PDA

View Full Version : Gliding in South Africa

Panama Jack
16th Mar 2006, 08:09
Was wondering if anybody could point the direction for me to any gliding (soaring) clubs or commercial operators in the vicinity of Johannesburg?

Solid Rust Twotter
16th Mar 2006, 08:33
Brits, Goldfields (Orkney) and Orient are glider fields near Johannesburg. A number of others operate in Natal, Underberg among them as well as Tempe near Bloemfontein and others in the Cape. Aero Club of South Africa website should be a good start.

Brian Spreckley in conjunction with Dick Bradley from Orient also used to run a gliding camp in Mmabatho each December but not sure if that still happens. A German/Swiss contingent were also regular visitors. Huge thermals in the area and records were regularly broken. 4000m runway hardly used and good facilities in town so a good place to try for personal bests.

Little One
16th Mar 2006, 16:02
Parys also operates a gliding club and is about 1h15 min south of JHB

i'll pm you contact details

TownshipDog
19th Mar 2006, 16:46
Try www.sssa.org.za/mgc (http://www.sssa.org.za/mgc) thats the address for the Magalies Gliding Club @ Orient airfield. They're the biggest in the country, 9 club gliders for hire and 3 tugs. Good bunch of guys, make sure you stick around for 'one beer' at the pub after flying...

square leg
20th Mar 2006, 16:41
Try Cape Gliding Club in Worcester near Cape Town. They have done 1000km's, and I think close to 1500km's as well. Ridge, thermals & WAVE!!! are all down there.

Good luck

avslag
22nd Mar 2006, 14:19
Hi,
The Cape Gliding Club in Worceter has a really great set up good bunch of people and the conditions are of the best if not the best in the country.

Avslag