PDA

View Full Version : Barretts oesophagus

neilr
17th Mar 2006, 12:43
I have a question in relation to this condition, basically its an inflamation of the lower intestinal tract caused by acid from the stomach (or so i have been told)

The recommendation is to take a proton pump inhibitor which effectively reduces acid in the stomach and reduces the chance of acid reflux - an example is protium

My question (eventually) is will this condition affect class 2 or even class 1 medical and does anybody know if these types of drugs will affect the issue or revalidation medical

Many thanksto anybody who can help

BelfastChild
18th Mar 2006, 12:31
Proton pump inhibitors are fairly innocuous drugs so should have no effect. Lots of people are on them.

With regards to Barrett's oesophagus, it is in fact a premalignant condition, ie left untreated it may progress to cancer of the oesophagus (although I stress that it is not cancer itself). The good news is that with appropriate treatment, ie PPIs, the condition is reversible and hopefully should never progress any further. You will need further surveillance in terms of endoscopy to keep an eye on it. But at the moment you are entirely healthy and it should have no effect on your licence.

Ps if you smoke - stop!

Non Normal
18th Mar 2006, 13:15
My question (eventually) is will this condition affect class 2 or even class 1 medical and does anybody know if these types of drugs will affect the issue or revalidation medical

The best people to ask is CAA. They are pretty helpful with this sort of things. You don't even have to give them your name to get an answer.

But remember that even if taking proton pump inhibitors does jeopardise your medical, the priority is your health, and the issues on medical should be a secondary consideration.

neilr
19th Mar 2006, 20:50
Thanks guys for the answers - I will give the CAA a call just to confirm

I dont smoke but I should probably cut down on the caffeine and curries :hmm:

Thanks again

ALEXA
23rd Mar 2006, 11:56
Just saw this thread.

I take PPIs (Omeprazole) for gastric reflux and have told the CAA. They confirmed that it has no effect on my Class 2.

I'm sure you'll hear the same.

But do make sure you are properly monitored if you already have Barrett's - you sure don't want it to progress any further.

Alexa

neilr
25th Mar 2006, 12:36
Thanks Alexa - thats good to know

I having monitored regularly to ensure it doesn`t develop into anything more sinister

Best cheer

Neilr

First.officer
25th Mar 2006, 21:12
Hi neilr, i myself have suffered with Barretts now for about 5 years, i informed the CAA prior to my class 1 medical and was told it wasn't a problem and subsequently was issued with the class 1 and have now had this renewed without any problems over the years after. I agree with previous posts about the cutting out of cigarettes etc. and regular endoscopies (of which i'm definitely not a fan !!) - i'm currently using 20mg Sodium Raberprazole (Pariet) to control the excess acid production and find this drug works very well for me - it's definitely worth discussing with your doctor about the various types of the Prazole family of drugs as some work far better than others (well, in my experience although of course we're all different) in cotrolling the excess acid production and consequent reflux. Hope this is of help, any queries, please feel free to conatct me either here or via PM.