PDA

View Full Version : Kinshasa, how is it now?

219joochiat
17th Mar 2006, 15:54
I was in Kinshasa back in 97 and stayed at the Memling. Haven't returned since.
Is there anyone who could share infos about the situation now in terms of lodging, hot spots to meet the "locals", and least but not last job hunting.
Is Waltair still in operations and do they still fly a caravelle?
And what about Filair, could not find many infos on the web about the guys....
Happy landings.

AirSDF
21st Mar 2006, 12:27
Hi

I have left Kinshasa 7 months ago
Forget Waltair, the Caravalle was doing one flight a week to MJM, and trying to steal the passengers of the others companies.
Filair has 1 or 2 brand new Let 410 (at least the paint is brand new) and still the Ant.
What else, Hewa Bora was looking for pilots for the B727, but you need to know someone in the company.
And do not try to fly for Wimbi Dira!!! Espacially on the 707

Good luck if you go back there.

CAA would be more interesting
They have received 2 MD81 from US, apparently there are doing good job and the salary is guaranted at the end of the month, something very rare in this country even in the national company!!!

219joochiat
22nd Mar 2006, 05:38
Thanks for the good infos SDF.
Where did you saty when in Kin?
Did you rent or share?
Are you still an SDF (French expression) ?

AirSDF
22nd Mar 2006, 14:49
Where did you saty when in Kin?
Did you rent or share?
Are you still an SDF (French expression) ?

I was in Ma Campagne first and then in La Gombe (Center on Justice Av) renting a small appartment which was a part of a friend's house.
Very expensive rent now if you want to be in the centre.
The Memling is still there..

Yes still a SDF, I am in Italia waiting to relocate wherever I find a job with a preference for Africa and Asia.

Are you gonna fly there?
Do you know already someone?

Captain Volmer
22nd Mar 2006, 14:58
AirSDF (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=89951) vbmenu_register("postmenu_2472092", true);
Could you ceck your PM.
Regards

european champion
22nd Mar 2006, 17:32
Anyone knows any low budget hotel or youth hostel in Kinshasa?i am thinking of moving there but from the search i made on the internet i cant find any accomodation at reasonable price,everything seems to be really expensive.

219joochiat
23rd Mar 2006, 09:09
Youth hostel???
You gotta to be kidding!!!
Is this a tourist destination??
Cheap hotel?
Yes , sure, plenty of them....
You pay by the hour, usually sharing the bed with a hot local, bit noisy though...

AirSDF
23rd Mar 2006, 09:34
You have the "Estorile" (from the Portugese town)
End of the Boulevard du 30 Juin, next to the train station!!
Be carefull it exists a disco with the same name, a place full of surprises!!!!!

KESHO
23rd Mar 2006, 09:39
European Champion- thats got to be one of the finer ones I have heard in a while!

There is nothing cheap in that part of the world! To get anything that you as a European would consider average you will have to fork out loads of $ per month. You will pay even more to have the luxuries of hot water, telephone, TV, Security etc.

For what reason do you think you should move to Kinshasa? I am trying to estabablish why as most times your employer assists in finding or even sometimes provides accomodation.

219joochiat- yeah papa belge jiggi jiggi??? Lol...

FToast
23rd Mar 2006, 10:17
Hi European champion,

Try the CAP (Centre d'Accueil Protestant), 20 USD per night when I was there in 1998, couldn't have changed too much. Not luxury but clean enough and you don't have to worry about leaving your suitcase in your room.

european champion
23rd Mar 2006, 15:05
Thanks for ur recommendations.Kesho i dont have any job offer so i have to pay my accomodation myself.The reason im going there is to look for work,i hope it will work out,if not it will be just a holiday,i hope it will not be too expensive.

south coast
23rd Mar 2006, 17:25
euro-champ...dont be a chomp...kinshasa is not just a place you turn up to and find work, and if not make it into a holiday!

have you ever experienced any kind of cities in africa?

they are not like a city in europe, kinshasa and the likes, will eat you up!

AirSDF
23rd Mar 2006, 19:20
100% agree with South Coast
I do not think going in Kinshasa would be a great Idea..
I repeat if you don't know anybody there, do not even think to find something.
Well to be more clear, you could find something, but forget the payment.
I know people who are still waiting thousands dollars which won't never come.
I speak about people who are captain on Boeing there.
In fact in this country everybody is waiting money from an ex-employer (I am one of them!!!).
You can't imagine what they invent to give you hope, a big smile in front, they even invite you for dinner, but do not trust anybody there!!!
I stayed 3 years there, I have flown for at least 5 differents companies from the King Air to the Boeing, I know most of the people and it is always the same story.!!
As long as they need you everything is beautifull, but who need a F/O without neither experience nor rating!!!

But if you are still decided, I just want to tell good luck.
Stories will start to get your visa (do not attempt to go there without one) and be sure you did the yellow fever vaccination.
Arriving at the airport, HMMM that's another story, and you are still at 40 km from the center with the worst road of the country in between!

Just an Idea, try to get some information of Tanzania, quite country and possiblities to get something without experience.
You would just fly Cessna , but it is already a begenning..

putt for dough
23rd Mar 2006, 19:40
European Champion:}

By the sounds of things, you wanna become the HIV champion.:yuk:

Be careful cuz!

Schweet...

european champion
23rd Mar 2006, 23:09
South coast u dont sound too positive.Yes i have been to a few cities in Africa .I believe that most big cities will try to eat up someone who is new and doesnt really know his way around but if i take extra care then it should work out ok.
Air sdf i am more interested to get multi turboprop or jet experience,i have a possibility to fly cessna in Europe but im taking a chance to go to Congo in search for something bigger,if it was to fly a cessna id rather stay in Europe,its just my personal preference.
Put for Dough thanks for ur warning but i have been to Africa before,i know how to take care,besides there are other countries in Africa like S.Africa,Uganda,Botswana who have the reputation of having more champions of HIV than Congo,i believe Congo is somewhere on the list below other countries and on the top list.

FToast
24th Mar 2006, 06:35
European Champion,

AirSDF and South Coast are trying to give you some advice and are not being negative but realistic. Without contacts you could get yourself in all sorts of trouble that will cost you money or time. Do you speak French?
On the flying side of things, as AirSDF said, you need contacts as well or you might end up flying a Cessna anyway but a real sh*tty one.
Why not try in countries where you'll have a great time experiencing the right sides of Africa: Botswana, Namibia, Zambia, Tanzania?

AirSDF
24th Mar 2006, 12:54
3 places where I would not go without contacts:
Lagos, Luanda and Kinshasa.
One of the main problem is that you arrive from Europe late in the evening, not easy for the first time!!!!
I could add Harare whith what is happening in this country!!!
I don't know about Tripoli and Karthum as well!!!

The Flying Circus
24th Mar 2006, 14:06
Kinshasa is the same ****hole than 10 years ago. Corrupt and brain dead from the top to bottom. Muzungos rather stay away!!!!

Every thing is bad ...very bad.
Anyone having a spare NUKE or two........?????:) :)

KESHO
24th Mar 2006, 14:19
European champion- I too would not recommend arriving in Kinshasa without any contacts.

I know you are wanting to get to Africa as it sounds like the place to be and experience. But like many have suggested already, it is best to start somewhere that is not quite so wild as Kinshasa.

I would rather take the Cessna job in Europe cause atleast you will be guaranteed to get your money at the end of the month and also live to spend it rather then flying a congolese maintained aircraft where every take-off is a risk. I do not know what your experience is, but if you are talking of flying Cessnas still it cannot be too much. Therefore, if you are also low on experience, it is not the kind of place you want to be learning the tricks of the trade, as in this part of the world experience is always learnt the harder way.

Pointless to give advice if your mind is already made up but, I hope you atleast can speak some french?

Bon voyage

KESHO

european champion
27th Mar 2006, 12:03
Is French really a must in that country,dont they understand english?well i just know the basic french'bonjour,voulez vous coucher avec moi',i guess it wont help me much for the job search but it can help in other situations.
I think the safest thing to do is to contact the Congolese embassy before going there,they might give me some recommendations and information about about places to stay and places to avoid.

policepilot
27th Mar 2006, 13:13
european champ, or is it chump. The above comments are from some well travelled, been there-done it guys. If you have no contract nor contact in the DRC, never mind Kinshasa,,, don't go. As for calling the Congolese embassy,, really! It's frikken expensive and life will be further complicated if you don't speak french.
I went, had a good time flying, worked for a well organised outfit, but best of all, in my top draw I had a ticket with my name on it to get out.

broottmeenoo
27th Mar 2006, 23:08
Euro Champ
Stop being so naive....
Just read the above comments.
You want to call the nearest Congolese embassy?
Sure , just do it and the consular officer there, who got his job by corrupting around him, will be more than happy to send you to his cousin's guest house to get some of his money back, aas you say "...places to stay and places to avoid".
If you don't speak French, tu vas te retrouver en slip avant tes premieres 24hrs dans le pays.
Your "voulez vous coucher avec moi" est completement inutile mec, tu es blanc, tu as du cash, qu'est ce que t'as besoin de dire??

napoleon
28th Mar 2006, 05:07
STAY AWAY......NO CONTACTS........... NO FRENCH....................BELIEVE YOU WILL GET A JOB ON A JET............................YOU ARE DREAMING MY FRIEND. ALL THAT WILL HAPPEN IS YOU WILL BE RAGGED, BAGGED AND SHAGGED BY THOSE PEOPLE. EVERYONE OF THEM IS LYING ALL THE TIME DAY AND NIGHT.

Stayinalive
28th Mar 2006, 20:36
Kinshasha....how is it now?...same as before....K%k!

stevef
29th Mar 2006, 20:18
The worst working year of my life was spent in Kinshasa (1994), admittedly as an aircraft engineer, not pilot. I was fortunate enough to work for a company that looked after their staff, both with wages and accommodation, but the lifestyle was terrible. Zaire, as it was then, was rancid with corruption, thievery and incompetence and I can't imagine it's improved any. My only good memories of the place are the Domino, Spikizi and departures lounge (!) at N'Djili. Listen out, man: it's one of the worst places in Africa to be. Don't count on proper maintenance either; you'll be at the blunt end of the indigenous servicing skills and it'll probably hurt.

Sorry, I've got nothing positive to say about the place. If you're determined to go, good luck: you'll need a lot of it...

:^(

hyenacackle
30th Mar 2006, 16:49
You have been warned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

I spent 2years on contract there for the United Nations and you are looking for trouble mate:}

hee hee hee hee

saywhat
30th Mar 2006, 17:20
Euro Champ, I don't know what rubbish these guys are talking. Kinshasa is a wonderful metropolitan city in a fabulous country. It is the home to Afro Disney, headquarters to the African space agency and boasts some of the finest accommodation at a very reasonable price.

If you will excuse me now, I must put my jacket on again, I'm only allowed out of my padded cell once a week for ten minutes!!

south coast
30th Mar 2006, 17:29
actually, i am going to change me view and agree with saywhat...i had some of the best days of my life there, the belgian/swimming pool of an afternoon, the vip, emprez vous, the piano bar, equinox and who could forget the new malibu!

the good doctor could never forget some of his patients there....set up a private little surgery there to practice his gaeney skills...

all of those who know the good doctor...

Cue Ball
30th Mar 2006, 19:05
Hey Euro Champ
I spent 2 years flying there in Kinshasa :ugh: and I would like to give you the best advice you could ever hope to receive about the place. Take yourself from the computer you are on right now and go back to your bedroom, lie on your bed and wait until that feeling that you have go to kinshasa goes away! I was working for the U.N there and we had life very easy compared to a lot of others and it was still very difficult. If you really want to come to africa there are much nicer and better places than the DRC. Try Namibia, Botwana or even Zambia. I'm sorry I don't know any companies in any of those countries but they generally do have jobs for low timers. My second piece of advice is stick to the countries that speak english it will definately make life easier and in my experience they are much more pleasant places that the french spaeking countries. I wish all the best:ok:

ALLSTATIONS
30th Mar 2006, 21:53
Real bad news. Worked for UN on contracts through whole of DRC. The company I worked for was from South Africa and they looked after their
crew. Not the place to be on your own.

With a bit of twin turbine time and some luck you can get jobs on contract in any s...hole of your choice, but with good solid companies that will make sure that you are taken care of.

Currently working in Angola and same thing applies. Dont just jump in, at least manage your risks.

Africa is a beauty :ok:

gerhardv8
1st Apr 2006, 21:10
I want to agree with all the previous and add the foll:

Currently working in FIH "under the protection of the white with big black letters" ......helps a lot. French?, I suffer a lot but again --- within "a" system you are OK........ Accom cost increased like you can't believe. My suggestion is to stay where you are.......this place is, and will become more hostile, closer to the election period............... think carefully!!!!!!

birdlady
1st Apr 2006, 22:15
DRC,

Hmmmmm.....champ if your still not convinced keep this in mind you could end up in someone's cooking pot and Im talking literally.......:E :rolleyes: :E

european champion
2nd Apr 2006, 19:07
Gerhard do you know when the election is coming?

gerhardv8
11th Apr 2006, 20:05
Sorry for the late reply, have been out of the country fo a "short" while. Although the UN is helping with the distribution of electoral materials and very involved in airlifting to/from various hubs through-out the DRC, I seem to "hear" very diffirent dates ranging mid-June to Mid-July.......2006?

The distribution phase is starting now and I think once that is going well, a proper date will "surface"...........

iakobos
12th Apr 2006, 18:03
First Elections on July 9 (first round for Prez & legislatives)
Second (provincials & Prez secound round -if needed-) probably in October
Third (municipals) in February '07
Fourth (locals) around June '07

european champion
13th Apr 2006, 13:49
Hi Iakobe how r u?i see from ur name u r greek,im greek too.Have u lived in kinshasa?whats is ur opinion,are there any opportunities to get a job there?Are there many greeks there?

KESHO
13th Apr 2006, 16:43
European Champ,

What part of the world doesn't have lots of Greeks?

A word of advise regarding work opportunities in the flying industry; there are not many jobs going anywhere in the world unless you are well experienced with good type ratings and good hours on type. Do not think, that you can travel to foreign countries to find work with no contacts and no local knowledge. If it were so easy, I think every one would be doing that. Africa is not a continent that you can just book a ticket to and arrive, make your way around and get contacts. Things work slightly differently here then they do in Europe.

The flying scene in Africa is so small in comparison to Europe or the States that all the available slots get taken before they even open up to the public. The flying community is small and jobs go to mates first before they get offered to outsiders. So use your contacts in Europe, get some experience and if you still want to experience Africa later, then you can always try again when you have some experience.

You might see the advice as very pessimistic, but honestly its for the better. You will just waste money, time and maybe more if you just arrive in Kinshasa.

KESHO

south coast
13th Apr 2006, 17:30
euro champ...

you seem to just ignore all the postings people have put on your thread about what kinshasa is like...

do you normally just ignore advice from people who have been there and who know about how things work in africa...

open your greek ears...?

cavortingcheetah
13th Apr 2006, 18:40
:)

Just sort of got back from a trip down to Kinshasa.I have to say that the memories of Leopoldville are still to be seen the some of the beautiful architectural examples that are doted around the centre of the city.
This is really by far the most interesting part of the capital.
Once Mobuto Seko took over in 1966 (?) the city expanded rapidly out from its original vibrant heartland. The shady boulevard of June 30th is well worth a stroll in the evening as the cool and refreshing breezes play along the banks of the slow moving Congo river and bring an atmosphere of almost ethereal fantasy to the lengthening shadows of the African dust.
There are many artists and musicians living in Kinshasa these days. English has replaced French as the lingua franca in many suburbs and Lingala, quite simple to learn I believe, is widely spoken. There are plenty of television stations in the city, usually enough to ensure that one of them is functioning on any one day and of course, for serious entertainment, there is always the Fine Art Academy and of course the Kinshasa Museum. Rumour has it however, that some parts of both of these establishments are closed for repairs at this time of the year.
N'Djili airport is not far rom the beach at Ngobila and in fact is linked by railway in order to make commuting easier for the many pilots and air crews who live overlooking the water at that charming residential suburb.
Other areas of outstanding beauty much favoured by foreigners include Gombe and Zone de Matonge. In the former area, you will find some jolly good night life.
There was, I seem to remember, a thriving Greek community, many of whom used to live in what is now Turkish Cyprus, a few English die hards, the odd Belgian and, surprisingly enough, very few South Africans - except at the airfield.
There are usually plenty of jobs about in aviation. The pay is so good that the pilot/crew turnover is very high with successful foreign workers leaving at a consistently smooth rate in order to take advantage in their homelands of the money which they have been able to urn ($ic) in The Democratic Republic of Congo!
Good luck ! As Stanley,who founded the place, might have said to Livingstone.;)

south coast
13th Apr 2006, 19:06
here here...cheetah describes it just as i remember it...

oh, to be in gombe in the spring time....

iakobos
13th Apr 2006, 19:29
Geia Su Champ (in 2004 only),
You presume wrongly, I belong to the OO- community, though, when not in FIH, I do live near one of your beaches (previously Kastella-Piraeus, now Perea-Thess), and even have a house with own beach on a small island, very vaguely Onassis-style....

There are indeed Greeks everywhere, and in FIH you may often meet children of mixed blood named Alexandros or Kostas whose father went back hastily to his motherland around the date of their birth.
Result; in FIH they are mostly old and keep busy promoting the delicacies of their cuisine in one of the four SV- restaurants.
I wont comment...but the height of the bill is inversely proportional to the quality of the food. (personal opinion only)
To complete the picture, there is a church (of course), a school and an almost completed community building (spiti gia olous).

On a very serious note: Kin is a place to avoid unless you have very little choices or want to live dangerously.

Na ta leme