PDA

View Full Version : Just got a speeding ticket, will this affect flying work?

steve181
15th Mar 2006, 04:20
Opinions of those in New Zealand preferred, but all opinions welcomed.

I was going 71km/hr in a 50km/hr zone. The road is a bit of a trap because it's a rural road but classed as a residential area. So I got fined and 35 demerit points. Is this offense enough for me to have problem's applying for flying work in the future or is it next to irrelvant?

Thanks.

Capt Claret
15th Mar 2006, 04:32
35 POINTS, Holy snapping duckbills, Batman. In most Oz states it's 12 points and off the road. Not in the Territory thankfully.

Anyhow, I've not had too many speeding tickets in recent years but none have shown up and I haven't had to divulge them when applying for security clearances.

Poto
15th Mar 2006, 04:34
Short answer NO

If you had cleaned someone up at that speed, in that speed zone, then you may be looking at Criminal negligence.

Like going DUI, Ok if nothing happens, but if you run over a pedestrian then you may have trouble passing a criminal history check:{

Tempo
15th Mar 2006, 04:34
Yep, give it all away now!!! If it was only a crime which might affect your ability to obtain a security clearance etc then I would say no problems, but a speeding fine is really pushing it as far as future employment goes......

steve181
15th Mar 2006, 04:42
Yep, give it all away now!!! If it was only a crime which might affect your ability to obtain a security clearance etc then I would say no problems, but a speeding fine is really pushing it as far as future employment goes......

Huh? You can't be serious? :sad:

steve181
15th Mar 2006, 04:48
35 POINTS, Holy snapping duckbills, Batman. In most Oz states it's 12 points and off the road.

NZ must have a different system because 35 points is nothing really, If you stay below 100 for 2 years all the points get wiped. ;)

mattyj
15th Mar 2006, 05:19
No mate, that information won't be available to anyone hiring you..
..things to watch out for are:
-dangerous behaviour when flying
-sleeping with someone higher up the foodchains missus..(or boyfriend)
-talking about people behind their back while drinking at the aeroclub bar
-being a really bad pilot
-being too good..
-too many posts on pprune..oops gotta go

Monopole
15th Mar 2006, 05:54
If you had cleaned someone up at that speed, in that speed zone, then you may be looking at Criminal negligence.

Chances are that you would still be able to obtain an ASIC (which is probably the real issue with not being employed). Even though the above accident would more then likely land you with a Criminal Record (in Oz at least), it is not the type of criminal record that is of concern.

I know plently of pilots who have been done for DUI (some more than once), Dangerous driving, had been the cause of an accident, and (like most of us have at least once) busted for speeding, and we are all still flying.

So unless you got pinged speeding while driving the get-away car from an armed hold up, I wouldn't be too concerned :} :}

Tempo
15th Mar 2006, 09:05
Steve181,
Surely you cant be serious thinking I was serious!
Somehow I dont think a company is going to be too worried if you were in a bit of a rush one day. I know of guys with assault on their records and it certainly has not stopped them from getting an airline gig.
Parking tickets on the other hand......

*Lancer*
15th Mar 2006, 10:44
Fraud or violence are the only crimes that will prevent you from obtaining an ASIC. I'm not even sure airlines get access to your full record anyway... it's a 'check' not a download of your whole history.

Mr. Hat
15th Mar 2006, 12:04
Nearly everybody gets a speeding fine sooner or later. Its a way of life mate.

Lancer has got it in one. I think if you have assault to your name you might be in some trouble.

steve181
15th Mar 2006, 18:01
Thanks guys, I've got it all in perspective now. lol.

LocoDriver
15th Mar 2006, 19:11
A speeding fine is a 'minor' infringement, but ensure you pay the fine 'on time'
If not, it becomes a court offence, and this sort of thing starts to come under the 'fit and proper person' clause, as does collecting over 100 demerit points within two years, drink driving, careless use etc etc.

I am sure all of us have had a minor speeding offence of some sort- overtaking a policeman in a 70k zone is not reccomended, must have thought I was driving home in the 152!

Pilots must stay with a clean drivers licence, as this is checked during security checks.

Cheers
:ok: :ok:

empacher48
15th Mar 2006, 21:31
It has mostly been covered here, but in NZ with the "Fit and Proper" person test they are really looking at major offences.. Like being drunk while driving too fast and cleaning up a bus full of old ladies on the way to the bowling green, may be a little too much to hold a NZ Licence.

Having held a... erm... few speeding tickets over the last few years, it hasn't come up on the fit and proper person tests I've had to do over the last 6 months.

onya
15th Mar 2006, 21:54
After a turbulent youth I ended up with quite a considerable 'traffic' file. For a recent job I had to provide proof of no criminal history. Applied as required through the police and it came back fine. No criminal history (I already knew that) and no mention is misdemeanours on the roads. I wouldn't give it another thought.

Tarq57
16th Mar 2006, 07:52
What pinged you? Speed camera? Or laser gun? Don't worry. You only risk becoming a victim of the social engineering that says "speed kills". (And then conveniently fails to address stuff like inattention, judgement, handling skills etc because they are awkward to police.)
Keep your eyes open for those octagon shaped patches on the road. I find staying within 9k of the limit works.:E

Pinky the pilot
16th Mar 2006, 08:08
Was once informed by a Lawyer acquaintance here in South Australia that if a court of law cancels your driver's licence that any pilot's licence is also cancelled for the same period of time that your driver's licence is suspended.:uhoh:

You only live twice. Once when
you're born. Once when
you've looked death in the face.