PDA

View Full Version : ADSL Connection problems

longarm
15th Mar 2006, 17:41
Have had my ADSL line activated yesterday (well actually its the mother in laws) . Attatched my router to the BT master socket via microfilter but no adsl signal was received. Rang the ISP who ran a line test and all was ok and the line was ADSL enabled. Removed the bottom front panel of the BT master plate (NTE5 socket) and connected directly to the main line into the house to confirm it was not an internal wiring fault. Still no ADSL. Have brought the router and filter back home and plugged it into my phone socket and the ADSL signal was detected immediately. Anybody got any ideas what the problem could be?

Conan the Librarian
15th Mar 2006, 18:47
Either

(A) They connected you instead of the MIL

or

(B) They lie.

The router should show you whether it has an ADSL signal via LED or similar. If it hasn't, go back and tell them it doesn't work.

You may think I am just being a pedant with reply A, but I have heard of people booking up the wrong number for ADSL and then, due to poor checks or whatever, finding that they have installed ADSL for somebody else entirely. Classic cock up maybe, but illustrative of how these things can go pear shaped.

Conan

frostbite
15th Mar 2006, 19:58
Probably (B) - maybe not deliberately - they often look on the computer rather than test the line. You may find it's been enabled today because ISTR this ritual is carried out at 1800hrs. Can't imagine why.

rotorcraig
16th Mar 2006, 22:45
I have a friend that swears blind that he asked for NTL to connect NTL Broadband to his NTL phone line.

... but that Tiscali have connected Tiscali broadband to his BT line instead.

Eh??!!

RC

longarm
17th Mar 2006, 17:55
Thanks for the replies. ISP tested the line again today and found a fault at the exchange, should be fixed in a couple of days (cheques in the post etc...)