PDA

View Full Version : EK recruiting in Oz

donpizmeov
15th Mar 2006, 04:54
I guess some would have seen the add in the Australian about EK holding an open day for recruiting pilots a little while back.

Well since this is a rumour network, how about this. As well as the open day, assessment sim rides will also be held for those that have already got an application in. Time frame is early Apr. This is something that EK has not done before. Also, rumour has it that female applicants will also be assessed.

Could this be because EK have seen what salaries are like in Oz, and how much pilots are paying for type ratings now, and think that the fellas can not afford the trip to the desert ?

Don

404 Titan
15th Mar 2006, 05:11
donpizmeov

It could be because they are desperate for pilots. Having numerous aircraft parked up against the fence does wonders to inspire management to employ more pilots.

SkySista
15th Mar 2006, 06:23
If the hosties are leaving in as many numbers as I was told the other day, it's hardly surprising they need more drivers as well....

propaganda
15th Mar 2006, 06:24
Unfortunately, No OZ /NZ bases just DXB:(

Yusef Danet
16th Mar 2006, 04:36
Has anyone got the email address from last Friday's ad in the Strine? I may as well see what they've got to say....

QFinsider
16th Mar 2006, 04:41
Dood,

it's [email protected]

(Still waiting for a reply)

good luck:ok:

Australia2
16th Mar 2006, 04:48
Details of the open days also being posted on their website.

Oz2

ratpoison
16th Mar 2006, 17:53
Dear oh dear oh dear, people just never learn do they.

Lodown
16th Mar 2006, 19:09
Qantas managers are spruiking about competition between airlines for passengers. It also extends to pilots, engineers and crew. Qantas just hasn't had much experience in that field yet, but it's coming. Sounds like EK is starting to feel it.

Tail Rota
17th Mar 2006, 10:39
Guys

........if you anyone down here is seroius about moving to EK or any other operator in the Mid East....... can I just say.... if you currently have a job, like where you live, are reasonably happy with who you are working for and feel that life is ok at the moment, then dont move. the grass is always greener but remember its still grass....it may have a little more flavour or it may look nice from your paddock .....but trust me its still grass. life up here is not like life in Aussie or NZ.

people up here are very different and the way you are treated is not like you are treated backhome. if you need a job then take what ever you can get.....but my advice is commute on a contract job from your home ...its still better than the unreasonable, unlogical and frustrating Management of the middle east.

Yes.... I have moved to the sand and yes I am now stuck here....I have a big car loan..... I have gold cards coming out of my ears and the banks are still trying force more of their credit cards onto me. I have a bank loan that I have used to invest into real estate......biut its all got to be paid back and the cost is not cheap. I am now traped at least until my fourth year is up.

......they made a great job of selling life style ...roster stability.....big money....and great layovers on the worlds most modern fleet. look very hard at what your options are and think very carefully about leaving a great life style in country where you do have rights as an employee, you can go anywhere you like without having to put up with the outdated fourth world mentality of we are local you are S#%t.

I have made the most of being up here but its expensive......nothing is free.....the red tape you go through to get things done here on a daily basis is completely unbeliveable......and its shrugged off as "oh thats the way it is here ".

.....if I had done my research on daily life and the cost of living and how much I was really getting paid in the sand........I would not have applied at all. For me it hasnt been worth it. I am now like many others here actively working toward getting out.

TR

HAMO
17th Mar 2006, 11:43
TR

Well said

Esp for those of you who are based in BNE .. think long and hard before swapping that for the desert of DXB .. yes it all looks very nice as TR has said, but it is not a scrap on Brisvegas and SE QLD.

Des Dimona
17th Mar 2006, 14:30
Sooooo - you want to work for Emirates ???

If you want to fly shiny new jets, then Dubai is just the place for you. Or is it ??

PLEASE - consider carefully the following:

- Rostered 90 plus hours long haul (mostly east west) per month.
- Minimum days off, particularly on the A330.
- Long term fatigue issues.
- The AUD/NZ equivalent salary has decreased effectively by around 30 % since the USD fell into the abyss.
- Uncertain promotion prospects with unannounced changes possible to policies.
- Contracts that will be altered at any time without any discussion with you.
- No union representation.
- Ineffective, sycophantic management that has little regard for your welfare. The one and only good manager we have is leaving soon.
- Housing is luck of the draw - you get what's allotted by the housing mafia.
- Cost of living in Dubai is NO LONGER the value for money paradise it used to be. Plan on AT LEAST what you spend in AUS/NZ.
- Inflation is becoming a significant component of daily life here. Salaries are way behind in buying power compared to 2 years ago.
- There is NO POSSIBILITY of commuting with the rosters as they are and indeed into the future as relative pilot numbers fall against increasing numbers of destinations.
- You will be working with people who 2 years ago would never have got a look in. Standards are a real issue that you should consider.
- Ask yourself why so many people are LEAVING rather than joining. Resignation rates are at levels NEVER seen before with this company.
- The traffic situation and driving in Dubai is horrific.
- What value do you place on lifestyle ? As one who has moved from your region, can I say that the grass is VERY DEFINITELY greener where you are.

If you are working for VB, QF, JQ, JetConnect, Pacific Blue (or indeed any other established operator) please think very seriously before you resign and make a move that may well be regretted very soon after arriving. This is all the more relevant when you are facing a USD 36,000 bond from the moment you do your final check to the line.

Ask specific questions to the Emirates people at the open day and insist on answers, rather than vague responses. They must not be allowed to give you false impressions and false hopes of what life and work in Dubai is all about.

In conclusion, this is the stark reality about Emirates - so think very carefully about your career aspirations and your family and how they will handle such a move.

radnav
17th Mar 2006, 16:07
Surely this is not the same Emirates at which Flight Ops management continue to this day to "tell" the existing guys how lucky they are to have a job at Emirates because we are getting DOZENS of applications every day from the most fantastic applicants....mmmmmm....so now, HR have to start running ALL around the World holding Forums and Seminars trying to get pilots to apply to Emirates.
Why is this so Professor???????? Just maybe there is a message hidden somewhere in the CODE. :confused: :p

QFinsider
17th Mar 2006, 19:55
Guys I understand the ME culture....Been there before.

Most interesting with the advertisement was the timing!
QF are aware of it, probably have the keystone security taking down number plates and snapping photos of QF attendees..

It puts a little subtle pressure on to say the least...QF facing some new poachers that Dixon is worried will swamp the airline and staff he cares so much about:suspect:

BAE146
17th Mar 2006, 22:28
Interesting 1st posts from Des dimona and tail rota. Sound to me like a couple of f/os maybe bypassed by the DEC chaps. Only a hunch. I have lived in the Middle East now for near on six years and can tell you this tax free gig, paid accomodation, paid school fees and flying nice shiny new aircraft is top stuff. I am nearly set up for life thanks to this little tour of duty.

Get with the program fellas, you have never had it so good !:ok:

QFinsider you gotta be management mate with those conspiricy theories. Number plate recording at EK interviews............methinks QF may be getting a little spooked........BOO !!!!

Ron & Edna Johns
18th Mar 2006, 01:45
I think EVERY Qantas pilot who's got a day off when EK holds the open day should attend. There's no commitment, no obligation. And professional people should be continually out there anyway, networking and assessing where they sit in the big picture.

I wonder if it'd be useful for the word to get back to GOD that a couple of hundred QF pilots attended? I wonder whether he would would think: "great, a way to rid myself of a bunch of overpaid, unworking whingers", or could he think "uh oh....." ?

It could be a useful ploy, overall, and will certainly be educational. They might even have free beer!

404 Titan
18th Mar 2006, 04:12
I like to see what happens when a certain major Asian carrier starts interviewing later this years for direct entry F/O’s based in Sydney and Melbourne on their pax fleet. Preference will be given to those that already have A330/340 experience but I'm sure all will be considered. I suspect we will hear from a lot of pissed off QF drivers. I think we will also hear from a lot of J* drivers looking for a better gig that will pay them better than what they are currently being offered.

Led Zeppelin
18th Mar 2006, 05:43
BAE146,

"....Get with the program fellas, you have never had it so good"
And just whose managers backside are you climbing up???
Maybe with your infinite wisdom (sic) you could tell us exactly which points raised by rota and des are so incorrect.
Seems to me they have hit the nail on the head. :ok:

Ron and Edna

Good idea for all QF pilots to attend and see just how well off they are compared to the Emirates guys. I am sure that very few applications will follow once the salaries and contracts are closely examined. So I don't think Dixon has all that much to worry about in terms of EK poaching anyone.

Roadrunner
18th Mar 2006, 06:50
We all have our own threshold of pain.

Whether it be low salary, good lifestyle or visa versa. Living in the sand pit with family and putting up with all that it brings or living in the rice pit as I am away from the family for reasonably long periods.

Do what you have to to get ahead. Use the mongrels to get that shinny Boeing/god forbid Airbus (just kidding) endorsement and move on to a better deal when it presents itself.

Current airline management attitude deserves nothing better from us.

The companies and their pathetic attitudes are turning previously keen committed pilots into jaded, who gives a..........types.

They have lost the plot and it will cost them in all sorts of ways as time goes on.

Do what is right for you.

By the way, the sandpit isn't too bad for a little while.

Mysalami
18th Mar 2006, 09:12
I have quite a few mates at EK. It is interesting to chat with them about how things are going there. Until recently trying to find time to chat with the Airbus drivers was hard to do as they were always at work. Now it seems the Boeing drivers are also on the busy rosters.
I have found those that just treat EK as any other job,and leave the office politics alone are happy campers. These are normally the ones that live in areas that are not surrounded by other EK pilots. The fellas that are living in the EK ghettos, surrounded by other EK pilots, do not seem to be able to get away from the company. These seem to be the ones that are aging before there time, as they can not step a foot out of their house without being depressed by another story or rumour of woe from the company. Unfortunately, where you get to live is determined by the EK housing department, and once put somewhere you are stuck, unless rents go up, and the company makes you pay for a move somewhere cheaper. Last time I was in DXB, I was shown the new Villas which are to house 600 to 800 EK pilots, and which will be finished shortly. These stand in the middle of the desert, far away from the schools and shops and restaurants etc. If the effect of living surrounded by 83 other pilots close to town can be depressing, I can only try and imagine the effect of being surrounded by 799 in the middle of nowhere.
All those I know within the company reckon it has gone dramatically down hill in the past few years. But this is also the case with those I know at SQ, CX, KA, QF etc etc.
It is interesting that EK is now conducting SIM assessments outside of DXB. I wonder if word has got out that the days of quick commands in the desert are gone, and the applicants for FO have dried up. I was recently told that EK is looking for 100 direct entry captains this year alone. They already have 700 FOs employed, so I would figure that command for a new joiner now must be closer to 7yrs than the 3yrs it was, or to 3.5 to 4yrs for a Bus FO there now.
With the new goings on at Jet star, the unease at QF and the new CX FO positions on the east coast, things are far from boring in Oz aviation at the moment.

ratpoison
18th Mar 2006, 10:21
Now, that was bloody well said.

Tail Rota
18th Mar 2006, 10:28
Hey 146

yep I am an F/O and no I havent been by passed by any DEC as you put it.
My post wasnt about the DEC or about commands...it was just a insight into the reality and frustration of living in the sand.

I guess by the way you say you are nearly set up for life that you will be packing it in soon and heading home. congratulations:ok:

my question to you is....... why dont you do another 14yrs and make a real go of it and become a 20yr man. I gues if you have come from a third world country flying over loaded under performing aircraft for next to no salary the middle east would be a great option.

But where I come from its not like that and I was just letting a few mates back in Aussie and NZ know that its not all roses.

You cant fool me or anyone else up here 146 and I know that deep down inside you know exactly what I am talking about .....and probably feel the same as the rest of us:E

Like I said in my post I am stuck here for a while but I am working hard to undo all that has been done to get me and my family back home to a normal life paying tax and being free.

TR

Tail Rota
18th Mar 2006, 13:45
just saw this on the Middle east forum......something to think about

thanks to Cerebus.:ok:

Emirates to Cathay Actual Pay Comparison
We have al read the post that say a CX 'Toilet Attendant' earns more than an EK 'Universe Fleet Chief Pilot' so I thought I'd do some research.

Got my info from an open website which has the actual gen. (all in US Dollars). The site I looked at says that variable pay and housing allowances are not included for Cathay so I have not included them for EK either. I believe Cathay's variable pay is somewhat better than EK's though. Leave, medical and insurance etc seem comparable. Hong Kong tax takes about 16%; about the same as hidden taxes in Dubai. (Updated Feb 06)

Emirates

F/O $60,065-$69,331 (6 years)

Capt $87,040-$92,341 (3 years) $116,975 (10 years)

Cathay

S/O $49,878-$70,078 JFO $76,522

F/O $99,483-$104,645 SFO $108,000-$122,000

Capt $152,000- (I think becomes Snr Capt after 2 years)
Snr Capt $157,000-$186,000 (10 years) $210,580 (17yrs)

So, sadly by my reckoning:

1. A CX snr SO actually does earn more than a jnr EK F/O.
2. And; a CX F/O does earn more than an EK Capt.
3. A CX SFO earns more than a 10 year EK Capt.
4. And; a CX Capt earns 75% more than a EK Capt on appointment.

Thank god we have quick commands at EK, no DECs, a great rostering system, all the leave we could possibly want.....what we don't?

I have to be honest I actually found the figures quite shocking, I was planning to disprove the other posts. Hong Kong is a bit more expensive than Dubai but the fact is:

Permission to start blubbering, Sir!

Cerberus:{

Blue-Footed Boobie
18th Mar 2006, 19:00
Tail Rota,

Obviously there is a pay difference but.. you're not paying tax in Dubai and accomodation is supplied, petrol for the mota is about 30p a litre I think? Beer from the licenced outlet ain't too bad either.

So can you compare on an equal basis?

Blue Foot

PS. I heard EK have asked Airbus if it's possible to park up their new planes for a while due lack of crews?

BaghDaddy.
18th Mar 2006, 19:22
Ahh another one has fallen for the old "tax-free" line.

Yes there is not income tax in Dubai... YET.

But there is a tax on booze. Very expensive to drown your sorrows unless you bootleg it through Sharjah from the hole-in-the-wall.

There is a municipal tax and there are service charges applied to just about everything.

Did I mention the lifestyle tax?

Fuel, a sore point in Aust, has nevertheless gone up about 40 or 50% in only TWO price hikes in the last 3 years.

A VAT is supposedly just around the corner.

Income tax is also under discussion, at differing rates for expats/locals, of course, if the locals are even taxed at all.

Interestingly, they still have a "duty-free" shop at the airport which does a roaring trade hooking in other suckers who fall for the tax-free line. Strange since there is supposedly no tax.

One thing that IS tax-free is tobacco. We can't go taxing fags, now can we? (That's the "fags" you puff on, not the other kind.... wait, let me re-phrase that....:yuk: )

BAE146
18th Mar 2006, 22:56
Tail Rota you say you have come from dunnunda with massive credit card debts, mortgage and car loan. Well I'll get out my violin and start playing Romanian Tradgedy in E minor for you. I came out of the UK seven years ago in a similiar situation with debt. You must have got lucky to have been able to have a few pounds over to get into the real estate market. Point is aviation in the UK was/is unpredictable and pilots are generally underpaid and overworked. Here you are worked the same but enjoy tax free remuneration, accomodation and many other niceties.

As for my longevity here, I will decide if I desire to become a "twenty-year man" but rest assured it will have nothing to do with "......getting me and my family back home to a normal life paying tax and being free." It will be decided on whether or not the next job is as good as or better than my current one.

I can remember the hard knocks in this industry and I can tell you, for me, this is a good job ! :ok:

P.S. I'll let you decide if the UK is a third world.

ur2
18th Mar 2006, 23:10
Tail Rota,
You say no DE commands, but, a mate of mine has just got a 777 DE command at EK, and had no previous wide body time.
I believe their will be many more.

nike
18th Mar 2006, 23:29
ur2:

Hard to read tone from written words I know, but sarcasm is alive and well within these threads.

Elroy Jettson
18th Mar 2006, 23:57
Sorry for the belated reply Ron and Edna, but the only words ringing in GDs ears if he saw 200 pilots head to the sand pit will be....."B SCALE!" :mad:

NoseGear
19th Mar 2006, 00:28
Hi Blue Foot, you mention that EK gives you free housing, however Cathay, thru the housing allowance, will pay off your mortgage, so you own your house here. Its another "revenue stream" to use managment-speak.:E Or, they will pay your rent, so its the same as having a house provided. Petrol here is around 13HKD/litre, which is 1.70USD/litre, not sure how that stacks up but the public transport here is so good, there is no need for cars anyway.
Now for the really important stuff; Beer can be had from the B scale bar (7-11) for 10ish HKD per can (1.25USD).:ok: AND, you can drink it anywhere, and I mean anywhere, buses, ferrys etc. It does go up to around 50HKD when you head out to town, but judging by the number of westerners in a numbed up state, it doesn't seem to stop them!!:E :p
Tail Rota, thats an informative and interesting post, I had thought EK payed quite similar.
Nosey

Tail Rota
19th Mar 2006, 02:12
hi ya blue foot

Baghdaddy has outlined some of the tax issues......beer and wine is taxed up here at in Dubai at 30% and thats on top of the price after importation. we pay similar prices to the guys back home but they put 30% on top for the privilliage of buying alcohol. oh ...... and you must be licienced to buy it and store it at home.
as far as parked up planes go I haveheard the 777's have been difficult to crew and some have been parked on various days due lack of crew. Herad a great rumour about two A340's not being crewed Xmas day due lack of crew.....so things are getting tight.

UR2 yes mate DEC's are here ....... and more are coming. I believe about 100 over the next 12 months or so. this issue has been long standing here since my arrival. but even the DEC contract isnt the bees knees. it doesnt matter what seat you are in ...you are still subjected to all frustrations of living up here.

146...the UK is most definitly not third world ...however after being on layovers there for the past few years in London, Birmingham and Manchester....I can see how dubai may offer a little better life style for ya. the dirham to the pound isnt that good at the moment but am glad you are happy.:ok:

TR

ps: its raining today as I woke up...(very rare up in these parts)we are not going to leave the house ........ as the roads will be carnage today and I expect the papers to publish another day of record accidents due to people driving too close to fast and not being able to stop because of the slippery roads. hopefully no deaths but its Dubai and I expect at least a couple.

fatbus
19th Mar 2006, 02:58
beer @ 100 dhs / case all in
gas is still cheap
fees /taxes wrt property only apply to those how are not in company provided housing @ 250 pilots(expat)
no end in sight to the block hours coming down ie 100/month for the rest of your life
new hire F/O should be looking at 5-7 years for upgrade
100 upgrades on the airbus this year, based on 346's coming ,so that's old news now, your guess is as good as any
@100 DECs for the 777 ,they failed last time with the airbus
If T/C's don't change we will have a hard time getting 396 pilots this year
US recruiting drive will not get the response they want,777 DEC's, they think the package is a joke
The new villas at Oasis City are not that bad , flew with 2 guys going out there and are looking forward to it,
Some guys are being told to move or pay the difference , housing department not being very reasonable to deal with
Schools don't seem to be a problem lately and the fees seem to be almost covered except ASD/DAA elementary , please correct me if wrong

ys120fz
19th Mar 2006, 03:28
BA146 if you're nearly "set up" after six years in the middle east (I presume you mean financially set up), you're not working for EK, or you've just won the Arab equivalent of Tattslotto. EK does not pay that much.
Maybe you mean another "set up".

Gnadenburg
19th Mar 2006, 04:10
According to reliable sources, flying for Emirates is not unlike the old joke "Death or Bongo?"

But after what has happend to conditions of service in Australia, perhaps the low cost culprits do deserve 'Death by Bongo'. With the cruel end being perpetrated by managers with names like Mohammed or Jassim, instead of the desert island, native sodomites in the Bongo joke! :}

Tail Rota
19th Mar 2006, 04:44
ys120fz

mate that was hilarious...I couldnt stop laughing.....:ok: :ok: :ok:

wayne_krr
19th Mar 2006, 05:11
If you come to Dubai with a family and you have a job flying jets in Oz then you are a goose.

Dubai is a modern form of apartheid where local citizens have all the rights and temporary residents have few.

Temporary residents, that is anyone who must requalify for a visa every three years, can only own property (and there is still some question at the federal level as to whether they own anything) in designated zones. Sort of Soweto for the middle class.

In matters of the law only locals are guaranteed fair or favoured treatment. Try flipping the bird to a large car with blacked out windows as it cuts you off in the rush to get to the next coffee house. Or try seeing justice done when you are a young women gang raped by six young men after stumbling out of a club and then having two of them get off on lack of evidence and the rest get no more than two years.

The paper today states that the UAE is officially the most dangerous place in the world to drive. I'm sorry Saudi is the worst, the UAE is next.

Even though the industrial climate in Oz is changing for pilots, try having no protection. The companies reaction to most things is 'if you don't like it leave'. That's a big call when you've already moved everyone half way round the world at considerable cost and stress. Try having an accident in an aeroplane and see how much help you get from the bosses. The last lads who tried were first sacked, then reinstated to mindless ground jobs on appeal and two years later given their positions back, although the captain became an FO. Admittedly they must take some responsibility for what happened but the systemic failures were so big we lost tribes of mice in the cheese. We have a saftey department but they can't tell us about major accidents of our own for fear of the information getting out. It's a secret you see, even to our own pilots.

With or without DECs you will be looking at quite a few years on FO's pay before command. If you have kids expect not to have much left over for the pleasure of making the sheikhs even richer men. If your a DEC you'll love it though, as long as flying 90-100 hours a month in MFF, not getting leave when you want it having to ask for permission to leave Dubai is your thing.

Otherwise it's all good, new aeroplanes, lots of different nationalities to fly with, they pay you on time within a day or two and you'll learn how admired we Aussies are by the kiwis, poms and yarpies.

FlareArmed
19th Mar 2006, 11:13
For those interested, I got the email pasted below, today. For background, I put in a token application post Ansett collapse in 2001, but was never really serious about the sand pit. However, all of a sudden, they seem to be keen.
"I am writing to you in relation to your application to join Emirates as Flight crew. We are currently reviewing your application and to process further we require you to update in full all required details.
Please access our website at www.emiratesgroupcareers.com
Here you will find our latest requirements as well as a link to the on-line application.
Thank you for your interest in Emirates"

tinpis
19th Mar 2006, 22:33
That used to be "death by Boonga!" :rolleyes:

Howard Hughes
20th Mar 2006, 00:37
That used to be "death by Boonga!" :rolleyes:
When I was young it was "death by Bunjeeee":eek:

EngineOut
20th Mar 2006, 07:40
Just recieved the following by email:

Emirates Airlines of Dubai, UAE are conducting information and simulator evaluation sessions in Australia, and one information session in Auckland during April for Captain and First Officer positions. Interested pilots may attend an open day as detailed below.

Australia Information Sessions:

Hilton Airport Hotel,
Melbourne Airport
1st April from 1330 to 1700
7th April from 1400 to 1800

Duxton Hotel
No 1 St. Georges Terrace
Perth, WA
2nd April from 1400 to 1800

Sofitel Wentworth,
61-101 Phillip Street
Sydney, NSW
3rd April from 1800-2030

Sofitel Brisbane
249 Turbot Street
Brisbane, QLD
4th April from 1130 to 1430

New Zealand Information Session:

Centra Auckland Airport
Corner of Kirkbride & Ascot Road,
Airport Oaks
Auckland
6th April from 0900-1200

Simulator evaluations are scheduled to take place in Melbourne during the first two weeks of April. Suitably qualified applicants with an active online application will be considered for a simulator evaluation. Minimum requirements may be viewed at www.emiratesgroupcareers.com where applications may be made for Captain and First Officer positions.

We look forward to meeting with you at one of our sessions.

Thank you for your interest in Emirates.

Emirates Pilot Recruitment

3 Holer
20th Mar 2006, 14:00
Regarding Emirates, I saw this on another thread and thought it relevant to anyone thinking of a career change.

A quick half an hour should make you realise that Things there (at Emirates) aren't what they used to be but then again, where are they nowdays?

GTP
20th Mar 2006, 14:14
leave oz for Dubai. you must be mad. definitly no grass here..... its not what it seems!!!!!!!

ratpoison
20th Mar 2006, 16:28
Most of them will walk in blind folded and have already made their minds up. Trust EK to have to do interviews out in Oz as they know that when most come to this shi#hole of a place, people very quickly begin to have second thoughts. :cool:

Vorsicht
20th Mar 2006, 21:50
Some fine advice there by Ratpoison.

I have no idea what the "new" interview process taking place in Oz and US will involve. i.e will it be just a stage one like CX with second round to follow in Dubai, or will job offers be made based on the OS recruiting day and Sim ride.

This is a critical point. Like HK, Dubai is not a place you want to commit to until you have seen it. And more importantly, if you are married, it is essential you bring the missus over for a look before you commit. Happy wife, Happy life.

Many of our colleagues have had their life turned upside down due to the fact their wife can't handle the 'pit, and its enlightened attitudes towards women.

Be careful guys.

singleseater
21st Mar 2006, 12:28
The sims outside Dabai are just to save money and time. The EK sims are so busy they can not pysically get enough time on them. Oh and yes, they are short of sim drivers also it is easier to weed out the large number who can't fly before hand.
Process change has been in the wind for some time. Will prob be used in Canada and Europe, poss even east-asia.
There will still be a selection process in DXB. You will still have to pay to get here yourself.
Dubai is very much a place you and yours should see before you come.
Keep discovering

Jetsbest
21st Mar 2006, 22:41
What if said interviews are not for DXB basing at all? What if they're fishing for interest in foreign-based positions? If EK are as aggro a boss as some imply they may not need to offer such slots for the relocation of their existing expats; just fill basings on J*+1% conditions with new hires perhaps? Any takers? Time will tell.

ps Absolutely NO inside knowledge to back up this rumour!!!

Vorsicht
22nd Mar 2006, 00:42
I have no inside info either, but i would bet a months pay that they have given that serious consideration.

Howard Hughes
22nd Mar 2006, 03:50
What if they're fishing for interest in foreign-based positions? If they were to do this without first offering it to current expats, I think they would have a mass walk out on their hands, this would lead to even more aircraft sitting idle.
In order to fill the slots for the aircraft they are talking about in the next 10 years, at some stage they will have to offer alternative bases. When and if they do, it will surely shake up the industry yet again.

Cheers, HH.:ok:

DISCLAIMER: Like the previous two posters, I have absolutely no inside info either, just my personal observations.

propaganda
22nd Mar 2006, 13:09
EK recruitment Dept deny any such rumour about O/Seas Bases ......SO IT MUST BE TRUE..SYD/AKL:ok:

pakeha-boy
22nd Mar 2006, 15:15
Had an EK Jumpseater out of KJFK-KLAX....last night....his comments reflect the negative posts that are displayed here.....the bottom line here,is you have choices.....but for those of you who have never been,visited,holidayed in the land of sand.....go to the dubai 7s first....take a look around,it is a stark contrast to living in kiwi/Oz etc......not much "P@Ssy "ether....PB

BAE146
22nd Mar 2006, 23:00
I have good news and bad news Bwana.............

Good news: Basings outside of DXB have been muted in the Hall of Fame.

Bad news: Interviews in US and Oz are for DXB basing only.

PB your comment regarding pussy - you really should get out a bit more on layovers or start socialising with the cabin crew. :E :E :E

Robssupra
23rd Mar 2006, 03:19
To any fellow Pilot that might have further info. on this recruitment process.

What is this recruitment like? Is it similar to what has become common way of poaching Pilots in a nicest possible way, called Open Day, where you go in for a couple of minutes, introduce yourself, pass on any paperwork that you might have and get the hell out of there, or is it a little more organised involving a real interview?

Another question. Has anybody been invited to this recruitment ( especially the ones in OZ, or can anybody meeting the qualifications show up on the day?

Any info. will be highly appreciated. Thanks to all. Safe skies.

aero979
26th Mar 2006, 22:13
Does anyone know how minimum these minimum requirements are??? Is Emirates likely to look at anyone who does not meet them, due to lack of crews and aircraft sitting idle on the tarmac???

tinpis
26th Mar 2006, 22:25
Does anyone know how minimum these minimum requirements are??? Is Emirates likely to look at anyone who does not meet them, due to lack of crews and aircraft sitting idle on the tarmac???

Wondered how long it would be before the private pilots started asking..:rolleyes:

aero979
26th Mar 2006, 22:29
mate not a private pilot, just a pilot who has been in GA for long enough and prepared to give anything a crack...

Truth Seekers Int'nl
26th Mar 2006, 23:47
.......spoke to a mate of mine from emirates in london last week and they need fifty five (55) captains by the beginning of june '06 or a lot of aircraft ain't gonna fly.......reckon if you can walk in to the interviews on the 1st & 2nd april with an atpl and a bit of jet time you'll get a job..........good luck all you virgin and qf drivers............

Chimbu chuckles
27th Mar 2006, 10:10
pakeha boy...I write this sitting in a wireless internet cafe in DXB. This time of year the weather is wonderfull...lunch yesterday at the DOSC (Dubai Offshore Sailing Club). 4 mths of the year is hell on earth though....and as for pussy? Just like traffic jams Dubai is awash with it:ok:

ratpoison
27th Mar 2006, 17:55
Oh dear oh dear, yet another on their honeymoon. :yuk:

evyjet
27th Mar 2006, 20:27
And it's beautiful weather in Iraq too!!

And after your pussy hunt, don't forget the clinic mate! Some very exotic STDs there, and in much higher percentages than most places too! That would be because the Locals never get tested, and beleive they are immune to such things.

Be VERY careful going to Emirates! Make sure you go to Dubai for at least a couple of weaks. Hire a car and drive around......but make sure you're very well insured, and have a couple vials of Valium!:eek:

evyjet

Gnadenburg
28th Mar 2006, 00:56
And after your pussy hunt, don't forget the clinic mate! Some very exotic STDs there, and in much higher percentages than most places too! That would be because the Locals never get tested, and beleive they are immune to such things.evyjet

Yes. The STD's in that part of the world can be 'exotic'.

Tokyo Rose, brought out of the jungles of Cambodia by American GI's, incapacitated a Bulgarian Antonov crew out of Sharjah, who arranged a three for the price of two deal with a local honey pot. What is Tokyo rose? A horrible infection; think of a big, red rose in full bloom- pouring Vodka
on affected areas doesn't help.

Or a friend of af a friend, Mohammed, who flies for a Qatar Airways. He picked up a horrible affliciton off a Russian girlfriend. The specialist treatment in Europe was embarrassing. He says she admitted to making movies involving farm animals. Although, you have to be suspicious of anyone who flies for an airline with a goat painted on it's tail!

Keep Discovering. :(

Chimbu chuckles
28th Mar 2006, 09:07
No not in the honeymoon phase...not living in DXB merely RON...I am based about 8 hrs east of DXB.

I would not chose to live in DXB...the traffic is a nightmare...the worst I have ever seen...and summer in DXB is a nightmare....but this time of year the weather is very nice.

But I spend many nights a mth here on layovers and have more than a few mates at EK to drink beer with...and I here all the moans...EK is NOT a great gig if you already have a jet job.

As to the female of the species...there is a HELL of a lot here besides the Russian and Chinese hookers...personally I have come to believe that DXB is virtually run by the Russian Mob....but don't forget 5000 EK FAs and the FAs from the various Corporate Jet operations....there is NO shortage of 'nice' females in DXB.:ok:

propaganda
28th Mar 2006, 13:18
Blimey mate...Forget the Shelia's...You should try the real thing :} CAMELS:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

ratpoison
28th Mar 2006, 13:44
yeah, but geeez, you have to watch out for the teeth. :)

woftam
28th Mar 2006, 23:28
You also have to get in early so you don't get an ugly one.:E

Gnadenburg
29th Mar 2006, 02:23
Blimey mate...Forget the Shelia's...You should try the real thing :} CAMELS:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Join the queue! Ships of the desert they say.

I don't know how EK gets away with dragging pilots away from sophisticated Western societies - NZ not included- and paying them crap ( you won't clear 6000AUD a month as a new joiner F/O ). All to live in an obscene, greedy evolution of a 13th century culture where your viewed as a slave and your wife/daughters as whores.

BAE146
29th Mar 2006, 06:09
You will clear 6000AUD a month and that (tax free) equates to over 10,000 AUD a month + accomodation is free + schooling +cheap fuel and cars.

I don't mind doing a bit of "slaving" for that kinda money Gnads0 ! :ok:

As for the women being treated like whores, I've seen a lot of that back in the Olde Dart Mate so it doesn't really come into play.

Gnadenburg
29th Mar 2006, 07:46
That's less than a QF F/O! But you do get a free house in the desert I suppose.:ok:

3 Holer
29th Mar 2006, 22:21
QF F/Os earning over $120,000 a year ? No wonder Dixon wants them to take a pay cut.

donpizmeov
30th Mar 2006, 05:21
Thats one way of looking at it 3 holer. Or perhaps others should be paid more? How much of a bonus is GD making by increasing unemployment in OZ (how many maintaince jobs has he cut?) and lowering pilots slaries (jet*)? But I guess thats ok.

Don

Animalclub
30th Mar 2006, 06:32
... and lowering pilots slaries (jet*)? But I guess thats ok. Don

Don

According to a poster (possibly a pilot) on another thread no pilots' salary has been reduced. Is this incorrect?

Transition Layer
30th Mar 2006, 07:36
Animalclub,

You're quite correct in saying that no-one's salary has been reduced - yet!

It's all about the precedence that has been set for future negotiations. People failing to see the big picture yet again!

TL

donpizmeov
30th Mar 2006, 07:49
I guess it depends on how you look at it Animalclub. The salary of the pilots that will be flying the routes that were once operated by QF crews and soon to be operated by Jet* crews will be less, so I guess that is one way of cutting salaries isn't it?

Don

Johhny Utah
30th Mar 2006, 08:39
I don't mean to burst your bubble, but Qantas S/O's can clear $6K per month - yes, that's after tax. Sure, there's no housing/schooling/cheap petrol, but you do get to live pretty much wherever you like in Oz (or perhaps Singapore!)

The only slaving required is pandering to the eccentricities of some on the flight deck at times :rolleyes:

Redstone
30th Mar 2006, 09:29
Spot on the money Johhny, and that s/o is, as previously discussed, a "cruise pilot". The QF s/o's plying the pacific are pulling down good coin for minimal tours, but I spose someone has to tune the radio.......

Jetsbest
30th Mar 2006, 12:45
MOST QF S/Os had to have the requisites for command just to get through the door (cadets and some G/A backgrounds excluded).... not gloating, just the facts about company criteria.

In augmented crew operations most airlines use up to 2 Captains and 2 F/Os. QF has used S/Os for 30+ years and saved a mozza compared to other airlines, some of which have in the last 10 years caught onto the idea, yet folks here still seem to delight in inane comparions of pay vs job description.

S/O's pay is pegged to a sub-50% fraction of the Captains on the aircraft they crew. In most other longhaul airlines they would be pulling F/O pay of around 65% of Captain's pay.

In the Qantas pilot structure S/Os make up the largest single rank-group by a substantial margin due to the nature of its large long-haul network.

So can someone explain to me again how a QF crew of 1 Captain, 1 F/O and 2 S/Os is SO expensive?

Yes, it's a crying shame that QF has some of the most highly-qualified 'radio operators' and 'flight log fillers' in the world on so little pay already. It's also a shame that such efficient and cost-effective 'experience' is apparently so easily overlooked by management when comparison stats are selected at contract renewal time.:hmm:

ps Johnny, just because some 'can' (744, seniority & overtime) doesn't mean that most 'do'. Don't believe eveything you read.:ok:

pps Reddo, 'good coin' is a relative thing and compared to the F/O pay-rates at many other long-haul airlines, S/O pay just does not win. A tinge of envy there? But Johnny is right; 'pandering to the eccentricities of some on the flight deck' can be an effort at times!

Johhny Utah
30th Mar 2006, 20:25
Most of the circa 4 year S/O's that I know do mainly LA flights, due to minimal time away from home & max money for given hours (based on the overtime). $3K clear per fortnight isn't a stretch by any means. Taking a look at the senioirty of most LA flights, most S/O's with more than about 2 years senioirty should be able to pretty much build a roster consisting of predominantly LA trips no sweat. Sure, there are guys who are doing London/Europe flights who may not be on as much money (less overtime), but generally they're the guys who are happy to loudly proclaim that they can't stand doing LA's as they're boring flying/slips...

I'm not for one moment suggesting that QF S/O's are overpaid - as Jetsbest has stated, Qantas make a huge saving by employing S/O's, so there's no reason for everyone to start carrying on about how overpaid they are...:rolleyes:

donpizmeov
30th Mar 2006, 20:48
You know Johhny U, I don't think anyone, apart from you and the rest of the QF appreciation society had even mentioned the money handed to SOs. At the moment EK do not hire SOs, so calm down will ya.

Don

N2O
31st Mar 2006, 04:48
What about the ones who didn't make it to the 744 due to the QF first day lotto? There is huge pay disparity between 744 & B767/A330/Classic.
A four year 744 SO can make about the same as an 8 year B737 FO doing 850+ stick hours.

Pete Conrad
31st Mar 2006, 07:00
N20....I have no problem with the 850? hours at the "window" seat. Who has the better flying? No money can buy that.

Elroy Jettson
31st Mar 2006, 11:46
Sorry Pete Conrad, if you want a window seat flying 850 a year, try jetstar! I believe your money will "buy that" over there! You're in luck too! They are hiring! And will quite willingly take your money! :ok:

Please dont tell me you are seriously saying that FOs shouldn't be paid more than SO's because they are getting to stay in the seat for take off and landing? :confused: With that logic, captains should have to pay to come to work because they get more fun than everybody! They get to sit in a window seat, take off and land, and make decisions too! No ammount of money could buy that!!! :8

Not being harsh mate, but are you serious?

N2O
31st Mar 2006, 21:58
Yes the B737 FO has the better flying. However, there are little in the way of financial or lifestyle incentives to a window seat. It all depends on what you want out of the job & what you need in your logbook. After 4 years most SO's can change seats, many choose to stay SO's for 10+ years however.

Pete Conrad
1st Apr 2006, 01:47
Well Elroy, guess some of us are in the business to fly, not being harsh mate, but go tell someone else to suck eggs.