PDA

View Full Version : Making the jump from CPL to ATPL in Australia

multi_engined
17th Mar 2006, 00:06
Hi,
I am currently studying for my Australian Commercial Pilot Licence. After achieving my CPL I was planning on going north i.e (NT) to get hours flying single engine VFR ops.

Anyway after speaking with a few people they say it is better to keep going after CPL and get ATPL done and out of the way instead of coming back to it in a few years time when it will be a lot harder to get back into the swing of things... does anyone else have an opinion on this? What do you guys think?

Regards,
ME

NZLeardriver
18th Mar 2006, 01:55
There are pros and cons either way. If you do them now, you are still in study mode, your CPL knowledge is still fresh, and you don't have to worry about it later.
However there is a time limitation between finishing the exams and getting the hours. Also doing them later when you are almost employable will make the knowledge fresh for any interviews.
Personally I feel that it will be easier to do them now for you. But I think it would be better to do them later. You can do the study and pass them now but it will all be abstract info with you not really relating it to real life. I say get a few hours under your belt and then sit them when it will start to mean something to you.

Killer Loop
18th Mar 2006, 02:19
However there is a time limitation between finishing the exams and getting the hours.

I don't think there is for the Australian system. If there is, what is it?

multi_engined
18th Mar 2006, 08:52
No there is no time limit between passing the exams and logging the hours... the only time limitation is that you must pass all seven ATPL examinations within a three year period, otherwise you have to re-sit them again. Thanks for the good advice!

gary gearbox
18th Mar 2006, 09:56
If you are a good student do them all self study when working in the NT or where ever you end up. A lot of jobs in GA will see you sitting at "bring ya dog along station" or some where similar for hours on end. Great time for study!!

GG