PDA

View Full Version : to the airlines job wannabe

airbusboeingdriver
15th Mar 2006, 15:06
hi guys,

for those who are wannabes/cpl/ir/frozen atpl hoders and interested in flying for airlines,now is about the best time to do what you desire.

believe tiger is looking to have 100 pilots on its crew list by the end of the year due to new aircrafts arrival and jetstar is currently very hard to cope with pilots shortage at the moment.

there are just a few points you need to take note during the application process.

1)you need to have a current cpl/ir/fatpl that is acceptable to the caas for the conversion of your license to a singapore one,in principle is good enough the conversion can be done after you secure a job.to be acceptable by the caas is normally you have written to them before you commence your flying training with a flying school acceptable to them.if not,go get your license convert to be acceptable.

2)is to bring along that c.v.of yours and go start knocking the chief pilot's door of tiger airways and jetstar asia.apart from your c.v.remember to bring along your confident, positive attitude and never say die spirit.

3)depending on which and time,for tiger if they accept you need to fork out S$30,000 cash upfront and S$30,000 loan from tiger's assistance program to finance your airbus320 type rating in france.as for jetstar, they might finance your type rating and in lieu you sign a training bond with them.

now is probably the best time with good chances for self sponsored, ex-air force and previous basic airline experience pilots to apply job with these airlines due to the their expansion and pilots shortage situation.

if i can be of any help to provide you info,please email me.

good luck guys!

alexb757
15th Mar 2006, 19:03
hi guys,

for those who are wannabes/cpl/ir/frozen atpl hoders and interested in flying for airlines,now is about the best time to do what you desire.

believe tiger is looking to have 100 pilots on its crew list by the end of the year due to new aircrafts arrival and jetstar is currently very hard to cope with pilots shortage at the moment.

there are just a few points you need to take note during the application process.

1)you need to have a current cpl/ir/fatpl that is acceptable to the caas for the conversion of your license to a singapore one,in principle is good enough the conversion can be done after you secure a job.to be acceptable by the caas is normally you have written to them before you commence your flying training with a flying school acceptable to them.if not,go get your license convert to be acceptable.

2)is to bring along that c.v.of yours and go start knocking the chief pilot's door of tiger airways and jetstar asia.apart from your c.v.remember to bring along your confident, positive attitude and never say die spirit.

3)depending on which and time,for tiger if they accept you need to fork out S$30,000 cash upfront and S$30,000 loan from tiger's assistance program to finance your airbus320 type rating in france.as for jetstar, they might finance your type rating and in lieu you sign a training bond with them.

now is probably the best time with good chances for self sponsored, ex-air force and previous basic airline experience pilots to apply job with these airlines due to the their expansion and pilots shortage situation.

if i can be of any help to provide you info,please email me.

good luck guys!

Whoa, boy!!! Just wait a minute here. You sound rather young and naieve (maybe you are one of those wannabes?) and I remember when I was all exhuberant just like you and then I grew up and got a lot of experience - not all of it good, I might add.
For starters, where is the average 20 or 30-something going to get a hold of $30, 000+ for training? Besides, most "good" airlines pay YOU to get type rated, my friend. I have 4 Boeing type ratings on one of my 3 ICAO licences and I have NEVER paid for a single one of them!!!!
Mostly new start-up airlines will try something like this because they know it will help their bottom line and there are, obviously, many people like you, who are prepared to do whetever it takes to get a type rating. Let me tell you in no uncertain terms, two things:
First, you do not need to pay in order to get a type rating and a subsequent job, if, as you say, there is an impending pilot shortage. It's all about supply and demand. If they need pilots, then a type rating is all part and parcel of the whole recruiting deal and should be a business cost to the airline - not you!!
Second, if you think it costs $30,000 to do a A320 type rating, thenwhoever told you this wants to fleece you.
Finally, if you have money to burn, go ahead and buy into this pay-for-training "scheme". I assure you, you will not be a better pilot and certainly you will be poorer in pocket. I wonder what the starting salary they offer? Probably industry sub-standard.
Good luck inwhatever you decide but I thought others might like to hear from someone with a bit of experience in this field and save themselves a whole load of grief, not to mention money!

Thermal Image
15th Mar 2006, 22:38
hi guys,

Hmm, according to this page:
http://www.tigerairways.com/about/careers.php

They are looking for:

ICAO recognized ATPL
• Jet experienced, or more than 1000 hours on turboprop aircraft
• More than 1500 hours total time.

That means:

wannabes/cpl/ir/frozen atpl hoders

don't quite qualify.

airbusboeingdriver
16th Mar 2006, 10:10
Whoa, boy!!! Just wait a minute here. You sound rather young and naieve (maybe you are one of those wannabes?) and I remember when I was all exhuberant just like you and then I grew up and got a lot of experience - not all of it good, I might add.
For starters, where is the average 20 or 30-something going to get a hold of $30, 000+ for training? Besides, most "good" airlines pay YOU to get type rated, my friend. I have 4 Boeing type ratings on one of my 3 ICAO licences and I have NEVER paid for a single one of them!!!!
Mostly new start-up airlines will try something like this because they know it will help their bottom line and there are, obviously, many people like you, who are prepared to do whetever it takes to get a type rating. Let me tell you in no uncertain terms, two things:
First, you do not need to pay in order to get a type rating and a subsequent job, if, as you say, there is an impending pilot shortage. It's all about supply and demand. If they need pilots, then a type rating is all part and parcel of the whole recruiting deal and should be a business cost to the airline - not you!!
Second, if you think it costs $30,000 to do a A320 type rating, thenwhoever told you this wants to fleece you.
Finally, if you have money to burn, go ahead and buy into this pay-for-training "scheme". I assure you, you will not be a better pilot and certainly you will be poorer in pocket. I wonder what the starting salary they offer? Probably industry sub-standard.
Good luck inwhatever you decide but I thought others might like to hear from someone with a bit of experience in this field and save themselves a whole load of grief, not to mention money!

well mr or miss alexb757,

perhaps you are more experience cos i only got about 8 type ratings on 6 atpls i am holding.maybe i am young, naive cos i have just started flying 21 years ago.as for aircraft type flown,probably you flown more aircrafts than me cos including those that i used to instruct in my early days,i have flown about 15 types including lighter than air category. and yes you are right! i am still a wannabe, a wannabe to command the A380.

but me and many others certainly dont live in a well like you or are in a country you are in cos the situation for us is not as fortunate as you with a silver spoon stick onto your mouth, or probably somewhere else.

i posted this topic is not for arrogant and ignorant people like you to critisize but information for those self-sponsored student and/or other cpl/ir/atpl who did not make it to our national carriers(which a type rating is sponsored in lieu of bond) but still has die hard attitude to pursue a career as airline pilot in singapore.

at present apart from our 2 national carriers the other 3 low cost airlines do not have a cadet sponsorship program though there was only one lucky lady cadet pilot being sponsored by jetstarasia. meaning,if you do not make it to the nationals there is no other alternative you can embark on an airline career with sponsored ratings.

to be frank, i personally do not agree to pay for type rating to secure a job but i fully understand (which alexbb757 will never)the system and the helpless situation the jobless and frustrated pilots here are facing.

having paid approx.US$50,000 and sacrificed 1.5 years of life in flying training with full of stress and hopes in getting a flying job but face with with rejection from the nationals, you want them to give up?

and i did not mention S$30,000 for a A320 type rating! i said 30,000 cash of your own up front and 30,000 loan from the company deductible an agreed amount from your monthly salary for a proper A320 type rating from toulouse,france.

S$60,000 is by no means a small amount,some may not be able to afford it,some may take loan from banks or friends etc. but you are suggesting those candidates not pay, and if they pay they are no better pilot. okay! say if they walk your path, can you advise, direct or help them secure a job with your smart ass attitute?

cant you see in our part of the world this is probably the only way a reject from national carriers still wants to fly for a proper airline and let me tell you for sure that these guys are by all means better than you as a pilot cos they have the survival means,they manage and cope with stress well,they have the desire to fly by all means in terms of financial difficulties and many other obstacles which you mr alexb757 golden spoon boy will never understand.this thread is not for you,get lost!

p.s.
tiger is paying capt S$96000 plus 109/flt hr and f/o S$64000 and 64/flt hr,

jetstarasia S$120,000 plus >200/flt hr (after 55 hrs) for capt and S$72,000 plus 140/flt hr (after 55 hrs) for f/o

i guess this is way above the industry sub-standard salary you mentioned and are getting now.

hi thermal image,

the requirements are for direct entry f/o. however they wil now consider entry level f/o with basic requirements, preferably a local, a cpl/ir with frozen atpl acceptable to the caas, pass a sim check ride, able to finance up front atleast half the cost of A320 type rating and most important that positive and never say die attitude.

Thermal Image
16th Mar 2006, 10:47
[/I]

hi thermal image,

the requirements are for direct entry f/o. however they wil now consider entry level f/o with basic requirements, preferably a local, a cpl/ir with frozen atpl acceptable to the caas, pass a sim check ride, able to finance up front atleast half the cost of A320 type rating and most important that positive and never say die attitude.

Good day sir,

I know only what I read from their website. Thank you for the update.

Maybe they haven't updated their website because they want to appear as though they still prefer experienced crew and would rather not cause the travelling public to worry that they are now taking in newbies?

fhchiang
16th Mar 2006, 11:29
airbusboeingdriver..... well said.. check your PM.....

WELL...... i think what airbusboeingbriver said is quite FAIR(no bull**** statment)

we need to adapt to the changing times and situation in the aviation industry....... if u insist something like.. I will not come out a single CENT for my type-rating at times like this, you may never ever get a job........

i've heard story from someone my dad knows...

Spent RM 200k in Aussie for an Aussie CPL/IR./.... came back copuldn't find a job... and is still insisting in his unrealistic view...

i know another one who got his frist jet job very very quickly....

he went to Australia... did an aviation Degree(wonder why these degrees are so popular with aussie), Came back to malaysia, did a convertion, Instruct in a local club until 800++hours, Got into Air Asia... signed a 5 year bond for 737 Type-rating,...

so? if u insist on not paying anything... you may still be instructing...... but look at that guy..... he got his jet job.. yes he paid for it... for the first 5 years of his career, it may be difficult.. But he is still GETTINg the JET HOURS, ..........

what about those people who INSISTED in their dream of making the airline pay for them?? they may never get JET experience.. and may only get their First JET job, when pilot from their batch who paid for the TR is already on the LEft hand seat.

Dani
16th Mar 2006, 12:43
Well, let me calm some heated discussion with some facts:

1. It's true that SIN's LCC are hiring, the outfit is not bad. Tiger will need lots of pilots, but they have already 100s of applications, and most of them do not only have the minimum requirements. Tiger prefers FOs who are typed and ready for upgrading.

2. Jetstar is also here, but let all be reminded that they are in a critical financial state. Local newspaper report rumours that by the end of the year there will only be one LCC left. Be it by merger, be it another way.

3. It's easy to do a type rating for 30 000$. Go to the US. A type rating doesn't guarantee much, it's your abilities that count.

4. Knocking on a chief pilot's door is a bad idea considering 100s of wannabees. Tiger's CFO Chris Ward stated the policy that any applicant knocking will be sent home. There is still that cute e-mail address ;)

Dani

airbusboeingdriver
16th Mar 2006, 13:09
hi thermal,

u are right the advert is there and is what they stated, what happen is they might give someone with lower qualification a chance if that applicant shown his interest in flying, suits the profile they are looking for and most important - knocking the chief pilot's door with the right attitude.

i personally think safety is not an issue for candidates with lower hours as they would have been trained and tested by their licensing authorities who issued them their licenses and again they will be trained and tested by airbus of france when they go for their type rating.

probably the newbies will not be as experienced and efficient as their seniors but everybody starts somewhere right? if they are not given a chance,how and where are they going to start?

facts for newbies-in feb 2006 a young man equipped with cpl/ir/frozen atpl and 350hrs on light aircrafts went knocking on one of the LCC chief pilot's door, had some discussion with management, went up to caas after the meeting to enquire the requirements for conversion of his license to a local equivalant, passed a sim assessment few days later, got his S$30,000(probably robbed the bank or sell their family house) for the cost of type rating, and today he is hired and doing his A320 conversion in toulouse, france.

morale of the story-dont give up,keep it going.i do agree a bit with dani above as knockng doors may somehow cause inconvinence to the chief pilot, just remember the key world:TIMING AND A SMILE.

oh! is too much **** for me today especially from our alexboy 757,getting old for all this. gotta go practise flying on my computer to cool off. cheers! guys.

AiRBuS_380
17th Mar 2006, 07:19
hi, forgive me to say something...

flying is passion it not about the money or showing off who has more type ratings.

i am a FO for SIA and i have only 2 major type ratings which is the B744 and no gainiing my type rating for A380.

again i started flying when im 22yrs old with massey university. i got my own singapore ATPL/IR

yes the school fees are killing my family when i first started but i believe that flying for those who really have the passion u will do watever it takes to fly.

realax and provide information towards our peers who wants to be like us, it isnt very pleasant to see such conflicts happen around here..
i will assumed that you guys must be either CPTS or SFO,i am a junior as a pilot with only about 9 years including training...

cheers
great way to fly
singapore airlines

airbusboeingdriver
17th Mar 2006, 11:56
airbus 380,

worry need not! everything is cool is just that certain people needed certain languages to get the message across their mind.

anyway,happy for you.did you actually request for it or the management offered you the 380? heard lately upstair offered some airbus type rated guys from jetstarasia DEC posn on 345,will they do the same for the right seat posn? and when they phase out the jubilee then perhaps guys from 345 will go straight to 380 yah!

please,only if you are willing to share.cheers!

AiRBuS_380
21st Mar 2006, 10:47
airbus 380,

worry need not! everything is cool is just that certain people needed certain languages to get the message across their mind.

anyway,happy for you.did you actually request for it or the management offered you the 380? heard lately upstair offered some airbus type rated guys from jetstarasia DEC posn on 345,will they do the same for the right seat posn? and when they phase out the jubilee then perhaps guys from 345 will go straight to 380 yah!

please,only if you are willing to share.cheers!

hi,
i was offered with A380 conversion and of cos i grad every chance to go to it.
as for the 345 pilots i am not sure about their career path and which planes they wll be converted to.

i am just one of the couldnt be bothered boeing/airbus driver who goes to work, head towards the bassement to get my barang barang then heads to coffee bean or starbucks for a cup of coffee and straight to the 'lung killing area' outside the carparks before i head to my plane..

great way to fly
singapore airlines

airbusboeingdriver
22nd Mar 2006, 06:52
good on you man!

Flying-Corporal
28th Mar 2006, 16:04
hi guys,

Do they accept American pilots? Will someone who is a regional airline captain in the US considered to be overqualified for this job?

I heard Asian carriers prefer Canadians, Brits and Australian pilots...

Cheers, FC

PicMas
28th Mar 2006, 17:49
AirbusBoeingdriver, you speak like a true wannabe.....

rsull
19th Apr 2006, 12:16
So has anybody taken the tips from airbusboeingdriver?
Lets hear if you have.

I am unable to make an appearance but an applying online now.

How do you apply to J*Asia. i got re-directed to monster.com and couldnt find any info. any tips?

thanks