PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade Issues

Oggin Aviator
15th Mar 2006, 22:43
Hello
Just upgraded a circa 1999 PC with a new motherboard bundle (MB/Sempron Chip/512 ram) - kept everything else but also loaded Win XP home upgrade over Win Millenium Edition (horrible, horrible software).
Win XP appeared to find all the drivers required for the existing hardware, however ......
On intial bootup I get a error screen saying something like "Disk Failure, Insert System Disk to continue". If I just press enter, Win XP boots up as normal :confused: and then runs normally.
Any thoughts? HDD is an ATA 100 10 Gig. Been through the BIOS deselecting CD drive as a boot device with no change. Or is it the floppy ??????
Oggin

Paris Dakar
16th Mar 2006, 13:41
Disconnect the floppy drive altogether and ensure (in the BIOS) that booting from that drive is not an option, and see what happens. If you still get the message, it's not your floppy drive that is at fault.

Irish Steve
19th Mar 2006, 00:41
Was the previous incarnation something like a DELL or Packard Bell machine? If it was, there is a possibility that the Root area of the disc, which it has to access as part of the boot routines, might not have been correctly set up for XP when you did the upgrade.
In some cases, this area is "hidden" from the operating system, so it doesn't show up as a drive as such.
I've seen some very strange things happen as a result of these "hidden" partitions, depending on how the upgrade was installed, especially where there's been a change to a new operating system.