PDA

View Full Version : Reinstalling stuff ..

The Voice
15th Mar 2006, 03:10
My dear Gurus' .. if one wanted to do a clean install of the OS and other programmes, how does one go about it?

(I've had a few dramas of late, the computer seller has indicated that it is a software problem and that a clean reinstall will fix all issues.)

I know I need to save files and the like and need to clean the hard drive, but just how do I do it - clean the hard drive that is?

Richard Spandit
15th Mar 2006, 03:20
If you are sure everything is backed up, and you have all the installation disks available for your software, you can then boot your computer using a DOS floppy disk (yeuch) or the Windows XP CD. I think there is a recovery console option available on boot, and from there you can do something like:

FORMAT C:

If I had the choice, I'd download "eraser" and erase the whole disk first...

XL5
15th Mar 2006, 05:02
Depends on the O/S you're playing with. Windows 2000 + XP isn't DOS based and the friendly Windows 98 commands such as Format and Fdisk have been replaced by a setup management utility found on the Windows 2000/XP program CD. Note that an off the shelf generic CD for installing Windows won't necessarily have the specific drivers for your machine, but you don't need to know anything about this.............

........as it's best to play the get out of jail free card. Simply enter the Bios to change the boot sequence to the CD-ROM drive (any prat can do it, I did) and boot from the manufacturer's reinstallation disc(s) . Takes about 40 minutes, O/S and required drivers are installed as you drink coffee and watch the computer do its thing. Very impressive it is too, sort of like having your computer amiably possessed by Bill Gates. Good idea though to keep the fingers crossed; if you're the nervous type take a snooze and it'll all be over when you wake up. Hopefully.

If you don't have a reinstallation disc set consider purchasing one from the manufacturer, they're not expensive. As you mentioned, any data on the Hard Drive will be lost, so save anything you want to keep, which is not that difficult as CD-RW burners are able to gobble up data in 800M blocks. There are ways of plugging programs around files left on the HD (CDs for doing this are available on eBay- surprise, surprise) but it's not a technique for the feint of heart.

Capt Claret
15th Mar 2006, 08:03
That bluddy apple of yours Voice. When are you gunna see the light and go PC? :p

Been there, done that but not on an Apple. Try PMing ITCZ, he's fond of saying "The Box said, Microsoft Windows XP or better. So we bought a Macintosh!"

The Voice
15th Mar 2006, 10:31
My dear Clarrie,

When I became a Mrs recently I inherited a new all singing and dancing PC - you know, a non apple thing.

I'm damn sure if I'd stuck to my guns and held out for a noo wun, I'd be anywhere but in this predicalment that I'm in now!!!

Of course I thoroghly enjoy Uni tutes over a ruddy phone!!! grrrrr .....

my challenge tomorrow will be to follow the sage advise of XL5 .. and another buddy over the phone from TSV .. yay .. more bloody phone time.