PDA

View Full Version : Where do the Air Berlin pilots get there Type?

Freighterpuppy
16th Mar 2006, 11:59
Hi all,

Can somebody tell me where Air Berlin pilots have to do their type and whether that facility has a website or otherwise a tel nr?

Is there anybody out there that has gained their own type and perhaps 100hrs on type with an airline? What did that cost, where did you do it and has it proven successful? In other words: do you have a job now?

I have 1000hrs, 800 of which are multi-turbine hours. Not too bad, but I have made the choice not to pay for any of my training anymore 4 years ago (after I have spend already 160000euros), consequently I am still without a flying job. If I don't start flying soon, I can forget about this career altogether. I already checked the turbo-prop department. The low wages and possible payment of type (either through a bond or directly) lead me to invest up to 46000 euros in the upcoming three years (I have learned now to work with worst case scenarios...)

The only other option seems to be to take the chance and pay my own type....and then see where it leads......

That, or not fly at all anymore...ever....luckily I have a nice job on the ground... ;)

Anyway, all help is appreciated..

Rgds,

Freighterpuppy

A320rider
16th Mar 2006, 12:36
hi,

ok, I don't get it, you say you have 800 h of multiturbine jet(jet or turboprop??), why do you want pay again for a type rating if you are already qualified on a jet (falcon, lear???), why don't you apply on the aicraft you have learned to fly???

it is not the space shuttle by the way?:confused:

Freighterpuppy
17th Mar 2006, 18:46
Hi A320,

no, unfortunately the 800hrs are not jet time. Turbo-prop time is what it was. In fact it was a Metroliner. Never got my type though. In the US a SIC check is sufficient. Besides, European airliners are somewhat sceptic towards US types anyway, even if I did have one.

I have read the forums you written in and believe me, I totally know where you're coming from. I would probably say that I agree with just about everything you said. For me, getting the type (preferrably an A320, tactical choice) and line-training is a relatively low financial risk in my current situation and my last try. If I can find a suitable program/training provider I will do it. It will be the last thing I try too. I simply refuse to go fly for a turboprop operator that also asks me to pay 22500 euro for type and then gives me wages that I have to add on to every month to make ends meet. If type doesn't work, that will effectively be the end of my flying career. I haven't flown commercially in 4 years now and that situation will not get any better. I do not believe that the aviation industry will ever pick up enough for airlines to get me off the shelve...so to speak.....

Well this was a long piece of text, sorry for that....:O