedish Cow is your friend then you must be a really "Sad Bastard". Cpt Hamna Sheeda is right on the money about her. She is a complete control freak. I worked for the Bitch for a number of years...her nick name was the smiling knife...so work it out Buddy!

As for that Belgium Tosser (Yogi)...those two belong together.

Cheers Captain Hamna Sheeda (our nightmare is over)

406pilot
24th Feb 2005, 14:19
well said kiwifly.....

more men amognst boys...go on mo' and chris eat ur hearts out boys

no more 406pilot

lone Falcon
24th Feb 2005, 15:25
:)

this is good, keep it rolling heheheheheh.............

ShenziRubani
24th Feb 2005, 16:16
Well well well. I really didn't want to get into this one and I still would not wanna go too much in details. I understand Cpt Hama sheeda and Kiwifly, and I also understand Gusto's because he is a friend to Anna and Vincent.

I would not consider myself really a friend of Anna and Vincent, but I have know Anna for many years and have always been in good and friendly terms with her.
Because sometimes long ago, many many years before even Gusto or Juliettepapa step foot in East Africa I had a very short "personal relationship" with her :mad: I do not wish to make any comments on whether she is bad or not. I am still in good terms with them and I respect her work.
What I do not like, what I do not respect, is that like Anna's other best friend, the Mighty greek of Arusha, as soon as a pilot leaves them or does not want to come back to work for them, they justify this by criticising and bull****ting on him like old women, trying to build him a bad reputation. Unfortunately, it is a small word down there in the aviation world of Arusha and Dar and those operators have come to believe that they can make or brake a pilot, or the world itself. Fortunately they are bull****ting themselves and a handfull of pilot-believers they have managed to convert.

I have also been involved in business with Coastal before I was myself a pilot and I disagree, it is not the best air operation in East Africa and surely not in Africa. They almost came under in the late 90's because they were greedy taking every business possible and they only exist today because the owner has many other businesses and always finds a way to get money from the banks. They're back in the positive, but their operations is not the best. Coastal is know for taking more business than it can operate and having to sub-charter other planes at loss. They are bad with keeping time on their schedule and even on their charter business. The owner, Nicolas, has managed to score a few good contract with the mines, with great mark-ups, and as long as he keeps that going, he can lose on the rest, he's fine.

I respect Anna's work but I will never work for her. Even if the hours are great (and I love the flying in Southern Tanzania) I would never. But I am in a different situation now, I am now hungry for hours anymore, and I think I should be paid a fair salary, comparable to what pilots with my hours get.

I would work for Northern air and Regional Air in a heart bit although I know that they have had disappointed/unhappy pilots too.

As for the best company to work for in Tanzania, I will stick to Northern Air and Nomads. The pay is very correct, the hours are good and those companies are not in the "hyena price fight" that Air Excel, Coastal, Zanair, Regional and others are living everyday. I can tell you, I have been involved with the management of Air Excel, the life these people are living is unhealthy. Spending 20 hours of their days worrying about competition and how to beat them and leave them dying in the mud. Hey, but that's why I'm not a aviation business owner in Tanzania :8

So, we go back to the old discussion we had about Air Excel a few months ago: do you need hours? do you need a job right now? do you need to get a pay? Get the job, go to Coastal and make your opinion on your own, and later decide if you want to stay, or have enough hours to bugger off. It is worth it if you have nothing else planned.

406pilot, you know I didn't want to comment anything, you shenzi rubani!!

406pilot
24th Feb 2005, 17:26
hmmm let it out bro all of it,i know u got more in you buddy...

"406pilot-1 shenzi rubani-0"

what can i say man when ur good your gud man i knew sooner or later you were gonna spit it out....mo' ur up next i know u got it in you ...

no more 406pilot

ps:karibu rjs bbq 2moro???

Carrier
25th Feb 2005, 12:03
Some clarification please:

Are Coastal Airline, Coastal Travels and Coastal Express the same operation or are they different operations?

Who is Nicola and who is Anna, or are they one and the same?

What is the present make up of Coastal’s (one or all of them!) fleet(s)?

Thanks.

flyhardmo
25th Feb 2005, 12:42
Gusto your a nugget. I bet if this post was about the greek you would never defend him. By the way was really nice how coastal offered youa job after you walked away from the greek. Great friends aye. It wasnt her that brought that company up it was the outside the box thinking and very exciting uncle Nicola. If anything the company's growth has been restricted by some personal interest in someone else's aircraft and fear of switching over to automation. To answer Carrier Nicola is the owner Anna is a shareholder Gm of the aviation side of coastal Travels called Coastal Aviation, No such thing as Coastal Express.

406 i wont be suckered ive said what i had to say, so go to RJS's party and get pissed,I'm sure a showdown will happen between said parties one day then you'll hear about it.. i'll be down on Sunday.
I wont work for them again thats all i can say... Pay might be ok but you never get time to spend it then when you do they make your life hell.

406pilot
25th Feb 2005, 13:42
FOR ZENJ:

if costal is such a nice company how comes everyone who has left it "never" wants to go back to it??

FOR MO'

FOR ZENJ:
if costal is such a nice company how comes everyone who has left it "never" wants to go back to it??

FOR MO\'
well said buddy,a bit on the diplomatic side but but all the same at least you found the courage in you to spit out the truth...will miss that salad of urs 2nite buddy.

FOR CARRIER:
coastal express was rumoured as an alliance between coastal travel and air express but thatss all i heard about it

no more 406pilot

SIMBA KALI
25th Feb 2005, 15:20
Kudos to the few brave men for "spitting" it out. :ok: Am just surprised no one parked the caravan some where in the jungle and left with its keys:E Means we got some very tolerant folks , as for me I might have to reconsider fishing for a gig with them after all. Sounds like my plans for Nairobi will work just fine for me. Keep it rolling guyz, atleast I learnt something today. Wenzangu shukrani:D

ShenziRubani
25th Feb 2005, 15:51
:D Happy weekend to all. 406Panda Bear, hope you clean the JD's at the party. It's easier to fly the sim when you're hungover, I've tried. no fear of falling off the sky.

good ol'Africa! Our home forever!! mmmmh, weekend - back to my snowboarding !!

My names Turkish
26th Feb 2005, 19:02
Shenzirubani, Check your Private Messages.

GUSTO
2nd Mar 2005, 06:30
Clown or nugget , well neither of the above .......

I love comments of people that don't know of what they are talking about .

For your info Mo I have nothing against Mike , he can be difficult in the cockpit and when you work for him , but otherwise he is fine. He actually offered me my job back in JAN04 .

406 you 're also not in your shoes man , the friends of mine also offered me a job , but at the time I was not too keen to stay in HTDA so I went west.

Kiwifly No wonder why you got a problem with Anna your posts just reflect your personality and I am sure that in any small charter company a guy like you will not stay long before being kicked out. Get a life man all I can say....

ShenziRubani
2nd Mar 2005, 13:01
Hey Mzungu Chafu, are you who I think you are??! Welcome Masta!
Well, I don't want to get in that debate, but yes, the Greek is not fine. real shenzi mbwa. But we know enough already, no need to try to sell our opinion on this. Let his defenders, the 2 or 3 on this forum talk about it if they need to justify their views. I don't.
LOL

Yes ! I wonder if he is who you think he is ???, and by the way NO he is not welcome !!

Jetdriver
2nd Mar 2005, 13:43
Please remember that registering new usernames in order to violate the site rules will likely result in the loss of access to these forums !!

SIMBA KALI
2nd Mar 2005, 13:57
Gusto....just curious,
Wat special treatment did you get in Coastal? You seem to much on the defense. A shenzi mzungu is not welcome at all, cross over into Kenya you will know what I mean. :(

cpt hamna sheeda
2nd Mar 2005, 14:52
Yeah Gusto, what's your deal with Anna.
Calling me a pilot with a bad attitude without even knowing me.

Paul

406pilot
2nd Mar 2005, 16:28
well well well gusto see the price u gotta pay for being nice to ...hmm "not so nice people"
For the records i have never crossed paths with any of the said characters,and if God almighty and my skills allow me to pass the sim trg thn probably never will...

no more 406pilot

ps:to the moderator gusto has always been gusto, he might be the most chafu mzungu around but he is still gusto...right uncle oli?

ShenziRubani
2nd Mar 2005, 21:16
Cpt Hamna Sheeda, Simba Kali, I don't think Gusto had anything really to do with A. He is very good friend with her husband and her and I guess, decided to defend them , as well as the Greek, on this thread where some of us have a different opinion about them.
I don't think he is trying to attack any one here, just trying to help his friends.
Although I disagree with him on some things, I think he's just voicing his own opinion and not trying to convince anyone. It would be hard to convince some here, anyway. :ok:

GUSTO
3rd Mar 2005, 02:19
Well Guys I think Shenzi has said all for me , I have no direct interest in coastal but Ann and Vin are my friends , they have always been Very nice to me . Ask Juliette Papa what he thinks of them as well and how he end up in TZ , etc .... and now flies a A320 ....

406 I do not really care of what other people think of me , I am myself and will remain myself , fortunately in life peolpe have different views , friends , ideas , interests , etc ....

Well I still buy you a drink next time I am in HTDA or FAJS .

All fly safely

Gusto

Renaissance
3rd Mar 2005, 14:47
Did you get your reply Dimitri? Or was it recardo?

cpt hamna sheeda
3rd Mar 2005, 15:59
No offence taken Gusto, I know JP I saw him come to TZ and saw him leave again to Gabon. I don't think he thanks his Gulf Air job to Mama Kelele or the Greek God (as we used to call them). Next time when you are in Dar go to the restaurant upstairs, eat some greasy chips and talk to the local guys how things are. Maybe you get a different opinion on Coastal.

Anyway to all you guys enjoy the TZ flying and happy landings.

Paul

PS who is the 206 jockey who tackled the twiga at Kiba?

ShenziRubani
3rd Mar 2005, 21:38
eeeer, why you need to buy him a beer? :cool:

406pilot
4th Mar 2005, 03:51
hi capt hs....

u got ur facts right buddy,except for the 206 jockey that tackled the twiga at kiba....i have good reason to believe that the twiga actually tackeled him .....correct e if im wrong shenzi?

no more 406pilot,

ps:chris hey id love to hear abt that so-called fling u had with A.....even if its in pm

ShenziRubani
5th Mar 2005, 06:36
I'm married now!!!
check your pm's soon.

406pilot
7th Mar 2005, 08:33
hey chris so am i but that doesn't stop me from spitting out the truth....

hey guys guess wht this column has just made it to 4 pages....whether coastal is a gr8 company or the "best commutter company in africa" remains a mystery but it has filled 4 pages of comments so its definately the most popular one on pprune.....

no more 406pilot

SIMBA KALI
7th Mar 2005, 13:58
Shenzi rubani,
Do you think "savior" Gusto's comments will change Coastal's rap sheet...I guess not!! Just because of being "good friends" with the Greek god and Anna doesn't mean he has to sugarcoat the dirty deeds. Hell....am I good friends with Anna too.:} Thing is , kuwasiliana kuhusu hali ya kazi ni jambo muhimu sana..

ShenziRubani
7th Mar 2005, 19:12
SIMBA KALI, kweli umemaliza chupa ya Tabasco ou nini!! ;) Nakubaliana na wewe na kila mtu hapa anajua kwamba ile shenzi Giriki na A hawaheshimiki TZ. Sipendi wanavyofanya kazi, lakini naelewa Gusto anawalinda rafiki zake, which is normal. Nakubaliana na wewe ni muhimu kusema ukweli ili kuwasaidia marubani zote hapa.

Lakini, Gusto is a friend and I respect his opinion and the fact that he is sticking to it. We can all have opposite opinions on thing, as long as we respect each other and don't try to scr@w eahc other, it is ok to disagree. Si ndio

:)

RICCARDOVOLANTE
8th Mar 2005, 14:05
Dear fellow thank you for the nice attitude of Air excell and the band of the management of Costal I did not get Hire .
I dont know what to say more .I can not belive what tragedy is .I never met people so .......they DO NOT CARE IF PERSON HAVE FAMILY OR NOT For any one that want to apply at those company please do not do it.
Sincerely
RICCARDO VOLANTE

ShenziRubani
8th Mar 2005, 17:52
Sorry for you Due, but don't worry, you'll find something better, for sure. No, of course they don't care, they only neeed to find some desesperate hungry slave who can do 12 hrs a day, every day of the week, every week of the month. Ha yes, they would give you a day off every month, they're quite kind.

Pole sana Bwana, lakini usijali, utapata kazi. baado kidogo!

SIMBA KALI
10th Mar 2005, 15:52
Hi Fella Ricardo,
In the Africa plains, there needs one who has alot of humility and patience. Welcome to Mother Africa, ain't nothing too easy down there. But good luck in the black continent, don't give up. Thought of crossing over into Kenya ? Good flying, nice chics, beers and lots of fun.

Hey shenzi rubani,
I just burnt my guts on on that tobasco sauce, I need to be hunting down any mexican on site. Any way, all these texas tomales are up for grabs. Take care.

Coleman Myers
10th Mar 2005, 17:55
406 - sounds like you have had a hard time of it ....

Renaissance
11th Mar 2005, 14:15
SIMBA KALI,

I am just curious, Are you presently in Kenya, or have you been in the past few years involved with flying?

I doubt Riccardo Volante will have an easier time in Kenya. Especially when he walks to the KCAA an has to deal with the licensing personnel. They tend to see the devil in foreigners, people who need to be stopped at all cost. Black, white, brown, green or a mixture of all those doesn't make a difference. In fact... Even those born in Nairobi, with big families in Nairobi and Kirinyaga, who speak Kikuyu and are named Kamau or Njoroge, have problems if they happened to stay abroad for a number of years and came back with say an American passport. After holding a whole conversation in the language, they would tell you as a forigner they can't help you

SIMBA KALI
11th Mar 2005, 16:32
Rennaisance , yes am a kenyan but not back there yet. I have been in and out a couple of times every year and know exactly wat you are talking about. ...give those fat cats of KCAA $$$ and the doors will open so wide open, thats the way it works down there when you slp them with FAA documents. N-way, countless pilots in kenya have initial FAA training and thats why they are now easying on conversion.....with an ATP, all you do is sit for an Air Law exam and thats it.

For Ricardo, you need someone that you know in Kenya to assist you. There are back doors...eh....alot but arm yourself with some $$$ for them to open. :ok:

406pilot
12th Mar 2005, 05:57
hi there mr.coleman myers

yeah it certainly looks like i had a hard time but as u can see i am contantly urging other to tell their tales which should probably mean i havfent got any tales iand thats the truth of the matter...honestly i have never worked for them or locked horns for that matter...but my ears were getting tired of hearing their stories almost everyday from fellow pilots so thats why i thought of helping other prospective tz wanna bees

no more 406pilot

Renaissance
12th Mar 2005, 12:32
SIMBA KALI, your people were so upset with that system, that they voted KANU out. They are aslo fed up with the current regime because nothing is being done to end TKK. John Githongo tried and gave up. Why would you advocate it on this forum?

Anyway money is not the point. Generally there is a "we don't want foreigners here" attitude. So even if you paid, got yourself sorted and wanted to enjoy flying with Kenyans young and old, you'd have a hard time.

On a more positive note you are better off coming back with the FAA ATPL. I know cats who spent years trying to convert their FAA CPL's. There have been some firings at the KCAA, so now you can generally trust results are genuine. But some people won't let go of the old system and hit the books. They pull out their wallets instead. I personally doubt anyone who sat for ATP exams in Kenya in the past few years passed genuinely, ie without paying. That being said I am sure many have been failed even if they made the pass mark, so resorted to paying, because no matter how well they knew their stuff they were failed.

The Performance A exams are another example of this.... Anyway I am getting away from the point. Riccardo should be prepared for an interesting time here.

406, when do you head down?

406pilot
12th Mar 2005, 16:40
hi there rennaisance,

406 headed down south 2morro

"hopefully".......

please please people, well wishers and all others remember me in ur prayers....something inside me tells me im gonna need a lot of help from the guy in control overhead....

he he he butterflys in me stomach....

no more 406pilot

SIMBA KALI
17th Mar 2005, 15:24
Hey Rennaisance,
I took a look at two guys who came down there, say a couple of years ago. Well, you very well know that in Kenya nothing works without $$$ talk. Comeon....am being very honest here. Ooops...about Githogo, just a pin out of a hay stark. Can't battle those Kanu men who got recycled through Narc. The best advice is, alwayz have your $$$ before knocking at KCAA doors. Hell, I will do it myself.TKK being there even before I was born for sure won't end overnight:E It is worthwhile but am not an advoacte for it. And the other thing don't want to end up like man Githongo.

sneakykiwi
17th Mar 2006, 20:58
Hi guys and girls.

Can anyone tell me what Coastal Aviation in Tanzania is flying at the momment and how many of each type? C208's and C404 is all I have so far.

Thanks

Soap Box Cowboy
18th Mar 2006, 15:59
Current fleet consists of one PC-12 with own pilot, seven C208's plus one on order and one more under their liscence with it's own pilot. Three 206's one privatly owned 404 flown by the owner under their liscence. One PA-34 currently in Nairobi for Maintenance flown by a pilot seperate from coastal.

ilbizza
18th Mar 2006, 17:06
I've experience on cessna caravan operated bush do i have any sort of chance to be hired somewhere like coastal aviation¿¿¿??thanks

cpt hamna sheeda
20th Mar 2006, 15:33
When i left in 2000 they only had 1 206, 1 caravan a seneca a 404 and 1 172 and totally complaining about bad bussiness... what do they fly now that they are on a avarage of buying 1 C208 each year and and topping it off with a PC12???? Are there thet many tourists and hunters nowadays?

Soap Box Cowboy
20th Mar 2006, 19:54
Ilbizza: How much experience do you have. Coastal is looking for Van drivers and about 2000 hours would be good, with Van time being an advantage. P1 time is also important since they are all flown single pilot.

Tourism in Tanzania has been growing strong. People are now more intrested in having that special Safari experience that Tanzania offers and that Coastal aims at.

Also demands for higher quality have forced some low end operators out of the mainstream market since sloppyness is no longer acceptable to many.

Coastal has been focusing on the middle and upper end of the tourist market, also supporting hunting operations in the country during hunting season. But most work still goes to supporting a network to destinations that most operators don't operate too like Mafia and Kilwa.

A large comon fleet of 208's has allowed reduced operating cost and fleet cominality. It may not be the fasted or the most STOL but it fits in nicely with our type of operations and allows us a wide range of diversity.

On the whole the tourism industry in Tanzania is on the up and many operators are reaping the benefits. Hopefully things will remain as such for a long time to come.

The PC-12 has been around for several years now, we used to have two of them on lease. Of the two 172's 5H-FUN was sold a couple of years ago and 5H-BIG is slowly being rebuilt for the persoanl use of the owner.

cpt hamna sheeda
20th Mar 2006, 21:21
So ol´ Nicola is still flying as well;) ....

Bob3213
21st Mar 2006, 12:11
Soap Box Cowboy, I have 1600TT, but not ratings on any of the planes that Coastal is operating. I'm willing to pay for my own rating on which ever they'd like me to. Shall I do a C208 rating now and then contact them, or do I stand a better chance getting a job there and then do the rating on my expense?

Soap Box Cowboy
21st Mar 2006, 13:57
BOB3213: Best you go down to TZ and talk to Anna who is the general manager and Captain Aziz who is the chief pilot, and get a feel for what the company is like before you spend your money on the rating.

Coastal does a lot of training in house with a dedicated training captain on staff. If you do get in and get accepted on the van you would be doing about 100-140 hours of flying and training before you would be released. So might be intresting to get on the 206 and earn some money whilst training on the van at the same time.

If your keen head down there and give it a shot. They are looking for motivated dedicated people and once your in you will be flying loads around 90-100 hours a month on the van is not unusual. But best you head down and see first if it is what you want to get into.

Good luck :ok:

P68BRAVO
22nd Mar 2006, 20:07
BOB3213 stay out from Costal.Not good company to work for.Check in South Africa ,better pay and better Company to work for .At least the Director Operations are real Pilots not like in Coastal where Anna is the Direcor and she is not even a pilot.
Look out my friend search about costal in this forum and you will see.

CathayBrat
23rd Mar 2006, 09:00
Hmmmmmmm, this rant sounds familiar:hmm: Back onto the coastal slag-off!! Just for fun, lets add his other one, Air excel. Boooooooring:yuk: . SBC, you must be the coastal PR rep:E !!! Hows it going in the cold country? Watch out for the moose's:ok: Cheers buddy.

Soap Box Cowboy
24th Mar 2006, 20:36
I'm suprised it took so long for the slagging to start.

It's cold out here and snow is still covering everything. Going to a rodeo tonight and heading up North in about ten days.

Trying to bag a ride in a P-51, will be very cool if it works out :cool:

Other than that, the studying is dull, but nice to be here in civilization. Still having power cuts down there? Any rain shown up?

See you guys later :ok:

Get Iron nuts to mail me or send us his address.

flyingmasai
3rd Apr 2006, 10:55
I worked for them from 1995 to 1998 and did over 2000 hours for them.
They have been good to me. Some of my best flying so far.

Go for it!

Baron Von Mildred
9th Apr 2006, 23:41
Hi , i was in Dar in 96/97 looking for work. The DCa seemed a bit of an obstacle getting licenses converted. Can anyone advise about the current deal? I have UK CAA, FAA, Zambian.

CathayBrat
11th Apr 2006, 09:31
Baron,
TCAA has sorted out alot of their problems, now v easy. u have to take a conversion exam, combining law, met etc. Its on a computer, multi-guess, and the results are printed imediately u have finished. Get the law book from them, $20, its all in there. UK and US licences are fine. U also have to take the medical, get the address from TCAA, its walking distance. U also have to do a TTR on a plane, so u can do your initial flight test. Most do the C206, go to the airport and do 1 hr of T&G's. With all this paper now in hand, go back, pay the fee's and pick up your license abot 3 days later.:ok: Enjoy

Baron Von Mildred
11th Apr 2006, 21:19
Thanks Cathaybrat. What's the medical like in TZ. I did one in Zambia which took about 5 mins! The UK CAA are a bit tougher!

Also what are the prospects for a 2000hr-ish 43 year old pilot with wife & kids to support?

406pilot
13th Apr 2006, 08:56
karibu sana baron

hi, baron

thanks to me and a few other brave hearts that made the move to "bigger and better" the scene in GA looks very welcoming for everyone..
i mean come on guys if sbc made it so quickly on the van why cant anyone else mind you wearing gloves in the 34 degree heat takes some courage or the other stuff......

keep it up ther fellows,

no more 406pilot(its feel good to be back)

ps:the guy in question on your email is now flying atr at precision-tanzania's fines(one more let to crash...oops sorry i meant phase out)

Soap Box Cowboy
15th Apr 2006, 19:47
No gloves on the Van baby, damn thing is easier to fly than the 206. Been out of the loop for a couple of months but there should be a few jobs going in TZ. Now if we could only convince Nicola to get something else than anothe Van. Got to get me some twin time and Multi crew time.

Baron Von Mildred
17th Apr 2006, 21:06
Acsanti sana (not sure if thats spelt right) 406pilot.

How is remuneration normally done, i.e by the km/nm, by the hour, by the day/month in tz? How much do GA pilots normally make?

MrBurberry
17th Mar 2007, 18:16
Im sure a few people out here know a bit about Coastal, ie. Maintenece of A/C, Work Conditions, HOurs Required and Pay for either C206, or C208.

Any Current or Ex pilots with info would be a great help, thanks guys!

MB