PDA

View Full Version : Float Stuff

Dicko183
15th Mar 2006, 01:10
Hi Guys ,
Any advice on getting into float industry. Im at that fork in the road and are looking at an endorsement for later on.Not sure in regards to getting into the float industry in Australia. Any higlights that people can share.

Cheers guys

And get amongst it.

VH-XXX
15th Mar 2006, 02:05
There's been plenty of chit-chat on this topic over time. Have a quick search. There was a full dialogue only 2 months ago that listed practically every float plane operator and instructor in the country.

disco_air
15th Mar 2006, 08:08
Go get a float endorsement just for the hell of it, even if you never fly 'em again...great fun!

But im sure once you've had a go at floats, you'll want to fly them again :)

I have gathered from mates that there is alot of demand for floaties these days anyway. (Feel free to correct me, but this is made from observations of other mates in the float career)

...Disco

Dicko183
16th Mar 2006, 01:33
Cheers guys ,
Yeah just been looking at getting pretty involved but had the fear of getting so far and going no where else. Has anyone heard of or been involved in getting into the float stuff over in the Maldives or in Canada. And would they recomend the experience.

Dicko183

Sunfish
16th Mar 2006, 02:19
Rod at Melbourne Seaplanes will do you an floaty endorsement on his C182

Squawk7700
16th Mar 2006, 03:52
Sunfish, I took a photo of it recently when I was down there. I thought it was a 185 ? Just wondering...

zakpeegoodus
16th Mar 2006, 05:57
Rod has a couple of C-185s…He is real nice fella and would be happy to give you some general advice.

I worked in Canada flying a C-185 on floats in 2002, it was the most rewarding flying I’ve done! At the time I had 1000 hours total with 250 on floats, a working holiday visa, and a couple of grad to convert to the Canadian CPL. I was extremely lucky to get work there and I only just met the insurance minimums…With less float time I would not have been employable...

I’ve been trying off and on for a job in the Maldives. I even dropped in there to see the operators. Jobs are available if you are a Twin Otter seaplane captain. Otherwise local Maldivians are filling the first officer positions. My impression of the place was it would be great for the money ( $6,000+ US$ per month tax free for Captains) but it would not be such a great place to live…

The number of seaplane jobs in Australia is very limited – however if you can crack into it you will be in demand and get to play in some nice places! Unfortunately, there is very little demand for zero time seaplane pilots – but that is not to say don’t go for it…Unless you are very lucky, you will need in the region of 1,000 hours total time in addition to a float endorsement to have a crack at a job. I know people who have broken in with far less total time, but they lived in the town where they obtained employment, helped out with washing aircraft etc, and generally pestered the operator for a considerable time.
You could make a career out of seaplanes in Australia so long as you aren’t hoping for big money – it is more of a lifestyle thing…
Whose is better off, someone living on the beach in the tropics with coconut trees all around, (chicks in bikinis too!)and home every night, or someone earning a great deal more, but spending their life in hotels and twiddling their thumbs at 30,000 feet between one big stinking city and the next? Only you can say for yourself…As for me, since I started flying floats (with a few exceptions due to unscrupulous operators) works is much the same as a holiday.

Outside Australia there is money to be made in floats, but then most of the positions are for turbine drivers and you are competing against highly experienced pilots for those positions…Something like 2,500 total time, 1000 floats, 1,500 water landings, and 500 turbine would be a minimum for most of these jobs around the world.
-Interstingly I know of 2 Aussies recently sponsored to fly for companies in Canada, but they have much turbine float time…Still the fact that seaplane companis in Canada of all places are sponsering ex-pat pilots is a positive development from my selfish perspective!

As you are in Townsville pop down to see the boys at Airle beach too…just remember that it is a very small industry in Australia, everyone knows everyone else – so be sure to make that work for you rather than against!

As disco air says, go get a float endorsement just for the hell of it, you’ll enjoy doing the rating and with persistence after that you might get lucky!

bushy
16th Mar 2006, 07:04
A few years ago my wife and I went on a scenic flight in a C206 floatplane in Hawai. The PIC, who was also the operator told us he knew of a pilot with 29000 hours on floats, and he was trying to beat that total. He had about 1000 hours to go.!

runway16
16th Mar 2006, 20:30
Zak was right when he said beware of dodgy operators.

One Australian particular operator has just that reputation. He pays less than what would be expected for the skills required. His pilots typically only do one season with him before moving on then next season there is quite a learning curve for the new pilot.

Float operators can also be seasonsal, busy for half the year and shop-shut for the rest.